Formula 1 talk.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I had a feeling the Lewis fans would not disappoint. Just took a little while. Thing about the crash from my point of view is when you are in the process of passing a car you do not have to see it to know it is still there. You come up on it from behind and try to get ahead. It this case a quick car also going where you want to be. The thing was that Alonzo was a as far right on the track as he could be, leaving all the track to the left for the pass to happen.
But hey, It's Lewis right.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Seems max is more talented than I had figured. Seems Ferrari are blaming him for an early pit stop. If he indeed can throw a plastic visor strip tearoff into a following cars intake, that takes skill.
Kidding aside, trash on a track is an issue. During bicycle races now days the riders have to carry their trash along until reaching a designated area. Maybe they should take the cupholders out of the F1 cars and put trash containers in their place.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Hello; Seems max is more talented than I had figured. Seems Ferrari are blaming him for an early pit stop. If he indeed can throw a plastic visor strip tearoff into a following cars intake, that takes skill.
Kidding aside, trash on a track is an issue. During bicycle races now days the riders have to carry their trash along until reaching a designated area. Maybe they should take the cupholders out of the F1 cars and put trash containers in their place.
The FIA wanted to keep the tear offs in the car but cited that it would be a hazard to the driver. I guess they should put windshield wipers on the helmet visors instead.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hello; I had a feeling the Lewis fans would not disappoint. Just took a little while. Thing about the crash from my point of view is when you are in the process of passing a car you do not have to see it to know it is still there. You come up on it from behind and try to get ahead. It this case a quick car also going where you want to be. The thing was that Alonzo was a as far right on the track as he could be, leaving all the track to the left for the pass to happen.
Not a Lewis fan, an objective racing fan. Racing is about driving at the limit and sometimes exceeding it. Lewis exceeded his limit, took responsibility for it and paid the price in that he took himself out of the race. Alonzo was understandably upset and said what he felt but was able to continue racing. That's sports.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If you are saying Lewis knew he was there, what do you think Lewis' motivation for hitting him was?

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
If you are saying Lewis knew he was there, what do you think Lewis' motivation for hitting him was?
Hello; No motivation to hit the other car. Not what I am saying. That Lewis tried a move doomed to fail and caused a wreck. Poor judgment or too desperate to lead a race I do not know his mind. Thing is he made a move he should have known was likely not to be clean enough to work. Maybe he expected the other driver to leave the track. Point being whatever his mind set was we cannot know, but the results are clear. He tried a too risky move and caused a wreck. If I am wrong that such a thing has gotten other drivers penalties, then I will stand corrected.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Not sure why you start out your reply bashing fans of a driver? Seems counter productive. Everyone posting here is a fan of the sport and most likely a team or driver or both.

As to your last assertion of Alonzo he also had the option not to try for the gap knowing it is a corner that could easily cause a collision if Lewis turned too tight or did not see him. At this level they all know this. Alonzo has been quoted in the past as saying the stewards seem to give a pass to first lap aggressiveness so he might as well be as aggressive as possible on that first lap. Guess he was correct but also paid the price.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Not sure why you start out your reply bashing fans of a driver? Seems counter productive. Everyone posting here is a fan of the sport and most likely a team or driver or both.

As to your last assertion of Alonzo he also had the option not to try for the gap knowing it is a corner that could easily cause a collision if Lewis turned too tight or did not see him. At this level they all know this. Alonzo has been quoted in the past as saying the stewards seem to give a pass to first lap aggressiveness so he might as well be as aggressive as possible on that first lap. Guess he was correct but also paid the price.
Hello; Interesting.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Todays race was sort of like watching a mild version of keystone cops. The top three teams were half wrong and half right. Ferrari only screwed over one driver. MB managed to do a Ferrari sort of call near the end with one driver on a good tire choice leaving the whiner to cuss out the team decision makers as he dropped down places.
There are other keystone moments to be sure. Vettel gets a penalty for blue flags. The top may be the car which stopped on track, then went to the pits, then went back on track only to almost immediately stop on track again. Did i mention an unsafe release or calling a car in too late for the mechanics to get ready. Or the wheel tool run over.

Last thing maybe from the last race as well as this one. I did not follow the "floor" thing well. My take is a team or two (maybe MB) complained about a "flexible" floor on the RB cars. I may be wrong but think RB had to change that and it turned out their car is even quicker. Did i get this wrong?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
‘Lewis Hamilton has himself to blame for a rookie mistake at the restart’ (msn.com)
Hello; The comment near the end of the link is a winner. You can read the whole thing to get context but basically Lewis does not recall what he said on the team radio. He forgot again. Not as bad as forgetting about Alonzo in the previous race as he did finish the race.

Side note- Those orange smoke flares. Seems the race bosses are trying to stop the use of them but may have ex-Ferrari team managers on the job. I first saw those smoke flares outside of the military use during the Tour de France some years ago. All that smoke must be unpleasant.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Side note- Those orange smoke flares. Seems the race bosses are trying to stop the use of them
The race would have been red flagged if someone threw one onto the track. That happened in one of the sessions. Bet Renault wish they thought of that back in the day. Lots cheaper than having a teammate crash to ensure an Alonso win.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ferrari can't get worse. Calls a driver in when not ready. Then having a mechanic in the path when releasing a car from the pits making him slow and incur an unsafe release penalty. And I was expecting either a penalty or broken part from Leclerc spinning the wheels while being dropped off the jacks. I suspect most likely from the team signaling him to go before the car dropped.

Then Lewis complaining about a call to pit George that resulted in more points for the team (a 2nd and 4th rather than 3rd and 4th) but less for Lewis. Hey Lewis, George is the team points leader by a good margin. So, win/win for both team and driver championships.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Ferrari can't get worse. Calls a driver in when not ready. Then having a mechanic in the path when releasing a car from the pits making him slow and incur an unsafe release penalty. And I was suspecting either a penalty or broken part from Leclerc spinning the wheels while being dropped off the jacks. I suspect most likely from the team signaling him to go before the car dropped.

Then Lewis complaining about a call to pit George that resulted in more points for the team (a 2nd and 4th rather than 3rd and 4th) but less for Lewis.
Hello; I had not thought of the overall points for MB. What happened is indeed better for the team. Guess Lewis did not see it that way.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Hello; I had not thought of the overall points for MB. What happened is indeed better for the team. Guess Lewis did not see it that way.
Not just better for team but better for the driver's championship. George is the points leader in the team by a good margin.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ferrari can't get worse. Calls a driver in when not ready. Then having a mechanic in the path when releasing a car from the pits making him slow and incur an unsafe release penalty. And I was expecting either a penalty or broken part from Leclerc spinning the wheels while being dropped off the jacks. I suspect most likely from the team signaling him to go before the car dropped.

Then Lewis complaining about a call to pit George that resulted in more points for the team (a 2nd and 4th rather than 3rd and 4th) but less for Lewis. Hey Lewis, George is the team points leader by a good margin. So, win/win for both team and driver championships.
Correction/clarification: It was another team mechanic that Sainz slowed to avoid. So that penalty was not entirely Ferrari's fault or maybe none their fault.
Sponsored