General Questions

HTX.S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Ok so I have a 2016 GT Premium with simple bolt ons. Exhaust, intake, and tune, and I haven’t had the car very long but this thing burns through gas abnormally quick. Today I was driving and had 185 miles to E and drove maybe 2-4 miles and has 168 miles to E. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the car, any answers would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
Ok so I have a 2016 GT Premium with simple bolt ons. Exhaust, intake, and tune, and I haven’t had the car very long but this thing burns through gas abnormally quick. Today I was driving and had 185 miles to E and drove maybe 2-4 miles and has 168 miles to E. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the car, any answers would be greatly appreciated
Distance to E is only a rough guide, depending on your current driving style it will give you a rough estimate of remaining fuel based on your driving manner i.e. spirited or tame. My 2016 acts in the same manner.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Why don't you do the actual MPG math...reset trip and when you fill up divide miles driven by gallons pumped.

That'll give you a real number. Everything else is a CPU generated number and might not be accurate. I know my "average MPG" on the dash is in the low 20's but the math comes out to mid 18's.

It's a 400 HP+ HP V8. What are you expecting mileage wise? I'm happy with anything past 18 which I'm able to do often.

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
If you think there is something wrong you might want to check to see if the thermostat is stuck open. Make sure you use a 195 degree thermostat. I also noticed when I used a SCT tune, in my now gone 05 gt, the fan speeds came on way too early. I reset them to factory settings through the tuner to keep the engine temp up.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
V8's burn gas no matter what they are in- truck or a car. I get 25 average in my 2018 GT but that's just loafing along in CC at 1500 RPM on my commute to work at 50 MPH non stop in 6th gear. That's a BEST case. So I would expect 15-20 in normal driving case scenario..

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
If you drive this car even remotely like it's meant to be driven, you won't see good MPG. If you drive this car like a Prius like some people on this forum, apparently you can get anywhere between 25 and 50 mpg out of it lol.

There's probably nothing wrong with it other than your foot. Your foot could be the weight of an anvil. What does the readout MPG number say on the car?

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
If you drive this car even remotely like it's meant to be driven, you won't see good MPG. If you drive this car like a Prius like some people on this forum, apparently you can get anywhere between 25 and 50 mpg out of it lol.

There's probably nothing wrong with it other than your foot. Your foot could be the weight of an anvil. What does the readout MPG number say on the car?
Pretty much this.

My MPG readout is a bit optimistic and reads about 1MPG higher than what I am actually getting. I believe lifetime for my car is an actual 18.5MPG

OP
OP
HTX.S550

HTX.S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Sorry for the late response but yeah I talked to a few buddies that have same year GT’s and they said that the avg is kinda bs. But I appreciate the comments and input

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Cory, what you're dealing with is an imperfect reading that changes almost immediately depending on the way you are driving at the moment. It may drop from 185 to 165 when you leave the stoplight a bit fast, but when the speed and rpms settle to normal driving the miles to empty will move higher. It's not that your car is using that much more gas, it just looks that way. For example, you reset your mpg's to zero before you drive off, give it gas and it will show say 1.2 mpg. Let off the gas, or smooth your speed out, and it will jump to say 21 mpg, hit the gas again and it will drop to say 15 mpg. I don't think you have anything to worry about, but like many of us the weight of the right foot. :)

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Price to pay for owning a V8. But IMO it's worth it, as the only alternative is to have to go the Ecoboost route :lipssealed:

My average is generally around 16 MPG, but I primarily do city-type driving (aka stop and go), and my foot is most likely made of Pb (pending the results from my doctor). I once reset my avg gas mileage right before a long highway-filled trip to see how efficient it could be, and I was amazed to see that it stuck around 28 MPG (if I remember correctly).

Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Sorry for the late response but yeah I talked to a few buddies that have same year GT’s and they said that the avg is kinda bs. But I appreciate the comments and input
There’s a way to get it pretty accurate. I adjusted mine by another members numbers he used and it’s pretty accurate to .25 - .5 mpg. Prior to that it read 1.5 mpg better than it actually was. I wish I could remember how to set it. Maybe someone can chime in. For example the table may read 0.000, I set it to something like -986 and got it pretty close to actual mpg.

sicpuppy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 Challenger Hellcat
Not only is you mileage measured as miles to the gallon. It is also miles to the gallon averaged over time.
If you reset to 0 and drive hard it will give you a low reading but over time it will average your usage based on the miles driven, gallons used and over a the amount of time you have driven.

OP
OP
HTX.S550

HTX.S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Cory, what you're dealing with is an imperfect reading that changes almost immediately depending on the way you are driving at the moment. It may drop from 185 to 165 when you leave the stoplight a bit fast, but when the speed and rpms settle to normal driving the miles to empty will move higher. It's not that your car is using that much more gas, it just looks that way. For example, you reset your mpg's to zero before you drive off, give it gas and it will show say 1.2 mpg. Let off the gas, or smooth your speed out, and it will jump to say 21 mpg, hit the gas again and it will drop to say 15 mpg. I don't think you have anything to worry about, but like many of us the weight of the right foot. :)
Haha yessir, just different getting used to the car after driving a truck for awhile. But yeah I’ve noticed the drop and it jumping back up.

OP
OP
HTX.S550

HTX.S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Price to pay for owning a V8. But IMO it's worth it, as the only alternative is to have to go the Ecoboost route :lipssealed:

My average is generally around 16 MPG, but I primarily do city-type driving (aka stop and go), and my foot is most likely made of Pb (pending the results from my doctor). I once reset my avg gas mileage right before a long highway-filled trip to see how efficient it could be, and I was amazed to see that it stuck around 28 MPG (if I remember correctly).
Yeah definitely sticking with the 5.0, I’m usually stop and go during the week but weekends are better, more highway and cruising for car meets and what not, but also the weekends is where I get heavy footed as well lol

OP
OP
HTX.S550

HTX.S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
There’s a way to get it pretty accurate. I adjusted mine by another members numbers he used and it’s pretty accurate to .25 - .5 mpg. Prior to that it read 1.5 mpg better than it actually was. I wish I could remember how to set it. Maybe someone can chime in. For example the table may read 0.000, I set it to something like -986 and got it pretty close to actual mpg.
Interesting, hopefully someone will mention something about that. I’d be curious to hear how to do that and how it works. Thanks for the info
Sponsored