KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
I try to avoid Shell and here's why.
Several years ago I worked at an auto shop that had a chassis dyno, and we used it A LOT. When guys would come in that were running Shell, it smelled different, and not in a good way, plus their power was always lower than with the same octane gas from anyone else. The Shell gas almost had a vinegar smell to it. We could tell after the first pull if someone was running it even without them telling us simply based on the smell it was so pronounced. Plus, for some reason even their 93 octane was more prone to knock than anyone else's 93 octane. Maybe it's different now as this was 12+ yrs ago, but based on that experience that never changed, I wont use it in anything even now.
Sponsored

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
I just checked my app, it seems to be .60 to .90 on this side of MD, depending on station.
Paid $2.15 to fill up my pickup with 87 octane, then paid $2.86 for 93 octane at the same station later that day.
It seems crazy to me there is so much difference in the two grades.

trumpetpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Had the tune and CAI done today at local dealer. Since I had read all of this thread, I knew to expect some crap performance at first. I am about 75 miles into the tune, and I just got a check engine light saying P0299, which is something about the turbo being in underboost condition.

Also, boost will not go above 0

Has anyone else had this?

Last edited:

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Sounds like they did a choppy job on the intake. Check to see if the new box is fitted to the intake hose and take it back. Should be no CEL.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Had the tune and CAI done today at local dealer. Since I had read all of this thread, I knew to expect some crap performance at first. I am about 75 miles into the tune, and I just got a check engine light saying P0299, which is something about the turbo being in underboost condition.

Also, boost will not go above 0

Has anyone else had this?
Yes. The intake was installed poorly and some hoses weren't installed correctly. Check hose fitting below and your intercooler charge pipe at the intercooler to see if it blew off. Both happened to me after install.
20170518_131720.jpg

trumpetpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Turns out to be a hose labeled TB, a big one on the right below the CAI - annoyed but grateful nothing major

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
Quick question. Does anyone know if the battery is disconnected for time will the ecru have to "relearn" the fuel parameters again? Thanks. I had mine in the shop for a few things like the pony lamps and it seems to be running less than optimal now. Feels like it did right after the tune install.

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Octane adjust and profile leanring?

So I reflashed my car today - took it in for a oil change and the car felt like they had possibly reflashed me back to stock - felt really sluggish.

Anyway, after setting up everything on my computer I noticed there was an octane adjust and profile learning option that wasn't there when I originally installed it. Anyone know what these options are all about?

Sponsored

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
So I reflashed my car today - took it in for a oil change and the car felt like they had possibly reflashed me back to stock - felt really sluggish.

Anyway, after setting up everything on my computer I noticed there was an octane adjust and profile learning option that wasn't there when I originally installed it. Anyone know what these options are all about?
They should had been there before. Sounds like you did not flash your car right. Make sure you complete the full process.

Octane adjusts is a safety option encase the fuel used in your car is less than recommended octane level of 91 or more. I would leave it off unless you drive in a area where 93 is not widely available.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP

From the manual:

When to use Octane Adjust and Profile Learning

The Octane Adjust switch should only be switched to “ON” when spark retardation is desired. Some engines have increased octane sensitivity and require spark table adjustment. By switching the Ocatne Adjust switch to “ON” you are telling the PCM to reference a different spark table. Normally, this is only necessary if your engine is knocking.

The Profile Learning switch should only be switched to “ON” when the engine is reporting a misfire DTC such as P0300-P0316. By enabling this switch, the engine will prompt the driver to rev the engine to a specific rpm until the PCM relearns the fire pattern characteristics of the trigger wheel.​

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
From the manual:

When to use Octane Adjust and Profile Learning

The Octane Adjust switch should only be switched to “ON” when spark retardation is desired. Some engines have increased octane sensitivity and require spark table adjustment. By switching the Ocatne Adjust switch to “ON” you are telling the PCM to reference a different spark table. Normally, this is only necessary if your engine is knocking.

The Profile Learning switch should only be switched to “ON” when the engine is reporting a misfire DTC such as P0300-P0316. By enabling this switch, the engine will prompt the driver to rev the engine to a specific rpm until the PCM relearns the fire pattern characteristics of the trigger wheel.​
This is interesting, because this morning I flashed the updated tune with the correction for the 5500rpm flat spot, and noticed that the octane adjust was set to ON when I plugged the thing in. Should I go back and turn it off, or does it default to off when you flash a new tune? I never looked at it again when I got done.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
This is interesting, because this morning I flashed the updated tune with the correction for the 5500rpm flat spot, and noticed that the octane adjust was set to ON when I plugged the thing in. Should I go back and turn it off, or does it default to off when you flash a new tune? I never looked at it again when I got done.
I can't say for sure but I really thought last year when it was new, it defaulted to on.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Ah, I remember. The option would only be available after a successful flash. So you would not need to reflash it, just turn it off when you plug your PC with the ProCal software in again.
Sponsored