John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I saw once a license plate sticker, smaller than an original, to fit over the bumper. That's exactly the solution I'd like. No drilling required, easily removed if needed, the plate wouldn't be hanging over or under the bumper, and no cops radar-zapping your car miles away with the metal plate reflecting coating. But no idea who can make them. If somebody knows, please post the info :).

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I've got the Sto-n-Show license plate bracket on mine. I like the way the two rails slide into a block and is either removed or installed by pulling a spring loaded pip pin to release the rails. It only takes a few seconds to either install or remove it.

I did a few changes to the mounting hardware. The front screw picks up a belly pan fastener and the rear has a large self tapping screw. The font screw is a very small diameter screw. I was afraid of high wind loads would possibly cause me to lose my front plate. I used a rivnut in the location where the self tapping screw would go. It's much more secure now with a bolt.
Some folks like Craig's bracket saying that the sto and sho can get snagged and ripped off. Also that in general these brackets put the front plate in a position that blocks air flow and can cause added heat up. What say you about all this? Thanks.

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Some folks like Craig's bracket saying that the sto and sho can get snagged and ripped off. Also that in general these brackets put the front plate in a position that blocks air flow and can cause added heat up. What say you about all this? Thanks.

I'm in California and live in an area that gets into the 90's regularly during the summer. I've not had any temperature issues and I'm also boosted. My car is slightly lowered and I've yet to drag it, but like anything, since I've said this, I'll probably drag it now.

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
I don't understand this at all. The sto-n-sho mounting platform screws underneath the bumper lip, and holds the plate itself mounts above it. The plate is never lower than the lip itself. The only damage could be tapping the curb, but that would happen to your bumper anyway if you got too close.

Bandi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

MattSin97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Never had a front license plate on my Toyota 86 that I had for 4 years and I only had 1 warning. When I bought my Mustang it had a front license and I just couldn't take looking at it. I took it off and plugs the wholes (bumperplugs.com). It looks dramatically better! If you can, leave off the license plat. I know it's the law and all, but most cops look the other way. I see so many cars without a front license driving around, I don't think many cops even care unless you are doing something else illegal or acting like a dumba**.

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I don't understand this at all. The sto-n-sho mounting platform screws underneath the bumper lip, and holds the plate itself mounts above it. The plate is never lower than the lip itself. The only damage could be tapping the curb, but that would happen to your bumper anyway if you got too close.
The sto-n-sho mounts to the center bolt that holds the front air spoiler in place. The bracket puts the plate directly in front of the grill just about that spoiler. There is another bracket "Craig's bracket" that is attached to the underside of the bumper such that the license plate is in front of the bumper pretty much in the place it would be if you had the dealer screw the plate into the bumper.

I am wondering if the sto-n-sho mounts could instead be mounted under the bumper like Craig's bracket as long as you're okay with drilling the two holes on the underside of the bumper (out of view).

Sponsored

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
The sto-n-sho mounts to the center bolt that holds the front air spoiler in place. The bracket puts the plate directly in front of the grill just about that spoiler. There is another bracket "Craig's bracket" that is attached to the underside of the bumper such that the license plate is in front of the bumper pretty much in the place it would be if you had the dealer screw the plate into the bumper.

I am wondering if the sto-n-sho mounts could instead be mounted under the bumper like Craig's bracket as long as you're okay with drilling the two holes on the underside of the bumper (out of view).

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
https://www.slybrackets.com/store/SLY-BRACKET-FOR-FORD-WITH-MESH-STYLE-LOWER-GRILLE-p296160070

This is the bracket I bought. I want this bracket after I install my RTR chin spoiler:

https://zicmoto.com/2018-2019-ford-mustang-rtr-removable-front-license-plate-bracket/

Haven't lowered the car yet but it should be fine as long as I don't run over anything. I want something that doesn't sit as high on the front bumper.
Two questions and issues:
  1. The plate will block the airflow as it is centered over the grill whereas the bumper mounted (drilled which I hate) does not do that
  2. The strength of the grill to be the only support

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I'm in California and live in an area that gets into the 90's regularly during the summer. I've not had any temperature issues and I'm also boosted. My car is slightly lowered and I've yet to drag it, but like anything, since I've said this, I'll probably drag it now.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
That's what happened to me. I'm on my third one now. It's esp difficult now that I'm on progressive springs.

TBH I pulled my front plate for a covid safe track event last July and forgot to put it back on. I've been driving around w/o my front plate since then. It's in the trunk.

:blush:

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
20210316_084217.jpg

Here's my sto-n-sho, as you can see, the bottom of the plate is just BARELY lower than the lip. At stock ride height, it's several inches off the ground. Zero chance of rubbing unless you drive into a curb directly.
Sponsored