Ford Racing PP2 wheels

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
What scares me about the weight reduction is the structual integrity. I really want to buy a set of the SVE PP2 replicas but my cars sees track time about once a month. SVE says "conic looks - built for performance and engineered for the streets!" So not really track oriented. Has anyone been running the SVE PP2 replicas on the track? I may create another thread to ask. The only thing that really sucks about the SVE's is the 10 in vs OEM 10.5 rim. I really want to put a 305 squared setup on but... monies. I cant really find any inexpensive (400-500 ish per rim) wheels that fit the PP1 in 10.5 in.
I understand your concern, especially if you listen verbatim to the marketing verbiage of the wheel (my bone of contention with SVE - I have marketing and advertising Background - they need to align the promise of the product with what it actually does, and vice versa)

Anyway the truth is, assuming we believe that the SP2s are flow-formed, as SVE promotes, this would make their wheels very good for track - if not better - than OE [problem is, we don't even know what the OE wheels are, forged, not forged, etc - although the weight of them could be a clue.]

Flow-Forming has some great benefits, as outlined in this quick article (there are many out there):
https://konigwheels.com/wheel-info-tech/what-is-flow-forming-technology/

Quick quote from the article:
"...This process stretches and compresses the aluminum, which increases tensile strength. In this respect the process shares similar properties to those found in the forging process. The final product is lighter, stronger, has increased elongation, and a much greater shock resistance as well as the ability to increase load capacity over a traditional cast wheel (of the same design)."
Sponsored

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I understand your concern, especially if you listen verbatim to the marketing verbiage of the wheel (my bone of contention with SVE - I have marketing and advertising Background - they need to align the promise of the product with what it actually does, and vice versa)

Anyway the truth is, assuming we believe that the SP2s are flow-formed, as SVE promotes, this would make their wheels very good for track - if not better - than OE [problem is, we don't even know what the OE wheels are, forged, not forged, etc - although the weight of them could be a clue.]

Flow-Forming has some great benefits, as outlined in this quick article (there are many out there):
https://konigwheels.com/wheel-info-tech/what-is-flow-forming-technology/

Quick quote from the article:
"...This process stretches and compresses the aluminum, which increases tensile strength. In this respect the process shares similar properties to those found in the forging process. The final product is lighter, stronger, has increased elongation, and a much greater shock resistance as well as the ability to increase load capacity over a traditional cast wheel (of the same design)."
OEM PP1 wheels are like 33 or 34 lbs. The PP2 OEM wheels are 31/32
SVE PP2 are 24.1

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT Premium w/ PP
Not to hi-jack thread but wonder if a gt pp1 would have clearance issues with the pp2 wheels, like the article suggests...

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Not to hi-jack thread but wonder if a gt pp1 would have clearance issues with the pp2 wheels, like the article suggests...
Ford states (somewhere, I wish I had the link) that oem PP2 wheels wont fit. The question is whether it's due to wheel well trim differences as others have mentioned, or, something like suspension geometry differences - for example, clearance between the wheel's inner edge and the front McPherson strut tube.

It's this complicated dance with wheel width, offset, and other unknown variables, like below:

A)
Strut tube design:

1. Magneride Cars:
Obviously, all PP2s are Mageneride-equipped In Magneride cars, the strut body appears to be a monotube design. (I can confirm this after switching wheels on my own PP2.)
These are from a salvaged GT350:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

2. Non-Magneride PP1 cars: Appear to have a twin-tube strut body, evidenced by the the crushed portion, to allow for clearance of the wheel/tire. (Notice the Reflections/highlights on the tube body, and how they bend, indicating a non-perfectly round body).
First Pic from Edmunds.
Second pic is a Ford Performance Track Handling Pack strut.
Edmunds PP1 Strut.png

s-l500.jpg

3. Non-PP cars [No Magneride, No PP1 or 2]: Are mono-tube (From a Salvaged non-PP car):
K.jpg

B)
Strut tube height & spring perch size/diameter:

These two dimensions affect how close the tire will come to the strut body.
If the strut body doesn't have enough height, the tire hits the spring perch.
If the spring perch has too large a diameter, it can also contact the tire.
Strut Tube Magneride.png

Just some thoughts for discuss, I wish I knew the answer.

Sponsored

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT
@AMChief5.0 I have a PP1 with oem PP2 wheels without any problem.....

blown302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 mustang gt/2004 svt cobra/2016 GT PP
Any pics? Is the poke that bad?

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Great Ford OEM parts now where is the Stage 1 2 amd 3 performance packages for the gen3 engine!?!?!?!?!

Sponsored

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT

blown302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 mustang gt/2004 svt cobra/2016 GT PP
Very nice. Did you just get them from the dealer?

RubyRedFlame

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
105 and 11.... 285/40 PS4
2018 red 1.jpg
Thanks for this. I am interested in purchasing the Ford Performance PP2 replica variant (10.5 front, 11 rear) with the same tire size configuration on a PP1 Mustang GT. Now that you have been running this for a while, any issues with clearance? Any other issues?
Sponsored