General Maintenance

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hey all,

Feel a bit silly asking but now I have the GT, I want to make extra sure that I'm doing all the right things to keep it in tip top shape under the bonnet...

I ask mainly because my coolant level is sat at the MIN line - bear in mind i'm about 7 weeks in here.

Also, the dipstick in the GT is a bit fiddly (compared to the EB anyway) and I wondered if anyone else has the same? I tried a couple of times at the weekend to look at the level but the end is sort of twisted so I couldn't really figure see it.

Anyway, the question really I guess is how often you guys check/top up the coolant/oil? I will be looking to do an oil change at some point but as I'm only @ 1400 miles, I will leave that for now.

Any other general maintenance advice greatly appreciated :)

Cheers :cheers:
Sponsored

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
You are cleaning the dipstick then putting it back in then pulling it out. Ooeer missus.

Then it's pretty easy to check

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
they come low on coolant just top it up and check it every so often since I topped mine up 6 months ago its not budged off full they just come half empty as standard

I checked my oil level when light came on as they hadn't reset at pdi but its fine not bothered topping up figure i'll sort it properly when I service it at some point.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You are cleaning the dipstick then putting it back in then pulling it out. Ooeer missus.

Then it's pretty easy to check
Haha of course...I believe by design the very end of the metal is twisted - below where the small max/min marks are. Mine has an additional twist in it that either Ford or I did when I was taking out/putting in.

[MENTION=26439]hinch[/MENTION] - thanks for the info, will grab some coolant (seen the specs in the manual) and give it a little top up :)

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Oil, Coolant, Washer fluids, brake fluids etc etc, any of the clearish looking plastic tubs in the engine bay make sure they're at a good level between min and max. And then yeah, dipstick.

Obviously no leaks when driving away, making sure breaks don't lock up (Second OMM has had gibbo's locking rears issue now), so seems common on OMM V8s (ehehehe, but im serious), yada yada, you've had it 7 weeks so you've now probably got used to what's "Normal"

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Yeah, my coolant was low on delivery too. Bought from Ford and even giving them the spec, it provided a challenge for them :doh:

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
V8's eh, what you like, wish I had one :(

Oh, wait, I do :D

Just to throw a magn, oh no wait, something else in the wood pile, my coolant level has been spot on since day 1.

Last edited:

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
coolant/oil/oil filter, once a year or as and when the oil cooler fails :lol:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Anyone able to verify if this is the correct stuff;

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/for...anti-freeze_coolant_1ltr_f_1931957_c_1057.htm

Manual quotes "WSS-M97B44-D2"

The "D2" doesn't seem to exist anywhere, so I'm assuming that is the ready mixed version that's not sold to the general public?

The version in the link above just doesn't have the "2" at the end, and looks to be a concentrate.

just normal OAT pink coolant that you can buy a 5 litre concentrate (self dilute) for like ÂŁ10 at any car parts place is fine there's no magic in the coolant.
Sponsored