2015 Mustang Ecoboost
went from frs vs ecoboost to eco vs gt

zzzzzzzzzzz

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
And here I was thinking 'FRS' meant 'Focus RS'.

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 GT Mustang, 2014 SRT Challenger
I thought FRS meant...

"Fleet Replacement Squadron" (AKA - RAG). I prefer to call the Eco Stang a "Turbo Stang." Eco sounds weak.

Sponsored

Surtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
i prefer to call it the eco beast :p

rgingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T/Auto/50-yr/FRT
"Fleet Replacement Squadron" (AKA - RAG). I prefer to call the Eco Stang a "Turbo Stang." Eco sounds weak.
Hooray!!! I'm not the only one to come out and say it......."Ecoboost" is a line of ford engine types (which saves gas) which are intended to replace larger displacement engines and improve the corporate average fuel economy stats. A Mustang is a Mustang period. Calling it an ecoboost is irritating to me. I fully agree we Mustang people (and even the other guys) should call it something like a "Turbo Stang" for sure. If you all agree, then lets avoid the weak "ecoboost" corporate engine marketing designation. ("Ecobeast is cool too!) ;)

Hyrax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Intrigue
BRZ vs v6/eco

Don't mean to revive an old thread but it's a similar topic

I am looking at a BRZ or a v6/eco stang MT. Can anyone steer me one way or the other? I don't intend to track the car. Only use it as a DD. I am not that big of a gearhead. I like to get moving, but usually hover around the speed limit even though 90% of the cars on the road are going 10+ over. What turns me off about the eco is the premium fuel. Does the performance package make much of a difference? Would I even want it if chances of me tracking are highly unlikely?

You may ask why BRZ is even an option? I fell in love with the brz because it's a MT RWD. It is looks awesome and got caught up in the romantics of the "driver's car". I'd jump on the miata if it had two more seats. It's also not as common as a stang.

Reading the thread, it sounds like the V6 may be for me. But low end torque of the eco sounds nice, but premium. I have a hard time stomaching 60 cents more per gallon on premium.

I am coming from a v6 oldsmobile intrigue. Got almost 175k miles on that baby. Time to upgrade.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Here you go, A great series of articles written by a guy who traded his FRS for an Ecoboost
http://www.speedhunters.com/tag/project-ecoboost/
He doesn't regret it for one second,

Go test drive all three,V6, Eco, BRZ/FRS- I did as well as a GT, and 370z, WRX, Audi A5 and a BMW 428, I went with the Eco and couldn't be happier.

I actually test drove a V6 Challenger and Camaro, and a couple of other coupes just to cover all the bases and was not impressed by either enough to even make the short list.

rgingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2.3T or 6 'stang is a better value for a RWD/MT. My friend who has an FRS also confirmed this opinion...... The FRS is great for drifting-action at lower speeds and throwing it into curves, etc. (very nimble). HOWEVER.... this is not how the poster (HYRAX) wishes to drive. The Mustang is a blast as a DD...lot's of smiles-per-hour regardless of engine choice. Take a few test drives and you can see for yourself. By the way, the comfort and handling is very good on the 'stang, even without the PP. The "Premium" trim level offers driving-modes, ugraded tires/wheels, leather, etc., etc........ a very noticeable step up from the FRS. Good luck shopping.

Sponsored

Hyrax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Intrigue
Thanks! I throw my intrigue into curves hard (relatively) already and don't really know what differences to expect. I feel like the handing of a brz would be like expensive wine. You are told it's good but my pallete would not be able to appreciate it.

I have a lot of respect for what the brz is. But yea, I need to test drive now.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Thanks! I throw my intrigue into curves hard (relatively) already and don't really know what differences to expect. I feel like the handing of a brz would be like expensive wine. You are told it's good but my pallete would not be able to appreciate it.

I have a lot of respect for what the brz is. But yea, I need to test drive now.
I enjoyed driving the BRZ (actually it was an FRS but the same thing.) it is fun when it gets really twisty, but that's it, As a DD it was frankly quite terrible, and I drove it for about half a day! It might have been better in the US but here in Germany you will be enjoying all of that fine handling getting out of the way of basically everything that's not an Econo Box. The biggest nail in the coffin for me was merging on to the autobahn and having a Ford S max run up my ass in the FRS. That's a turbo diesel minivan for those that don't know. I eventually got away from him but that was the problem, the word eventually should not have been in the same paragraph as a story about a sports car vs a minvan.

Some light suspension and tire mods have gotten my Eco to the point that I would feel comfortable comparing it to the FRS on a twisty road. and I still havent spent what I would have just buying the BRZ (getting close to the price of the FRS but I'm still about 1k short of it.)

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
just to correct rgringo up there, all models come with the "driving modes" just need to mess with the traction control button on the base models. Does the same stuff.

rgingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The FRS/BRZ RWD coupes were built for drifting.... they break-loose the rear end easily and throw-about really well...... Mustangs are a different breed altogether...they're designed and build with wider stance, wide grippy tires, better brakes, etc to handle high lateral G's (holding the road tightly..preventing drift..thus taking fast curves well planted. I greatly prefer the later. With suspension/tire mods, 'Stangs can drift just as well (if you want to). For a DD, smooth quiet and well controlled is better IMHO...especially on any length trip. By the way...WAY MORE HP!

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
just to correct rgringo up there, all models come with the "driving modes" just need to mess with the traction control button on the base models. Does the same stuff.
This is false info homie. Premium models change throttle response and for an auto it also changes shift points. Base models cannot do that using any combo of button pushing
Sponsored