sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Disqualified?! :curse::angry:
Hello; Had to look the disqualification up as it is news to me. I know of the "plank rules". Have known of them for many years. So have the teams. Keeps the teams from setting the ride height too low and thus gain an advantage. Same rules for each car best as I know.
Now as to how sensible such a rule might be is worth a discussion. Freel free to point out the good and bad. One thing is understood. That being getting the ride height lower helps with pace. Dumb rule or no if it gives the violating teams an advantage a disqualification follows.
Such happens a lot in NASCAR after a race. The rules get stretched a lot by the teams.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Fail a tech regulation and that is the result. Was a nice race weekend.
But can you even imagine the uproar if Lewis had won instead of being second before the DQ?

Gave Perez some breathing room for 2nd in driver's. If Lewis had kept the 2nd place, Perez would very likely have been passed by season end.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
But can you even imagine the uproar if Lewis had won instead of being second before the DQ?

Gave Perez some breathing room for 2nd in driver's. If Lewis had kept the 2nd place, Perez would very likely have been passed by season end.
Yeah, would have been worse had he won. The track was bumpy though and it was a sprint weekend so there’s more use of the car than normal race weekends.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yeah, would have been worse had he won. The track was bumpy though and it was a sprint weekend so there’s more use of the car than normal race weekends.
It makes no sense to have a maximum wear for multiple "races" (sprint, race). Teams should be allowed or even required to install new planks after any points paying session.

As it stands, it would seem a car that was DQed for plank in a sprint, would be automatically DQed for the Grand Prix. So, should we Let them change it only after a sprint DQ? Then what happens if some mechanical issue or off-track excursion in a sprint ALMOST removes enough for a DQ? If its a judgement call, why wouldn't teams run the car low enough in a sprint to barely be legal at the end (like they do now for a no-sprint weekend)?

Last edited:

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
It makes no sense to have a maximum wear for multiple "races" (sprint, race). Teams should be allowed or even required to install new planks after any points paying session.

As it stands, it would seem a car that was DQed for plank in a sprint, would be automatically DQed for the Grand Prix. So, should we Let them change it only after a sprint DQ? Then what happens if some mechanical issue or off-track excursion in a sprint ALMOST removes enough for a DQ? If its a judgement call, why wouldn't teams run the car low enough in a sprint to barely be legal at the end (like they do now for a no-sprint weekend)?
Yeah not sure what the rules are. Would not make sense to not be able to replace the floor during a Sprint weekend since it’s technically a wear part as well.

Sprint qualifying should be Friday and Race qualifying should be Saturday. Also throw in another practice session on Saturday.

So:
Friday
Practice 1
Sprint qualifying

Saturday
Practice 2
Race qualifying
Sprint race

Sunday
Race

This way, any wear items can be replaced on Saturday after the Sprint race.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Alonso, Spanish minister of defense.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Had a worthless thought today. Watch a NASCAR race and they mostly wreck at the end of the races. Watch a F1 race and they mostly wreck on the first lap often in the first corner. Within this very limited context seems the NASCAR drivers are the smarter.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Hello; Had a worthless thought today. Watch a NASCAR race and they mostly wreck at the end of the races. Watch a F1 race and they mostly wreck on the first lap often in the first corner. Within this very limited context seems the NASCAR drivers are the smarter.
Very interesting take. I'd really like to see how NASCAR does with a standing start. F1 is so difficult to pass I think they all try to get that position at the start whereas NASCAR you have the next 3-5 hours to gain the spots lol. I wonder if F1 did side by side rolling start if they would have as many accidents and if NASCAR did standing start how they would fare. I'm sure circle tracks wouldn't be as big of an issue as a road course.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Very interesting take. I'd really like to see how NASCAR does with a standing start. F1 is so difficult to pass I think they all try to get that position at the start whereas NASCAR you have the next 3-5 hours to gain the spots lol. I wonder if F1 did side by side rolling start if they would have as many accidents and if NASCAR did standing start how they would fare. I'm sure circle tracks wouldn't be as big of an issue as a road course.
Hello; Very good points all. You nailed the need to get track position early in F1 before the follow the leader stuff starts. There can be more lead changes in one lap of a NASCAR race than in an entire F1 race.
NASCAR cars are better able to take punishment also.