Sponsored

FRPP TracKey for GT350???

BOSS 1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB BOSS 302
Boy, calling it a "joke" is a bit aggressive IMHO. I exclusively now drive with TrackKey (as does many of my Boss owner buddies). Engine breaking, lopey idle, and changing over 200 engine management parameters, etc etc sure does add to the excitement of driving a Boss. I think Ford was giving back more of a 1969/1970 experience to the owners - calling that a joke is, well, aggressive. I would say that it would have been awesome to give the Boss a better tune and higher redline with the red key, but expecting that from Ford is reaching. I'd say, thank you to Ford for introducing a low cost super cool feature for the Boss Owners.
+1. Did TK only BOSS after a year of ownership. Wow! It was like buying a brand new car. Changed the experience and added even more fun.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Boy, calling it a "joke" is a bit aggressive IMHO. I exclusively now drive with TrackKey (as does many of my Boss owner buddies). Engine breaking, lopey idle, and changing over 200 engine management parameters, etc etc sure does add to the excitement of driving a Boss. I think Ford was giving back more of a 1969/1970 experience to the owners - calling that a joke is, well, aggressive. I would say that it would have been awesome to give the Boss a better tune and higher redline with the red key, but expecting that from Ford is reaching. I'd say, thank you to Ford for introducing a low cost super cool feature for the Boss Owners.

I wouldn't call it a joke, but imagine if all of that was simply normal. No extra key or programming necessary. That's why I think it isn't necessary or appealing, it should be the standard for a car like the Boss/GT350. If you want a smooth commuter that is easy to drive, get something from the regular lineup.

S550guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
And it wasn't any faster around the race track or on any dyno I saw. Throttle response is just going non linear with faster tip in, I personally hate a non linear throttle as it is harder to modulate on the track.

Peter
Except the vehicle also showed actual engine braking when off-throttle..

I wasn't a fan of the different throttle response, but was a fan of the lopey idle and the fact that the vehicle engine-braked more aggressively when off-throttle.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree engine braking and lopey idle even with nothing else are awesome add ons. I wish I had that on my car. I had a 302 in the past with a super aggressive cam and it was awesome to sit at a light and listen to it.

Sponsored

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
A straight piped track keyed B302 is one of the better indulgences of life..:thumbsup:

BOSS 1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB BOSS 302
Someone (or all of you) help check but I recall reading something about the GT350 that allows the driver to switch exhaustive and engine settings via a switch/menu. When I read it I figure that Ford just integrated the TK software into the car. Recall that TK was marketed as a post purchase option on the BOSS 302 ostensibly to get around some states' (Calofornia) regulations. Whether clever marketing or an actual concession/solution I'm not clear. If that's how it really panned out and the menu is there then yipee

MadMoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stuff
Having a separate "track key" is a silly gimmick. Theres no reason flipping the switch to put it in track mode couldn't do the same thing.

Sponsored

Fenderaddict2

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmyles.com
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302
Boss Track Key was a joke, it added no performance benefits as testing later showed, but it did reduce your engine warranty. Sounds like a Win for Ford ;) Yes I had a 12 Boss.

Peter
I actually found the engine braking beneficial on track days myself.

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Ecoboost Manual Performance Pack
I loved my track key personally (former co 12 boss #1748 owner, currently 15gt pp owner, future gt350 owner lol)

I loved that the whole charcter of the car changed with that one key and even people that know nothing about cars could notice that there was a difference...

OT one time I got really drunk for new years two years ago and spent hours and hours looking for the track key in our rented cabin the next day cause I thought I lost it. It was in my coat pocket the whole time. Good times.

The only drawback I saw to the track key was that it was my second key and I carried both all the time so I gad no backup keys if I lost my keyring :-)

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ITLRUN

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
Someone explain this "engine braking" to me. How is it different from a typical down shift using the motor to help slow the car?

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
:popcorn:

(Josh and Paul, and Russell) :D

Last edited:

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Someone explain this "engine braking" to me. How is it different from a typical down shift using the motor to help slow the car?
It's not. You've just described engine braking.
Sponsored