Gear lever pops out of first on acceleration

joshua80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2016 Cayman GT4, 2022 Raptor
Hello all. I have a 2020 350R with about 6 thousand miles on it. Lots of spirited street and backroad driving but never been tracked. I havent had this problem for quite a while, but happened again yesterday.

Stopped at a light. Shift from neutral to first. Clutch out and give it gas, move about 3 feet, and then boom, a loud thud and abrupt loss of power as the gear lever pops out of 1st and goes to neutral.

Anyone know what this is? Has happened about 5 times since new, but not in the last few thousand miles. Still have 1 year left of powertrain warranty, so I can have someone look at if if need be, but obviously a hard problem to reproduce.
Sponsored

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
Happened to me once. I think it just wasn’t pushed far enough into 1st gear position. Granted this is on the GT

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Happened to me once. I think it just wasn’t pushed far enough into 1st gear position. Granted this is on the GT
^This. It's happened to me a few times on my GT350. It's because the shifter wasn't pushed all the way into gear. Only happened when the car/transmission was cold. You think you put the shifter all the way forward because of the resistance you feel when the transmission is cold. But if you visually look at it, instead of going by feel, you'll see that it's not all the way forward. I've caught it several times by verifying by sight. The loud thud though is frightening to feel and hear. But no damage done.

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
I’ve done it 2-3 times in the 6 years I’ve had the car. Definitely wasn’t fully engaged

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
Happened 3-4 times with my 2017, mostly when it was new, nothing unusual. This shifter can "trick" you into thinking it's all the way in 1st when it's not. I just adapted by always shoving it firmly into 1st gear, then removing my hand from the shift knob before letting the clutch out to prevent grinding just in case...

Last edited:

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Happened to me once and scared the crap outta me. I was pretty new to the Tremec and happened exactly as you said. I was surprised how loud and abrupt it was. Hasn’t happened since, but I realized quickly this trans likes a bit more muscle than the Japanese import shifters I learned on require.
Sponsored