Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is that they are building PAPRs. They are used for workers to move freely in the field where filtered air is adequate for safety. Some people cannot use full face respirators and a PAPR resolves most of the issues. Most of these units can be decontaminated without problems. The filters are usually replaced after every use.
Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The thing is Ford employees will have to be trained to build the medical equipment. I would think the Ford employees not building PPE and medical devices could wear protective equipment and produce Mustangs along side the ones building medical devices. You know Ford has not disassembled their auto production assembly lines to make medical devices.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 gt 350 ,07 f150 lariat,2016 Lincoln navigator
The thing is Ford employees will have to be trained to build the medical equipment. I would think the Ford employees not building PPE and medical devices could wear protective equipment and produce Mustangs along side the ones building medical devices. You know Ford has not disassembled their auto production assembly lines to make medical devices.
Yes that could be possible,but there will only be 90 of us there in total not 2000 during production and we will not be building in frap main building but the roush building

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
At any rate. I would like to thank King cobra 500 for stepping up and volunteering to help make these mask.
For those of us who have to be out in this mess to do our jobs, PPE is important so that we can not only do our jobs, but stay healthy so we can continue to do our jobs.
I'm lucky, my exposure is limited right now, but I imagine working in a hospital has got to be nerve racking with a shortage of PPE.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Think about how parts to build the car are sourced, they probably come from 20 different countries and 1000’s of suppliers. If the 50 strong company supplying seatbelt webbing isn’t operational, the assembly line stops. It’s going to be quite a while before car production restarts. I would guess we have seen the end of 2020 model year production.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I would expect Ford to keep enough parts in stock to keep the production going for a while. I don't think that every time someone orders a car Ford goes to each and every supplier to buy one seatbelt, one airbag, one set of pedals or one Sync unit. They order them in bulk in advance, according to the foreseen production over the next months and to the foreseen demand of spare parts.
That being said, as time goes by I am indeed less and less confident that I will ever get my car. I wouldn't be surprised to hear from the dealer that they've cancelled my order. The dealer is still optimistic, but I'm not.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Wasn't the plant supposed to be closed in order to keep its workforce safe? If the plant can be opened, i.e. people are allowed to come to work and it's safe for them to be there, then what's the point in keeping the plant closed any longer? Why not start building cars again? It's not safe to build cars, but it's safe to build someting else? How come?
It's the same as any business that is still running right now. All non-essential people who aren't doing the production will be at home. To build cars you need to fully staff the assembly line. This will be fewer people farther spaced taking more precautions.

Well, yeah, OK, but I didn't get that message from them. I mean, if Ford had said "because it's a war-like situation, and we want to help as best we can, we're going to shut down the production of cars and to start building respirators", it would have made sense.
But they did not. They said "we're closing down the factories because we want to keep our workers safe". In that case, how are they safer building respirators than they would be building cars?
The President asked them to make these parts and Ford stepped up. It's not like they somehow invented this idea. America needs these parts a lot more than we need more new cars right now. Ford is helping in the effort to slow and stop Corona Virus. Don't you agree that it's an important thing to do?

Yes that could be possible,but there will only be 90 of us there in total not 2000 during production and we will not be building in frap main building but the roush building
Thank you for volunteering for this work!

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's the same as any business that is still running right now. All non-essential people who aren't doing the production will be at home. To build cars you need to fully staff the assembly line. This will be fewer people farther spaced taking more precautions.
Thanks. That makes sense.

America needs these parts a lot more than we need more new cars right now. Ford is helping in the effort to slow and stop Corona Virus. Don't you agree that it's an important thing to do?
Sure I do. I was just wondering how one was possible while the other wasn't. But I get it now.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Not to be a seerer into the future, but this clovid stuff is going to have a long term world economic impact. The second muscle car boom may be coming to an abrupt end...

Be thankful for what you have.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
At any rate. I would like to thank King cobra 500 for stepping up and volunteering to help make these mask.
For those of us who have to be out in this mess to do our jobs, PPE is important so that we can not only do our jobs, but stay healthy so we can continue to do our jobs.
I'm lucky, my exposure is limited right now, but I imagine working in a hospital has got to be nerve racking with a shortage of PPE.
I'll add my thanks to all for volunteering to help with shortages!
Yes, working in a hospital is, well, frightening right now.
I'm in a major Atlanta hospital and have been given 1 N95 mask that I'm expected to keep for two weeks. I don't know if there will be another when this one can no longer be used. Keep in mind that two months ago this mask was considered single use and to be disposed of after each case/patient. Nerve racking doesn't come close...

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I would expect Ford to keep enough parts in stock to keep the production going for a while. I don't think that every time someone orders a car Ford goes to each and every supplier to buy one seatbelt, one airbag, one set of pedals or one Sync unit. They order them in bulk in advance, according to the foreseen production over the next months and to the foreseen demand of spare parts.
That being said, as time goes by I am indeed less and less confident that I will ever get my car. I wouldn't be surprised to hear from the dealer that they've cancelled my order. The dealer is still optimistic, but I'm not.
Have you ever watched documentaries or things like science channel How its made....they featured a auto seat builder...they build the seats based on planned production for the DAY and practice “just in time delivery “. The seats literally arrive hours before being bolted into car, on pallets to match the day’s production order.....that’s prevalent in today’s world, low stock means low inventory cost....that’s the type of situation that will slow the restart of mass production lines....

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll add my thanks to all for volunteering to help with shortages!
Yes, working in a hospital is, well, frightening right now.
I'm in a major Atlanta hospital and have been given 1 N95 mask that I'm expected to keep for two weeks. I don't know if there will be another when this one can no longer be used. Keep in mind that two months ago this mask was considered single use and to be disposed of after each case/patient. Nerve racking doesn't come close...

Thank you for your service,you and people in the health care are the real heros..may God be with you all,stay safe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you ever watched documentaries or things like science channel How its made....they featured a auto seat builder...they build the seats based on planned production for the DAY and practice “just in time delivery “. The seats literally arrive hours before being bolted into car, on pallets to match the day’s production order.....that’s prevalent in today’s world, low stock means low inventory cost....that’s the type of situation that will slow the restart of mass production lines....

Correct you are..one of the dumbest business models in my opinion...last year a plant in Mexico went on strike that made the steering wheel airbags and it shut production down for over a week,and that was just one component..now Imagine that happening with multiple components
Sponsored