Gas prices dropping soon?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Saw a story about "smart" meters/thermostats. If i understand correctly homes with one or more of these devices can have functions controlled remotely. Thing that caught my eye was it is not only the home owner who can have control. I think the utility company can also adjust settings.

I have a sort of smart meter in that it sends the reading of my power use without a person having to read the meter. There is also a second meter near my Hot water heater that can remotely turn off the power to the heater. It often gets shout off for a time during the hot part of the afternoon.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
EU is having to cut back on power usage because of the shortage of Russian gas to power their generating stations- they've had since 2014 to get themselves away from that dependency and did not hence the issues being faced today.

Smart meters cannot be controlled by the energy company mainly because they often don't even work for sending the meter readings in the first place because crap connectivity and near zero supplier cross compatibility. (in the UK at least - can't vouch for others) Even then, unless that functionality is built in, they can't turn the system off remotely.

Smart thermostats like anything attached to the internet can be controlled from anywhere with the appropriate access or hacked if the security is as poor as most IOT items.

I have smart thermostats in the house but they are not connected to the internet or even the home network as they are not that type. They cannot be controlled by the utility company for this reason. If i'm not home, the heating is off, what's the problem ?

Folks accuse China of being the world biggest polluter - that's because they make most things we wear or use or buy to stick in a cupboard. Want to stop China using up all the fuel and killing the planet, buy less snizzle and what you do buy make sure you buy only sourced materials and built locally. Good luck to us all following that plan!

Will check fuel prices hopefully tonight, Brent is back to pre Russian invasion prices...

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Hello; Saw a story about "smart" meters/thermostats.
Duke wanted to put a remote shut off on my A/C unit and give me a rate reduction. I told them to F off. Unlike you I like my A/C :)

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Duke wanted to put a remote shut off on my A/C unit and give me a rate reduction. I told them to F off. Unlike you I like my A/C :)
Hello; I did run the central AC four nights so far this summer. The days are still hot and very humid but last several nights it is cool enough to sleep under a window fan that blows across my bed.

EDIT- thanks for the confirmation on the remote shut off by a company on the AC. That is the way i read about it, the power company can turn down or off the AC just as they can and do turn off my water heater from time to time.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
What does this have to do with gas prices?
Maybe some confusion over gas prices and gas prices - as in we call our gas petrol and our gas gas if that helps clarify it :wink:

Anyway petrol prices are falling in the UK with falling oil prices, but gas prices are still high and volatile.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The days are still hot and very humid but last several nights it is cool enough to sleep under a window fan that blows across my bed.
I'm from northern Wi. I like to sleep in cold. I set my thermostat to 68 at bedtime.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
EU is having to cut back on power usage because of the shortage of Russian gas to power their generating stations- they've had since 2014 to get themselves away from that dependency and did not hence the issues being faced today.

Smart meters cannot be controlled by the energy company mainly because they often don't even work for sending the meter readings in the first place because crap connectivity and near zero supplier cross compatibility. (in the UK at least - can't vouch for others) Even then, unless that functionality is built in, they can't turn the system off remotely.

Smart thermostats like anything attached to the internet can be controlled from anywhere with the appropriate access or hacked if the security is as poor as most IOT items.

I have smart thermostats in the house but they are not connected to the internet or even the home network as they are not that type. They cannot be controlled by the utility company for this reason. If i'm not home, the heating is off, what's the problem ?

Folks accuse China of being the world biggest polluter - that's because they make most things we wear or use or buy to stick in a cupboard. Want to stop China using up all the fuel and killing the planet, buy less snizzle and what you do buy make sure you buy only sourced materials and built locally. Good luck to us all following that plan!

Will check fuel prices hopefully tonight, Brent is back to pre Russian invasion prices...
Hello; Not clear what your points are here. It is understood that not all "smart" devices work the same way or are universally able to be controlled by anyone. My take is the home owner has to agree to have a company controlled smart device installed or instillation of the devices has to be mandated by the authorities. A carrot of lower energy cost on one hand or a stick of mandates on the other hand.

That last bit about how China is a hoot. That big companies move their manufacturing plants to places with weaker environmental, labor and safety rules is true. Not sure how that makes Chinas pollution my fault.

That the EU had time to do something about dependency on Russian gas implies they had a viable alternative available.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
That the EU had time to do something about dependency on Russian gas implies they had a viable alternative available.
They were warned this would happen, I think in 2016? 17?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I'm from northern Wi. I like to sleep in cold. I set my thermostat to 68 at bedtime.
Hello; Too cold for me. I keep the thermostat at 68 during winter and can deal with it but do not like it.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
They were warned this would happen, I think in 2016? 17?
Hello; Yes, you are correct and i know who the person who must not be named is who warned them. Made a deal with the devil did they not?

EDIT- my remark on them not having a viable alternative seems off now that memory has been jogged. My mistake. Thanks for setting things straight.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
73 during the day, summer and winter. 68 at night.

A carrot of lower energy cost on one hand or a stick of mandates on the other hand.
If they mandate control of my owned appliances........ anyway I would buy a whole house generator and run it on propane. Screw them.

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Maybe some confusion over gas prices and gas prices - as in we call our gas petrol and our gas gas if that helps clarify it :wink:

Anyway petrol prices are falling in the UK with falling oil prices, but gas prices are still high and volatile.
Not everything in the US makes sense, but we don't use petrol to describe gasoline. And when we get pissed it means an entirely different thing than when you get pissed. Many other words too, even though we all speak "English" LOL.
Sponsored