Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you mean base vs base, I highly doubt it. The base car will likely perform better than the current gen Z06, no way they would charge $60k for that
Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
[
I’ll take my prediction one step further, the C8 will be within $10K of a current C7. Mark my words.
This was a direct quote from a video with Peter DeLorenzo, long time automotive journalist!!

Honestly, I doubt that. Pretty sure its been leaked that its a carbon-fiber monoqoque chassis, and pairing that with a brand new DOHC V8 gives it a very small chance of being under $70k. Chevy is going after the supercar market, and I doubt they'll waste such an opportunity to sell base Vettes for $100k plus. Hell, the cheapest CF Monoqoque car I know of starts at around $60k, and that has a 4 cylinder with less than half the horsepower.
I highly doubt the base ME car will have a CF monoqoque. The C7 platform was designed to be modular and support an ME setup. I'm really not sure which way they are going with the ME, whether it's going to have a base and start the C8 or if the ME will be maybe two performance models, 1 around 100k and the high-end version pushing 150k. If the ME is the start of the C8 I'll bet it starts around 65k with 500+ hp. I think the GT500 will still be faster in straight line though and probably very close on the track, at least until the performance versions show up. It's really unfortunate that the 500 is so far behind schedule and I'm sure the dealers will add crazy ADM.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
highly doubt the base ME car will have a CF monoqoque. The C7 platform was designed to be modular and support an ME setup. I'm really not sure which way they are going with the ME, whether it's going to have a base and start the C8 or if the ME will be maybe two performance models, 1 around 100k and the high-end version pushing 150k. If the ME is the start of the C8 I'll bet it starts around 65k with 500+ hp. I think the GT500 will still be faster in straight line though and probably very close on the track, at least until the performance versions show up. It's really unfortunate that the 500 is so far behind schedule and I'm sure the dealers will add crazy ADM.
Really, a CF monocoque is something that you have to design a car around. I've never heard anything about the C7 being a modular platform, where did you hear that? I'm really curious now as to how a company could build a platform to apply to both front-engine and mid-engine cars. Either way, I'm highly doubtful that a mid-engine DOHC V8 car will be available for under $100k. Chevy has already expressed that they're trying to get away from the market that they're currently in and move towards a younger market. That, for the most part, means that there has to be some sort of exclusivity about it. Younger people with money for things like Vettes want something exclusive and different, whereas most older (and more sensible) people want the most bang for their buck. Also, with how great the performance is on the base C7, it's hard to imagine that a mid-engine design of a similar car with a better powerplant wouldn't FAR surpass it. The thought of them charging the same for a car with such a massive performance advantage just doesn't seem likely

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Really, a CF monocoque is something that you have to design a car around. I've never heard anything about the C7 being a modular platform, where did you hear that?
I'm really curious now as to how a company could build a platform to apply to both front-engine and mid-engine cars. Either way, I'm highly doubtful that a mid-engine DOHC V8 car will be available for under $100k. Chevy has already expressed that they're trying to get away from the market that they're currently in and move towards a younger market. That, for the most part, means that there has to be some sort of exclusivity about it. Younger people with money for things like Vettes want something exclusive and different, whereas most older (and more sensible) people want the most bang for their buck. Also, with how great the performance is on the base C7, it's hard to imagine that a mid-engine design of a similar car with a better powerplant wouldn't FAR surpass it. The thought of them charging the same for a car with such a massive performance advantage just doesn't seem likely
It's been mentioned on CorvetteForum by people in the "know". According to many it was originally planned for the C7 to be ME but economy ruined it. They won't use a CF monocoque, they'll use a modified version of the C7 aluminum platform. I'll see if I can find the post/thread on CF where its been discussed.

I don't disagree, it's why I and most are curious what route they take. Many believe the C8 lineup will go completely ME and the base will use a OHV V8 (65k version), likely a version of the current (LT1) engine. Then the next car (roughly 100K) will have a modified version of the new cadillac 4.2TT V8, boasting 600ish hp. Then a top tier version with 800ish hp. Or will they continue to sell FE cars, as you said to the sensible and then take the performance versions upmarket allowing the ME to be more exclusive. I really don't think a base ME with 500ish hp would be far superior to the current base C7 as the power is very usable. Its when you start getting over the 600hp and 600 tq that makes the ME more advantageous. I can't wait to see what the come out with though!

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I don’t believe GM will have 2 versions of the Vette out at the same time for long. The front engine car will eventually get weened out. There just isn’t a business case for 2 high end 2 seat sports cars

Sponsored

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
It's not going to be a Corvette. This new mid-engined car will be a high dollar supercar labeled as a Cadillac.
I have money on it with some co-workers.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I hope it is that way hammer but I'm sure it will be made in numbers...why else build a huge factory addition for a 10,000 cars or less? lots of old timers on the corvette forum who "know" people, they have all said high 60s low 70s for starters on the ME. I'll take those guys word for it.
UNLESS they build a C8 FE and a ME car at the same time. if they do that, could be a 100k+ car. otherwise we are gonna see gobs of American made mid engine cars roaming the streets in the next couple years, which would be awesome as well. the way I look at it, it's a win win situation for me :)
on another front Ford had their annual shareholder voting today. I didn't agree with 95% of their votes.

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
I hope it is that way hammer but I'm sure it will be made in numbers...why else build a huge factory addition for a 10,000 cars or less? lots of old timers on the corvette forum who "know" people, they have all said high 60s low 70s for starters on the ME. I'll take those guys word for it.
UNLESS they build a C8 FE and a ME car at the same time. if they do that, could be a 100k+ car. otherwise we are gonna see gobs of American made mid engine cars roaming the streets in the next couple years, which would be awesome as well. the way I look at it, it's a win win situation for me :)
on another front Ford had their annual shareholder voting today. I didn't agree with 95% of their votes.
1. You're still going to keep getting Corvettes. The C8 will just be an update to the C7.
2. The mid-engine car will be to Cadillac what the GT is to Ford. Possibly higher volume, lower priced. But still, it's simply going to be a homologation car to get a cheater car in to WEC/IMSA racing like Ford did.
3. Where can I see the voting you mention?

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
I assume you mean that you don’t agree with the focus and direction of Ford. If so, does that mean less focus on performance cars? A focus on putting out cheap imitations of cars with shitty quality? Anything you can share?

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
1. You're still going to keep getting Corvettes. The C8 will just be an update to the C7.
2. The mid-engine car will be to Cadillac what the GT is to Ford. Possibly higher volume, lower priced. But still, it's simply going to be a homologation car to get a cheater car in to WEC/IMSA racing like Ford did.
3. Where can I see the voting you mention?
I guess this is a Corvette thread now

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I assume you mean that you don’t agree with the focus and direction of Ford. If so, does that mean less focus on performance cars? A focus on putting out cheap imitations of cars with shitty quality? Anything you can share?
glad you like the direction. if you own enough shares you can vote too.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I guess this is a Corvette thread now
Ya unfortunately threads get off course when you haven’t shown hardly anything and we’ve been speculating for 2 years on this!! And we think it won’t be introduced for another 6 months or so. We’re just going around in circles waiting, and it’s no longer patiently!

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
I wanna hear more about the Mustang history behind the name "GT500R".
Well, that's how the "people who knows" say that the Track Version of the GT500 will be called.

Honestly, this would be awesome. The last one (2004+) was actually an excellent car for its time... was essentially a Jaguar XJR with a Ford DOHC V8, what more could you ask for? Hell, the thunderbird's purpose was to combat Corvette sales, but unfortunately, Ford in their ultimate wisdom took it in the direction of luxury rather than performance.
Actually, the Thunderbird had a 3.9L "Ford V8" which was heavily based on a Jag line of engines... but smaller.

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
Ya unfortunately threads get off course when you haven’t shown hardly anything and we’ve been speculating for 2 years on this!! And we think it won’t be introduced for another 6 months or so. We’re just going around in circles waiting, and it’s no longer patiently!
Right. What else is there to do but give Chevy performance vehicles all sorts of air time.

There's really been no news since the GT350 was announced. When was that ... 2014 ?

Bullits, CSs, refreshes ... not news.

Hello ? Ford ? Buehler ?

:frusty:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
lots of old timers on the corvette forum who "know" people, they have all said high 60s low 70s for starters on the ME. I'll take those guys word for it.
Considering that the GT500 has already been officially announced and we don't even have pricing on that yet, I doubt there's even talk of pricing within GM for the ME Vette yet. They need to finish a car and do market studies before they determine a price for it. Hell, they don't even have any information about the Camaro update that's coming in 6 months, I doubt they have reliable information on pricing. At this point, it's a guessing game, and we have to be realistic with our guesses and look at the market competitors and the target audience for the car.

I doubt it. I thought this at first as well, but an insider has told me that he at least knows the mid-engine car IS a corvette. Cadillac might have their own iteration of it (since they announced that they plan on introducing a new high performance coupe), but there will be a ME Vette.

Actually, the Thunderbird had a 3.9L "Ford V8" which was heavily based on a Jag line of engines... but smaller.
Really? I always thought it was a variant of the Ford Modular... that's crazy!
Sponsored