Formula 1 talk.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
technically 'food' grain doesn't get processed into ethanol, rather the land use that could otherwise go to food, went to ethanol crops.
Hello; This does not sound correct to me. I am pretty sure it is corn used to make much of the ethanol. That some of the corn might have been used in animal feed and not directly to human consumption is a possible case.
Back maybe fifteen years or more ago there was a long report in one of the good scientific journals about this. Pretty sure a food grain problem was mentioned. Something like since so much corn grain was diverted to ethanol production there was a demand for other grains. There was not enough of the other grains to make up the difference so prices spiked for a time. I am not sure if a balance is now restored.
The way I recall it, the materials/machinery to make corn ethanol was already handy and easy to get since it is the same process as making corn liquor. The stuff was already well understood, available and was put into use to make alcohol.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I am pretty sure it is corn used to make much of the ethanol.
In the USA, yes we abuse corn because DC buys political favors from corn-belt farmers. But the corn they use is not the corn used for human consumption (tortilla chips, canned, meal). I don't know if cattle feed corn == ethanol corn but it might.

USA continues to export vast quantities of grain and legumes but I don't have UN figures on to what extent (still?) south american or other poor countries have had their dietary inputs affected.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
But the corn they use is not the corn used for human consumption (tortilla chips, canned, meal). I don't know if cattle feed corn == ethanol corn but it might.
Hello; I know the sort of corn you mention. There is a corn field near my home where what I know of as field corn is grown. It is allowed to stand well after the corn is mature and the stalks and ears are dried out. It was cut just about three weeks ago. This corn is hard and dry. Not sure just what they do with that particular field of corn.
If you mean it is not the ears of corn we buy to eat at the supermarket, that is correct. I suspect some of this corn could be ground into meal to be used as food, but that corn may go to the distilleries for all I know.
Side note - The local government built a paved walking trail on the other side of the highway from my home. I have been walking on the new black top. Around here the soil is red clay. I saw a clear set of bear prints on that blacktop along with a lot of der and other animal prints. Seems the animals were eating that corn and left muddy prints.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
British Touring Cars penalizes 'winners' by adding weight to cars and also inverting the field partially. Maybe there should be 'wildcard' races where say every 3 races, all the drivers put their names in a hat and luck of the draw which car they drive for the weekend.

Sponsored

Tin O' Spam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not a good start for Nikita Mazepin, ahead of his Haas debut next year.....

From Motorsport.com
Haas has issued a statement condemning the “abhorrent” behaviour of 2021 Formula 1 driver Nikita Mazepin in a video posted on Instagram, and will deal with the matter internally.

On Tuesday night, a short video was posted to Mazepin’s Instagram account in which he reaches from the passenger seat of a car and inappropriately touches a woman’s chest on the back seat.

The woman is shown moving her hand in reaction to being touched, before raising a middle finger with the same hand that then covers the camera.

The video was shortly deleted, but not before it had been captured and has since been shared widely on social media.

In a statement issued by the Haas team on Wednesday, it condemned his actions and confirmed it would be taking action internally.

“Haas F1 Team does not condone the behaviour of Nikita Mazepin in the video recently posted on his social media,” the statement reads.

“Additionally, the very fact the video was posted on social media is also abhorrent to Haas F1 Team.

“The matter is being dealt with internally and no further comment shall be made at this time.”

Mazepin followed the Haas statement by posting a message on Twitter apologising for his actions.

“I would like to apologise for my recent actions both in terms of my own inappropriate heavier and the fact that it was posted onto social media,” Mazepin said,.

“I am sorry for the offence I have rightly caused and to the embarrassment I Have brought to Haas F1 Team.

“I have to hold myself to a higher standard as a Formula 1 driver and I acknowledge I have let myself and many people down. I promise I will learn from this.”

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
“I am sorry for the offence I have rightly caused and to the embarrassment I Have brought to Haas F1 Team.

“I have to hold myself to a higher standard as a Formula 1 driver and I acknowledge I have let myself and many people down. I promise I will learn from this.”
Translation.......I’m a 21 year old filthy rich kid who feels entitled to do whatever I want. Damn that camera.

Hope the slap on the wrists really hurts.

Tin O' Spam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Translation.......I’m a 21 year old filthy rich kid who feels entitled to do whatever I want. Damn that camera.

Hope the slap on the wrists really hurts.

Now I guess we'll find out once and for all if the "We race as one" slogans and all of the rainbow stickers plastered on the cars were actually for anything, or were just empty words.

(put me down for a bet on empty words)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
or were just empty words.
seems there was mention recently of a un-signed driver named ... what was his name again? :)

geezus, he filmed it himself and self-published? There's gotta be a morality clause in his contract or a simple "don't bring shame to F1 or FIA". His ass should be fired, forthwith!

Last edited:

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I do anything to just clean any of the cars there, worst car on the grid id still love to be apart of it... That said if i was Perez id pass on going to HAAS, Alfa or Williams. Better driver needs a better car or you are just fighting for 12th back in those 6 cars, with a points race when lucky. Look at Kimi, it wasnt that long ago he was fighting for podiums now he has to feel happy not qualifying on the last row

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I do anything to just clean any of the cars there, worst car on the grid id still love to be apart of it... That said if i was Perez id pass on going to HAAS, Alfa or Williams. Better driver needs a better car or you are just fighting for 12th back in those 6 cars, with a points race when lucky. Look at Kimi, it wasnt that long ago he was fighting for podiums now he has to feel happy not qualifying on the last row
Checo has indicated that he has a ride for 2022. So does he take a year off and relax or get a seat with third tier team. Personally I’m still hoping that Red Bull comes through (although they don’t deserve him). If not I’d still like to see him on the grid regardless of the team.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase