Sponsored

Formal GT500 Intro - Any idea when??

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Considering that the GT500 has already been officially announced and we don't even have pricing on that yet, I doubt there's even talk of pricing within GM for the ME Vette yet.
I retired from GM almost exactly a year ago. I already had a good feel for the pricing of the next gen Corvette before I left. A car doesn't get anywhere close to production approval without having a solid business case. That business case is rooted in [What can we sell it for] minus [what will it cost to produce] times [how many can we realistically expect to sell]. If pricing wasn't already at least penciled in, you'd be seeing no camouflaged testers running around. Same goes for GT500. I live about 5 miles from Ford WHQ and have seen the camo GT500 more times than I can count on the Southfield Freeway and side roads near Michigan Ave and near Rotunda.

As far as timing for GT500, I am expecting LA Auto Show in November. Ford has said the car "will be available in 2019". They didn't say WHEN in 2019. I am assuming second half of 2019 as a 2020 MY. LA would set them up to start taking orders into December / January with deliveries happening around May / June.
Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
I doubt it. I thought this at first as well, but an insider has told me that he at least knows the mid-engine car IS a corvette. Cadillac might have their own iteration of it (since they announced that they plan on introducing a new high performance coupe), but there will be a ME Vette.
The ME car is going to be a Corvette, an "inside-friend" told me that as well (however he couldn't confirm if its going to keep the same name, he refused to answer and changed the subject).

Really? I always thought it was a variant of the Ford Modular... that's crazy!

If I'm not mistaken the family name is "AJ-V8". The Lincoln LS used the same engine and that's the reason why the "engine parts" from the LS are that expensive.

As far as timing for GT500, I am expecting LA Auto Show in November. Ford has said the car "will be available in 2019". They didn't say WHEN in 2019. I am assuming second half of 2019 as a 2020 MY. LA would set them up to start taking orders into December / January with deliveries happening around May / June.
Sounds about right, LV or LA (but it IS going to be November).

Shabooty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Not entirely too sure how accurate this is but my dealer here in Atlanta has “confirmed” he has two normal gt500 allocations and he confirmed an R model which he also said he’s getting two of. $7,500 ADM for the base model.

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
Not entirely too sure how accurate this is but my dealer here in Atlanta has “confirmed” he has two normal gt500 allocations and he confirmed an R model which he also said he’s getting two of. $7,500 ADM for the base model.
Dang. That's a bummer.

I've been looking high and low for an abnormal GT500 allocation.

:shrug::headbonk::headbonk::doh:

Sponsored

Shabooty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Dang. That's a bummer.

I've been looking high and low for an abnormal GT500 allocation.

:shrug::headbonk::headbonk::doh:
Cool. I suppose I should've said base. B/c the mention of an R model didn't affirm what I was saying.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Ford has yet to announce how the GT500 program will work. Your dealer is winging it.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I know it does appear that if there are two versions, one will be designated a GT500 R, but I really hope Ford reconsiders calling it a KR.

I say this from a historical perspective. There's never been a GT500 R, but that have been GT500 KRs in the past.

Of course, KR stands for King of the Road......and R, at least in terms of the GT350 stands for Racing. I guess if the more "hardcore" version is tuned for the circuit then "R" might make sense, but it'll still take me time to get my head around that name.

Perhaps it should be GT500 KRaT........King of the Road & Track :ford:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
only 7 more months until reveal. 7 months of sun and fun and then BAM, it'll be seen. then only another 6 months to a year to get one ;)

Sponsored

tws123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium
is this nalley ford?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
This is what this thread has come to... GIVE US SOMETHING, FORD!

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Guys,

Besides ADM's, what other reasons should I wait for the second MY. It's said there are bugs to be worked out after the first year. Wish I waited for 2017 GT350 myself because of coolers. But, if the 500 is basically a SC Voodoo with great handling, there should be no real issues in the first year. Waiting for the (literal) smoke to clear. Your thoughts.
:cheers:
Sponsored