Nac79

NAC15GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Ford Mustang GT with PP
Well, I made the switch from a 2000 Corvette convertible to a 2015 GT. First off I'll say I'm not a GM fanboy. I truly appreciate all performance cars even though I've owned three Corvettes as my spring - summer - fall / nice days fun car.

My first few observations are these; I'm certainly enjoying the lack of plastic fantastic squeaks and rattles so far. I'm enjoying a night and day difference in shifter smoothness. There's no real discernible difference in performance, and that's a good thing. You can only understand the difference in seats if you've owned or sat in a C5 Corvette. Mustang wins the exhaust note battle every time. The body style of the 6th gen Mustang is truly beautiful.

The only issue I've had so far is this; the Mustang clutch made me look like a fool! For those of you that can modulate that clutch with the helper spring, I bow down in awe. I could not for the life of me take off from a start or the 1 - 2 shift without it being jerky. Mine = removed, and it's so much better.

For now, mine will remain stock except for a few cosmetic mods. No need to void any warranties for me. The hood vents are first. The acres of Orange hood need something to accent / break up the color. I've got Roush vents in now, but also have some black OEM take offs I'm contemplating putting in, can't decide what looks best. I'm not so sure the Roush vents even vent. The holes seem covered up.

Lastly, after lurking and reading many threads I'll say this. Compared to the Corvette Forum, this place seems refreshingly civil :clap2::thumbsup:
I'm no GM fan boy either, but I do love Corvettes! I was lucky enough to have both my C5 Z and my 2015 GT w/PP. I've had my C5 since 2004.

1) Maybe if you have said C5 coupe/convertible exhaust pales in comparison to the GT, stock for stock, the ZO6 titanium exhaust is much better sound wise and weight wise. I've updated my GT exhaust to FRPP/Borla, but I didn't have to or need to replace the stock exhaust for the Z. I did add a aftermarket cam to it. They are close now, but comparing stock vs aftermarket exhaust doesn't make sense. Factory wise, the Z has the best exhaust except for the new Shelby's or maybe 13/14 GT500.

2) I have more squeaks and rattles and panel alignment issues on my new GT than I have in 14 year old car. I baby the Corvette, so that may help. But, kind of a put off with the dash rattle in the new mustang.

3) Performance - the Mustang still feels like a 2 door sedan and Corvette a go-cart. However, the GT is a wonderful car to drive and I enjoy the new technology they put into this car.

4) Seats - no comparison, the GT wins. I have the Recaros so that may help. I still love my Vette seats. Finally fixed that rocking seat issue.

I had my share of gremlins including the steering column lock and door module, but that's what happen with a old car. Things break, you fix it. Enjoy the Mustang, it is a great car.

But, I have a feeling that you will be back in Corvette soon enough.
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'm no GM fan boy either, but I do love Corvettes! I was lucky enough to have both my C5 Z and my 2015 GT w/PP. I've had my C5 since 2004.

1) Maybe if you have said C5 coupe/convertible exhaust pales in comparison to the GT, stock for stock, the ZO6 titanium exhaust is much better sound wise and weight wise. I've updated my GT exhaust to FRPP/Borla, but I didn't have to or need to replace the stock exhaust for the Z. I did add a aftermarket cam to it. They are close now, but comparing stock vs aftermarket exhaust doesn't make sense. Factory wise, the Z has the best exhaust except for the new Shelby's or maybe 13/14 GT500.

2) I have more squeaks and rattles and panel alignment issues on my new GT than I have in 14 year old car. I baby the Corvette, so that may help. But, kind of a put off with the dash rattle in the new mustang.

3) Performance - the Mustang still feels like a 2 door sedan and Corvette a go-cart. However, the GT is a wonderful car to drive and I enjoy the new technology they put into this car.

4) Seats - no comparison, the GT wins. I have the Recaros so that may help. I still love my Vette seats. Finally fixed that rocking seat issue.

I had my share of gremlins including the steering column lock and door module, but that's what happen with a old car. Things break, you fix it. Enjoy the Mustang, it is a great car.

I think the C5Z exhaust was a bit "tinny", at one point I had one of the custom OEM Ti setups with the bypass pipes, it sounded more exotic, though rattly/marbly. I think the stock GT exhaust sounds way better, though it might just be the whole package - it is a little quiet, but I'm going to fix that soon enough :)

My GT is solid so far, my C5Z was pretty decent, some dash/console noise that I was able to keep in check.

Love the extra RPM of the GT, and the 3:73s make it so throttle responsive, but the Z06 definitely felt faster (and before I sold mine, it was definitely a good bit faster :D)

Holy smokes, the seats in the C5Z are an atrocity - the high performance C5 variant gets some of the worst seats I've ever sat in (at least in a performance car). I'm in a GT convertible, so I've got non-Recaro, though I do have the Premier option so the material is very nice and the "performance" vs. comfort, is just about perfect.

I had stellar aftermarket seats in my C5Z (Caravaggio). I also had an S2000, and that cars seats and shifter are an order of magnitude better than the C5.

The '16 GT is also so significantly better in terms of interior, features, electronics. For the record, I do not like the C7, if I ever got back into a Vette, it would be a C6 GS or C6 Z06.

Since I have a family of three, a Corvette isn't even on the radar [for the near future], I had 4, even did an NCM delivery on one, but it's so much fun being able to cruise with all three of us.

:cheers:

OP
OP

T1up

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT / Competition Orange

I appreciate your opinion and viewpoint. We all get to think whatever we want to, go USA! :cheers:

As for being back in a C5, no, had two of them. C6, just no. C7, we'll see but the ass end is terrible.

Like I said, I'm not super loyal to one brand. There's plenty of great cars out there I'd love to experience. There might be an early 2000's Italian make that I would love to own and I promise it's exhaust note is spectacular.

The Mustang fits the bill for me at this point in my life and it's a blast to drive. :thumbsup:
Sponsored