Sponsored

Getrag MT82 (Bullitt) vs Tremec-6060 (GT-350/GT-500) question?

mavmrb3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brady
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt-DHG | 2010 Yaris 3Dr HB |
I'm should be ordering my 2020MY Bullitt in late January for hopefully June delivery. I have been on various sites including YouTube to find out if there has been any harsh mechanical issues with the Bullitt?I found out a lot of owners of the manual transmission 2017, 2018, 2019 Mustang GT were complaining about the Getrag MT82 being used. The shift fork breaks too often being aluminum. Ford replaces it again with the same aluminum fork. I know there has not been any problems with the Tremec-6060 used in the GT-350 and GT-500. So, I’m hearing all these recurring issues with the newer MT82 breaking causing major manual transmission problems. It’s holding me off from ordering a 2020.

1. Should I be worried and a little apprehensive of the upcoming purchase?
2. I believe the 2020MY Bullitt iis using the MT82?
3. Is this just Internet complainers and this not being a common issue?
4. Could it be more of a driver error, shifting too hard or redlining the shift?
5. Why didn't ford use the Tremec for the limited edition?

Has anybody heard about this? Is Ford addressing this if the case?

Regards...
Sponsored

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
I'm should be ordering my 2020MY Bullitt in late January for hopefully June delivery. I have been on various sites including YouTube to find out if there has been any harsh mechanical issues with the Bullitt?I found out a lot of owners of the manual transmission 2017, 2018, 2019 Mustang GT were complaining about the Getrag MT82 being used. The shift fork breaks too often being aluminum. Ford replaces it again with the same aluminum fork. I know there has not been any problems with the Tremec-6060 used in the GT-350 and GT-500. So, I’m hearing all these recurring issues with the newer MT82 breaking causing major manual transmission problems. It’s holding me off from ordering a 2020.

1. Should I be worried and a little apprehensive of the upcoming purchase? I wouldn't
2. I believe the 2020MY Bullitt iis using the MT82? Yes
3. Is this just Internet complainers and this not being a common issue? Likely
4. Could it be more of a driver error, shifting too hard or redlining the shift? Not all failures are from abuse but certainly some are
5. Why didn't ford use the Tremec for the limited edition? $$$

Has anybody heard about this? Is Ford addressing this if the case?

Regards...

OP
OP
mavmrb3

mavmrb3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brady
Vehicle(s)
Thanks.

This is what I saw:

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Supposedly, the 19 model year MT82 got revised shift forks. Hopefully they corrected the problem.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I haven't seen anything newer than a very early 2019 break a fork, which aligns with when they say they updated the part. I haven't seen ANY Bullitts do it.

It's sad that even the i4 Camaro gets a Tremec but we get the MT82, but that said, while its not as refined at the Tremec, it's not a junk box that people make it out to be. People are putting 700+ HP through them just fine. Just upgrade the shifter if you find it a bit notchy and forget about it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mavmrb3

mavmrb3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brady
Vehicle(s)
Supposedly, the 19 model year MT82 got revised shift forks. Hopefully they corrected the problem.
Thanks. This reassures me for my upcoming purchase.

OP
OP
mavmrb3

mavmrb3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brady
Vehicle(s)
I haven't seen anything newer than a very early 2019 break a fork, which aligns with when they say they updated the part. I haven't seen ANY Bullitts do it.

It's sad that even the i4 Camaro gets a Tremec but we get the MT82, but that said, while its not as refined at the Tremec, it's not a junk box that people make it out to be. People are putting 700+ HP through them just fine. Just upgrade the shifter if you find it a bit notchy and forget about it.
Good advice. I test drove a GT-350 and must the Tremec shifts really nice. There is a difference with the Bullitt shift, but its not too bad compared to the Tremec.
Thanks.

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
The 6 speed used in the GT500 is not the same unit as used in the GT350, which is a TR-3160 with one overdrive gear, and not two as is the 6060. The 3160 uses ratios similar to the original MT-82 which was used in 2011-2017 Mustangs and is a close ratio unit. Starting with the 2018 Mustang GT the transmission was designated the MT-82 D4, because 4th gear is direct and both 5th and 6th gears are overdrive. It is now more of a wide ratio unit like the 6060. IMO it greatly contributes to the relaxed driving style of the Bullitt and would probably respond better to a supercharger than the original design with a steep ratio 1st and 2nd gear. Ford and Getrag built a joint venture plant in China to build the MT 82 (now the MT82 D4). I believe the Tremec is built in Mexico. The MT82 transmission was updated several times since its introduction. I’ve had zero problems in over 30k miles between two of them and would not worry about their reliability.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
From my understanding through this forum and on FB, the 2018 Mustangs had a bad, porous casting batch. The majority, if not all, of them break from just normal use. Mine let go around 6200 miles. Back then Ford was replacing them with the same fork with some having them break again. Usually the ones breaking them after the early builds are people “abusing” them, shifting hard.... but not always. Ford/Getrag revised and beefed up the fork. I think I’ve only seen 1 maybe 2 19+ with broken forks. Like all things you can find on C6G about broken trans, in the GT350 pages about broken trans, like any other performance based manual transmission car. If you have a problem you have a warranty.

That said I have a love hate with my car, I love it and hate the trans, until it finally broke, and while there I had them put in a Mantic clutch and since then I’ve loved the car again. It was bad that at one time I was ready to take a loss and give it up so I could move on to something else. My friends 18 1SS 1LE shifts amazing. Mine couldn’t shift over 6k. Even with every “fix” people claimed would help. All it needed was a clutch. But we shouldn’t have to put up 2k+ to fix something that shouldn’t even be there.. Many say “driver error” but I’ve drove other mustang GT’s shifting at 7500+ super fast with no issues. Not all cars are like that. I wouldn’t worry about the trans, about the tick, the rattle... just buy the car and enjoy it.

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I agree with others who have shared their 2019 Mustang experience and the MT-82 in place - no issues and the revised forks were supposedly put in place late in the model year run of 2018s. A TSB exists with the updated parts from posts I think I have seen on this forum for the 2018 owners affected by the issue.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I had a 2011 mt82 mustang gt , 93 octane tune only and I blew the mt82 up on the street with street tires. Gave ford 3 attempts to repair it which took 97 days and I got it back and it still wasnt 100% so I ended up selling the car. I had a tr6060 CTS-V 2 years after that and that transmission was lightyears better. Missed atleast 90% less shifts, and the cts-v had 630 rwhp and it never had any problems what-so-ever even with over 90k miles on the car and no lift shifting 3-4 almost daily. Everything was perfect until I no-lift shifted 1-2 with stability control completely off and hit a pole at 50 mph. Even after that though the trans was fine but the car was totaled. Now I have the 10r80 and I like it even more than the tr6060.

QxJgtzE.jpg

Not sure about the new mt82s but hopefully they have improved since the 2011's... The problem on my mt82 was the 2nd gear syncro when I hard shifted into 2nd it blew up and I lost 2nd gear then they attempted to rebuild it, unsuccessfully 3 times over 97 days.

dyno on the V, trans had no problems with 630 torque (e60 blend for the higher run)

7UbgmOW.jpg

And pic of my 2011 when I dropped it off in 2015 with the broken transmission =/

Last edited:

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
My 2012 GTCS tranny was reliable but always notchy... even with fresh fluid. I nearly did not buy a Bullitt, but after reading about all the improvements I decided to try the MT82 (D4) one more time. IMO the MT82 D4 gear spacing is much more relaxed than the previous generation. I think the gears are also cut differently, but don’t know how or why. Is it a Tremec like that in a GT350 (TR-3160)? No, but the GT350 is a race focused car that costs $10 grand more. If that’s what you wanted, then that’s what you should have purchased. If that price is too stiff, there is no shortage of used GT350’s for sale. I’ve read that The MT82 D4 uses the same clutch as the Tremec TR-3160 used in the GT350. If you read about the TR-3160 you will find that the internals have significant heat treatment for added strength.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG

i think I’ll get a ne shifter?? What did you buy??? Thanx Pal! Ric