Dinosoar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dinosoarmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT (Track Car Only); 2019 Jetta GLI
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, I've posted elsewhere on this matter under the Suspension Topic, for obvious reason, but so far, this has been an epic fail of Ford and its dealers (two of 'em).

On May 3rd, I noted a metallic rattle in the front left of the car. Thought the wheel lugs were loose. Did my investigative process, the took it to the dealer where I bought it. They identified the strut mount failed. However, they wanted to replaced the whole strut assembly. Since the strut assemblies are not available, and they were not willing to replaced the strut mount (even though they were in stock) saying those parts were not in stock. I even had one by then, and they refused to install my part even though in it's unopened Ford packaging. They even told me they don't get parts from other dealers...knowing that other dealers have strut mounts in stock.

Needless to say, I left and took to another dealer. They said they heard no noise. I pleaded to try again the next day, they did, and heard it. They replaced the front left control arms, but no success; doesn't matter what the other dealer found. Then they "said" they replaced the strut mount, and that finally worked, they said. Sure enough, I drove it home (2 miles) and did not hear it. I did, however, see how the mechanic used the full on impact wrench treatment on my alloy Shelby wheels from MRR...totally ground down all the paint on the lug recesses. Took a pic, sent it in as I got home. Ford dealer blew me off. A week later, I drove it. Of course, the noise is back and worst than ever...getting worst by the mile. The strut is totally failing now. I took a video of the noise...you don't even need to test drive it anymore, just light fist-bang the tire to hear the noise and you can even see the wheel moving a few millimeters!! I sent the video, and asked if safe (I think it's unsafe). Would you believe they totally blew me off again. That was two weeks ago.

I called Ford Corporate. They opened to cases on each dealer. Still, nothing from either dealer after a few days.

I cannot drive the car now, and I will fix the car. I am in the process of watching YouTube videos and getting tools to replace the strut mount. I will fill you all in later.

The big thing is what the second dealer said. She said there was the thinking that my upgraded tires might have caused the mount to fail. I upgraded a PP1 car from the OE tire to a GT350 front tire (295-35/19); no other mods. I think it'll be a coup and a half if dealers, or worse Ford, starts suggesting you not upgrade your tire size as it might overwhelm the OE components...even on a PP1 car. [The PP2 and Shelbys have the MagnaRide and different strut mounts].

Technically, I don't know what's wrong. I am working to get the video uploaded so I can get some thoughts. I have two dealers saying the strut mounts,so... Both took three days to come to that conclusion. I am worried the second dealer did change the mount and it's something worse.

I am beside myself that I cannot get a dealer to fix the car. My new 2018, built in April 2018 and the strut failed at 5200 miles! WTF?!
Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Jeez. That’s sucks, man. Sorry you’re having to fight tooth and nail for something that should be straightforward.

The bullshit about them not using parts from other dealers is laughable. The Ford places here in Houston do that all the time. “We don’t have it in stock but can get one this afternoon from across town” is what I’ve been told numerous times.

I’d be annoyed by that run around.

On the other hand I’d be livid about them messing the wheels up. Especially when coupled with them trying to slough off the warranty work with some lame attempt at blaming the tires.

Good for you on opening up cases with Corporate. Keep the pressure on them. And good luck on the repairs.

Looking forward to your vid to see/hear.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Find another dealer. I would be all over that damaged wheel shit though. 90% of dealers suck. You have to find a good one. If you are worried about that strut mount being a safety issue, you might want to get it swapped out at a local shop or do it yourself.

OP
OP
Dinosoar

Dinosoar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Find another dealer. I would be all over that damaged wheel shit though. 90% of dealers suck. You have to find a good one. If you are worried about that strut mount being a safety issue, you might want to get it swapped out at a local shop or do it yourself.
So, upon further investigation on my own, the damper of the strut assembly appears bad. I tore apart the strut components and the damper rod rattles so awfully....cannot be normal. Have no idea how safe it may be either as it had been progressively getting worse. As I search, I cannot easily find the same strut replacement part with 100% online. I'll check a dealer parts counter first. This is just a flat out failure on Ford. Okay, shit breaks, but the follow through to get it repaired is a nightmare. How can a guy with hand tools and a half day figure it out, but two dealerships, both with 3 days and 4 days respectively not get it specifically identified???

You're right on the dealers...I've always said Ford Dealers ruin the Ford experience. Sales is awful, but I'm up for a good "fight" there. Service, when you need it and I rarely ever did, is something you're at the mercy of. Well, no mercy here!

OP
OP
Dinosoar

Dinosoar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, another update. The damper rod operates irregularly and sometimes extends, some times does not. Also, is super easy to compress the rod. The damper fluid sounds very different sloshing around inside...like squirting and gushing sounds. I am assuming seals and/or the damper piston have cracked. The Ford parts guy did not think such a thing could be cause by a larger tire size. I will note, my MRR wheels in 19x10 and 295-35/19 PSS weight notably less than the PP1 wheel on there. This would ease damping forces by a lot. The best I can say is it is just one of those rare "has to happen to someone" things.

I ordered the replacement and will get it in a few days. This all affirms my anger with the two dealers who having days each with air tools and lifts could not find this otherwise obvious problem. At least the first dealer said "f@# it, we'll just replace all the parts"....but all were not available they said. So is not the case! A-holes! I still have that damaged wheel that I have to get painted.

All said and done, I'll fix my car and see if the second dealer will reimburse me my costs of wheel repair and one strut. Labor will be on me for this warranty repair!

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
I had a similar problem on a 92 Caprice rear shocks.. They rattled. And rattled badly.. Turned out the damper was loose in the tube and even though everything appeared correct, it wasn't. I did the same as you and finally replaced them on my own and fixed the problem.
Sponsored