Sponsored

Freeing up power

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
There are a ton of ways to increase power output from the engine. I'm trying to figure out good ways to better utilize what is being produced. For instance, an electric water pump seems to free up some power. Lightening up rotating assembly has changes as well. Economics aside, what are somethings folks could do to minimize parasitic losses?
Sponsored

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
Driveshaft would be a great start, a clutch kit with an aluminum flywheel will free up some resistance as well but will be a little much for the average driver. We have some great deals going on right now on some of these setups. Let me know what we can do for you if you're in the market.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Driveshaft would be a great start, a clutch kit with an aluminum flywheel will free up some resistance as well but will be a little much for the average driver. We have some great deals going on right now on some of these setups. Let me know what we can do for you if you're in the market.
Thanks Stephen. I'm focusing on the engine itself right now versus everything downstream of the engine. The coyote has been around for awhile so I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge they would be willing to share.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
There are a ton of ways to increase power output from the engine. I'm trying to figure out good ways to better utilize what is being produced. For instance, an electric water pump seems to free up some power. Lightening up rotating assembly has changes as well. Economics aside, what are somethings folks could do to minimize parasitic losses?
Exedy clutch and flywheel
And lighter wheels and tires can have a huge impact on performance.
The Mishimoto intake tube smooths out the airflow. And maximizes th stock manifold

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Underdrive pulleys used to be cheap HP back in the day. Accessories are probably efficient enough in modern performance cars there’s not much gain to be had. Plus there’s always some controversy about changing the dampener, depending on the type of UD dampener replacing it.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Underdrive pulleys used to be cheap HP back in the day. Accessories are probably efficient enough in modern performance cars there’s not much gain to be had. Plus there’s always some controversy about changing the dampener, depending on the type of UD dampener replacing it.
Agreed. These motors arent low reving 2 valves from long ago. The crank sensors are really sensitive so I'd recommend keeping all the drive gears and pulleys stock. Theres literally nothing to be gained changing them unless you run a blower and a tune obviously for them to reset stuff.

Dont reinvent the wheel man you have data of literally 1000s of s550s now with every conceivable power combination just do a search and find the parts u like and build your car that way...

I ran "lightweight" snake oil pulleys in the past its a great way to buy a battery every year or so...

5.G0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Exedy clutch and flywheel
And lighter wheels and tires can have a huge impact on performance.
The Mishimoto intake tube smooths out the airflow. And maximizes th stock manifold
Do they make a tube for the 2018s?

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Never anything fun for the 18s+ right now lol
Bro are u kidding y'all can run 9s NA. I don't wanna hear it ... Us gen 2 guys need all the help we can get lol

Reactions: A7X

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
An electric water pump can free up some power but only if the alternator is not powering it. A 100 amp alternator produces about 1400 watts, they may be about 60% efficient, estimate about 2400 watts in so that's about 3 HP to spin the alternator at full load. By temporarily disconnecting the alternator field it takes almost no power to spin but we also lose our power steering.

Aluminum and carbon driveshafts are pretty and save some weight but a steel driveshaft only takes about 1 HP to spin it up to about 6000 rpm, not much savings to be had there.

Overall there doesn't look to be much easy savings there. :(

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I can tell you my GForce Renegade half shafts weigh a bunch more than the stock half shafts. This has probably negatively affected me but at least I do not worry about breaking any shafts. So keep your stock shafts as long as you can.
Sponsored