Formal GT500 Intro - Any idea when??

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I hope you're right. If so, and Ford has no direct competitor, I will probably have to buy my first Chevrolet.
me too...
don't get me wrong, I'm a bit scared but you can't argue, the performance should be outstanding for the $.
I've heard 69k for the base mid engine vette.
Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
:lol: What if the GT500 weight was about 4200 pounds,but it kills the zl1,1le on the track,and very close to the zr1, would mustangers be upset?
Maybe… I mean, I’m pretty sure the base GT500 will kill the ZL1 and the GT500R will do the same against the ZL1 1LE…. But I don’t think it will be a big difference between both (and definitely it won’t be close to the ZR1, but maybe to the Z06)
I think Ford will try to keep it under at least 4000 lbs. I think it will basically be like a higher HP GT350R.
That would be great, but I don’t see it happening. The few people we have on this forum that claim that know something about the car, they say that the GT500 will be a pig (4100lb car)
Not to change the subject too much, but does anyone think Ford will ever go back to put a V8 back into a Ford GT and produce more than the current GT ?
As TwinTurbo said, the only reason the GT came back was in a form of Braging Rights. Ford DON’T want to have a “regular” Supercar for sale, the only reason they sell the GT to the public is because it was one of the requirements and they could get some money back as well.
The main purpose of the GT was to make a statement. They wanted to return to LeMans and kill Ferrari the same way they did it 50 years ago, that’s why the car was designed around that objective and it was built around the Ecoboost 3.5L HO V6 (They made a car for the Engine, not an Engine for the Car). Ford could have done an “Ecoboost 5.0L HO” GT if the purpose was to compete in the supercar segment, but that was not their point.
i hear what you are saying,i dont think its mandatory if FORD did another FORD GT,that it has to be ran at Le mans.they can just sell it to the public.:ford:
Well, It’s not mandatory but do you REALLY think that Ford would care being competitive in the Supercar segment at the same time that they are planning to stop offering the Fiesta and Fusion in the US and without plans of brining the new-gen Taurus to the US?
Maybe the “New Gen Ford GT” will be offered as an Electric Crossover hahahahaha :lol:
What Ford really needs to build after the GT is done is a 2 door 2 seat Cobra that competes with the Corvette. Put a few options of the 5.2l in that, and sell it like hot cakes.
Or maybe the return of the 2 Seater Thunderbird convertible… but as a 2 seater convertible crossover :lol: .
Hell, it could even be a topless 2 seater/2 door Bronco with the Thunderbird logos in the front, back and steering wheel.

Just think about it... a complete Success!
Crossover.jpg

SVTSNAKE351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
Maybe… I mean, I’m pretty sure the base GT500 will kill the ZL1 and the GT500R will do the same against the ZL1 1LE…. But I don’t think it will be a big difference between both (and definitely it won’t be close to the ZR1, but maybe to the Z06)

That would be great, but I don’t see it happening. The few people we have on this forum that claim that know something about the car, they say that the GT500 will be a pig (4100lb car)

As TwinTurbo said, the only reason the GT came back was in a form of Braging Rights. Ford DON’T want to have a “regular” Supercar for sale, the only reason they sell the GT to the public is because it was one of the requirements and they could get some money back as well.
The main purpose of the GT was to make a statement. They wanted to return to LeMans and kill Ferrari the same way they did it 50 years ago, that’s why the car was designed around that objective and it was built around the Ecoboost 3.5L HO V6 (They made a car for the Engine, not an Engine for the Car). Ford could have done an “Ecoboost 5.0L HO” GT if the purpose was to compete in the supercar segment, but that was not their point.

Well, It’s not mandatory but do you REALLY think that Ford would care being competitive in the Supercar segment at the same time that they are planning to stop offering the Fiesta and Fusion in the US and without plans of brining the new-gen Taurus to the US?
Maybe the “New Gen Ford GT” will be offered as an Electric Crossover hahahahaha :lol:

Or maybe the return of the 2 Seater Thunderbird convertible… but as a 2 seater convertible crossover :lol: .
Hell, it could even be a topless 2 seater/2 door Bronco with the Thunderbird logos in the front, back and steering wheel.

Just think about it... a complete Success!
If Ford wanted to do a 1200hp 5.8, and put it in another Ford GT, they would still sell them all. That's just how it is.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think this could be viable... another factor in GT LM is power to weight ratio. The race-spec Ford GT only makes about 550hp. We know that, with some pretty minor mods, the 3rd gen coyote can hit those numbers. and with the coyote overall being lighter than a TTV6, it wouldn't need as much power to be competitive. The biggest issue is packaging; because the coyote is so much physically bigger than the V6, they wouldn't have been able to make the flying buttresses work with the current size of the car. They would either have to make the car larger (more weight) or remove the flying buttresses (significantly less aero)

It definitely would be. The ONLY reason Ford made the most recent GT was for Le Mans... it's good advertisement for not only the Ford brand, but the Ecoboost name. Pretty sure they built the 05-06 GT with intentions of going to Le Mans as well, but the powerplant was the issue
The race spec GT makes less than 500 hp. Directly from a FP calibrator.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I am thinking Ford should offer the following options:

1 Rear seat delete

2. Air conditioner delete

3. Heater delete. Don't need a heater when the GT500 is not driven when temps below 40 degrees because tires need to be at plus 40 degrees.
IIRC, street legal cars have to have a heater by law. Something about defrost and safety.

I think this could be viable... another factor in GT LM is power to weight ratio. The race-spec Ford GT only makes about 550hp. We know that, with some pretty minor mods, the 3rd gen coyote can hit those numbers. and with the coyote overall being lighter than a TTV6, it wouldn't need as much power to be competitive. The biggest issue is packaging; because the coyote is so much physically bigger than the V6, they wouldn't have been able to make the flying buttresses work with the current size of the car. They would either have to make the car larger (more weight) or remove the flying buttresses (significantly less aero)

It definitely would be. The ONLY reason Ford made the most recent GT was for Le Mans... it's good advertisement for not only the Ford brand, but the Ecoboost name. Pretty sure they built the 05-06 GT with intentions of going to Le Mans as well, but the powerplant was the issue
The 05/06 car was not designed to be a race car. It was built as a mark for the company turning 100 years old.

The private teams that used that car ran it in GT3 with Roush built N/A V8.

It was different than the old GT40 and the current cars which were/are both Homologation cars for a racing series.

Word on the street was the car was making only 375hp in Mexico last year after all the BoP hits on it.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The GT500 may come in different version...
GT500
GT500R
GT500KR

Carbon fiber & then moAr carbon fiber. Not hard to understand where Ford Performance Racing is going with this, just have to look at Ford Performance Racing. Somewhat obvious how they are going to stack this. (BMW's M-Division does the same thing.)

I think some people are selling themselves short. Honestly, wtf do you people think is going to happen when you give a GT350 +200lb-ft of torque and a wider stance..??

Now thinking... what is the highest rev point, any Camaro hits..? :shrug:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Not hard to understand where Ford Performance Racing is going with this, just have to look at Ford Performance Racing. Somewhat obvious how they are going to stack this.
Can you be more specific as to what you are implying that "Ford Performance Racing" is doing and how it relates to production vehicles (in this case, the upcoming GT500)?

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
I wanna hear more about the Mustang history behind the name "GT500R".

And all about this apparently new organization within Ford called "Ford Performance Racing".

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Depends what trim level you are talking about. The base motor (around 500hp) C8 will be in the ballpark of the GT500 if not cheaper. The top trim TT V8 will be more than the GT500, which is to be expected.
Honestly, I doubt that. Pretty sure its been leaked that its a carbon-fiber monoqoque chassis, and pairing that with a brand new DOHC V8 gives it a very small chance of being under $70k. Chevy is going after the supercar market, and I doubt they'll waste such an opportunity to sell base Vettes for $100k plus. Hell, the cheapest CF Monoqoque car I know of starts at around $60k, and that has a 4 cylinder with less than half the horsepower.

Or maybe the return of the 2 Seater Thunderbird convertible
Honestly, this would be awesome. The last one (2004+) was actually an excellent car for its time... was essentially a Jaguar XJR with a Ford DOHC V8, what more could you ask for? Hell, the thunderbird's purpose was to combat Corvette sales, but unfortunately, Ford in their ultimate wisdom took it in the direction of luxury rather than performance.

I thought I heard somewhere that it made 100+ less HP than the street car, but I always figured it was closer to the "hundred" than the "plus". less than 500 is just nuts

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
The street car is in the 650 neighborhood while the race car is at about 500. The race car is intentionally capped by FIA rules.

Not unusual, Corvette C6 ZR1 made more hp then the race version. Aero, tires, brakes, suspension also insure the "weaker" race versions would wipe the track with the street vesions.

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
If Ford wanted to do a 1200hp 5.8, and put it in another Ford GT, they would still sell them all. That's just how it is.
Sadly they managed to do the same thing with a blown six pack of pistons, and half the power you propose.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
[
I’ll take my prediction one step further, the C8 will be within $10K of a current C7. Mark my words.

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
[
I’ll take my prediction one step further, the C8 will be within $10K of a current C7. Mark my words.
Yeah but ..... which C7?

Probably a good $70k spread between a base 1lt no option Stringray and a 2019 ZR1. :cheers:
Sponsored