Sponsored

Staying NA but looking to bump up the power

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Around Memorial Day I'm going to be ordering a set of SVE axle backs. I'm not sure if/how it'll give any additional horsepower to my GT. However, I'm open to maybe a cold air intake, tune, throttle body, etc...but from looking at Ford's combo for those parts...it only bumps things up like 20hp and costs around $750. It's not that I mind spending that much money, but I'd like more than 20hp out of it. Are there other mods I could do, staying in that price range that would yield more HP at the wheels? Are other tunes better?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
A flash tuner/tune combo is around $600 and will next about 30whp on 93 octane. That is the best bang for the buck you will get with NA bolt on power. Everything else is more money for less hp per dollar when staying NA.

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
from looking at Ford's combo for those parts...it only bumps things up like 20hp and costs around $750. It's not that I mind spending that much money, but I'd like more than 20hp out of it.
Yes, 20 more peak horsepower but you're gaining over 40 horsepower from 5,000-5,500rpm.

22%20-%20Dyno%20Stock%202016%20Mustang%20GT%20vs%20Power%20Pack%202-X2.jpg

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A flash tuner/tune combo is around $600 and will next about 30whp on 93 octane. That is the best bang for the buck you will get with NA bolt on power. Everything else is more money for less hp per dollar when staying NA.

Thats good to know. What tuner/tune is the go-to for the highest stand alone power?

Thanks

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
If you have access to E85 I highly recommend a Flex Fuel Tune. I went with Lund for my Flex Fuel Tune and also the NGauge. I can run any combo of 93 and E85. E85 really adds power that’s not a placebo, it’s dyno proven. I would recommend keeping the stock throttle body since aftermarket units on stock intake manifolds don’t do anything but lighten your wallet.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have access to E85 I highly recommend a Flex Fuel Tune. I went with Lund for my Flex Fuel Tune and also the NGauge. I can run any combo of 93 and E85. E85 really adds power that’s not a placebo, it’s dyno proven. I would recommend keeping the stock throttle body since aftermarket units on stock intake manifolds don’t do anything but lighten your wallet.
I do have access to E85 but only at a few stations locally. If I can it on a trip I might only have access to 91 or 93. Is there something I can carry in the glove compartment that (maybe with my phone) or by itself I can retune on the spot for 87 or 91 in a pinch or does it not work that way and once you hack you never go back?

EDIT: Looks like tuning voids the warranty which is what I'm trying to avoid in the first place and why I'm waiting to do any significant increases until the warranty is totally dead.

Thanks

Last edited:

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
I bought my GT new last November and only have 2,600 miles on it. It’s been tuned since January. I’m gonna hit the 3 years on bumper to bumper and 5 years on drivetrain before I hit the mileage. My dealership is mod friendly and I’ve been buying all my new ford from them since 2003. Honesty and a good attitude go a long ways when getting warranty work done. Also, they can’t “void” your warranty.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealership is mod friendly and I’ve been buying all my new ford from them since 2003. Honesty and a good attitude go a long ways when getting warranty work done. Also, they can’t “void” your warranty.
How do you find out if your dealership is mod friendly?

In regard to voiding...maybe not, but they can refuse to cover the cost of fixing something and blame it on the mod. That's my biggest concern and why I'm waiting until all warranties are dead before I add significant power.

Thanks

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited

In regard to voiding...maybe not, but they can refuse to cover the cost of fixing something and blame it on the mod. That's my biggest concern and why I'm waiting until all warranties are dead before I add significant power.

Thanks
Become friends with the service manager. Birthday/Christmas gifts work wonders.

Will pay off big in the long run.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
I worked for the dealership for a year After I retired from the Air Force. I already had a long standing relationship with the GM and Service manager. The service manager has been with the dealership for almost 20 years and will bend over backwards to help people out as long as they aren’t trying to cover something up or get an attitude. Going with a reputable tuner is extremely important. They have hundreds of hours of research and development with tuning. Ford Corporate won’t tell you this but Technicians have told me that good aftermarket tunes are actually better for the efficiency of the coyote and a lot of times those tuned motors run a lot cleaner and have less issues. The big thing I keep hearing from the service dept is DO NOT remove the tune if something catastrophic happens. Zero key cycles with a blown motor will equal problems with warranty.

Thanks

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Become friends with the service manager. Birthday/Christmas gifts work wonders.

Will pay off big in the long run.
Hmm...that would be easy to just drop off a gift at Christmas. But what do you give? Gift basket? Buy the whole shop lunch? Gift card just for the service rep?

Thanks!

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Hmm...that would be easy to just drop off a gift at Christmas. But what do you give? Gift basket? Buy the whole shop lunch? Gift card just for the service rep?

Thanks!
Just walk in there naked and ask if any of them are gay.

Man I don’t think I’ve ever met someone who gives car dealership people gifts. I don’t think that really happens, does it? Kind of reminds me of when I used to go down to Mexico because everything was cheap. Then all the “rich” gringos showed up tipping at an exuberant rate to make the Mexicans like them. Next thing you know all the prices went up because Americans had so much extra money to spend. Now I gues service advisors deserve a gift for being tolerable.
Sponsored