WKT

I Bleed FORD Blue!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot Grey
I have this on my car when I first put it on the car I left the side pipes as they come wide open and let me tell you it is loud, cold stars are crazy loud wot even crazier it get really raspy at high rpm and very very loud, I liked it a lot but after a while it did get on my nerves, I could not have a normal conversation in the car at cruising speeds. I was about to buy the qtp cut outs for the boss to see if they would fit, but $340 dlls more going into an already expensive exhaust that would put the exhaust up too like $1400 dlls I think too much money for an x pipe with no power gains. So I got a 3/4" hole plate that they sell on ebay, when I saw the 3/4" hole I thought it was going to bring the volume way down because it's so small but it's still loud on cold stars and very loud on wot but just not so raspy and will cruising it just tone it down to were you can have a normal conversation in the car, I think I could even go with smaller size hole like 5/8" and it will still be loud it all deepens on what you looking.
Thanks, I was hoping somebody had installed this x-pipe and could give some feed back. I kind of figured I might have to buy the 1/2" and 3/4" restrictor and try them to see what would give the right volume and sound.
I would love to find a used one, somebody who decided to go with a different exhaust setup after trying the x-pipe/side pipes.
Sponsored

Grim_Reaper

'Merica
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylon
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special 10-spd
Instead of spending a grand, I would recommend visiting your local muffler shop and ask for a quote for replicating these pipes. $800 extra for a pair of side pipes sounds a little ridiculous to me. However, side pipes do sound spectacular!

For $800, you could probably replicate these pipes and buy a set of electric cutouts to remedy any drone or when you want to go into stealth mode (assuming you have stock resonator and mufflers).
^ This!

I showed my muffler shop this setup and he quoted me $300 for parts and labor. When it comes to exhaust, finding a quality shop can save you a lot of money. My whole catback system now cost me $450 parts and labor.

OP
OP
WKT

WKT

I Bleed FORD Blue!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
I wish I had a decent muffler shop near me, all we have is a Midas muffler here and they don't do any custom work. I'll have to check around and see if there is anybody within driving distance.

silver.gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 silver gt
^ This!

I showed my muffler shop this setup and he quoted me $300 for parts and labor. When it comes to exhaust, finding a quality shop can save you a lot of money. My whole catback system now cost me $450 parts and labor.
That is cheap the lowest quoted I could get in my area was like $700 initially I was going to built it because I what an Hpipe, I'm a much bigger fan of Hpipe sound then and Xpipe because of the raspy sound of the Xpipe, and also think and Hpipe with side pipes would be much more quieter over the Xpipe do to the direction of the air flows.
But the thing about is I went with the original ford part because after you see it you can see why it is so expensive, yes it's just an x-pipe but the side pipes do have some difficulty to it, not all of it is round tube for ground cleaners and fitment purposes also why I think they went with and Xpipe and not an Hpipe, and then also the end of the side pipe where it bolts on to the car you have to make sure its bolted with rubber bushings so the vibration of the side pipes does not transfer to the inside of the car, because when I get on it some time I can hear the vibration so even with the ford original i get some light vibration noise I would think one built by a local shop would transfer more vibration if not done correctly, I don't think any local muffler shop is going to spend much time thinking about those thing as ford did to come out with a good product, that why I preferred to spend a little more money and getting the ford one instead of building a one locally. May be if I would of gotten a $300 quote it would of been a different story.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Just to set the record straight. Your mufflers are going to have a ton more to do with the raspiness of an exhaust set than an xpipe.

It's a huge misconception that an xpipe automatically makes a setup raspy. That is just not the case.

Sponsored

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
^ This!

Yeah, I'll have to check around as well! If not, I'd still be interested in picking up a used one, but it doesn't seem like many people have it...

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Just to set the record straight. Your mufflers are going to have a ton more to do with the raspiness of an exhaust set than an xpipe.

It's a huge misconception that an xpipe automatically makes a setup raspy. That is just not the case.

I wish people would actually understand this for a change instead of repeating the same old ignorant "x-pipe=raspy" BS.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
^ This!

Thanks...how was the quality of the part they crafted and sound? Is there dron

Grim_Reaper

'Merica
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylon
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special 10-spd
OP
OP
WKT

WKT

I Bleed FORD Blue!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Matte Black

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

Respectfully disagree- you put the same set of mufflers on a car, and change only the midpipe, the x-pipe WILL make the sound more raspy compared to an h-pipe. I agree that a muffler will have an affect on the sound but 'rasp' is typically going to be introduced and ultimately magnified by an X pipe.

You want easy proof? Stock mufflers, no rasp with factory resonator. Introduce the X-pipe and well...listen for yourself.

[ame]

And if you want more examples look at the Corsa systems- The sport catback and the touring axleback utilize the same muffler- but once that crazy x-pipe is introduced in the catback, things go from mild to rasp-city quickly. The xtreme is this, just on steroids.

[ame]

vs.

[ame]

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Would there be any drawbacks like hp/torque loss or changes to the back presssure resulting from installing this with some baffles in place to tame the sound just a bit? I know that the Boss had them, but that car was also designed that way. I feel like it might be a little over-the-top for me with the S-types I already have, but it might sound awesome with just a bit of additional sound from the side pipes. I'd also really like to hear this with the FRPP Touring mufflers.

I'd still rather buy one used, though. A grand is hard to swallow for a mid pipe...

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Respectfully disagree- you put the same set of mufflers on a car, and change only the midpipe, the x-pipe WILL make the sound more raspy compared to an h-pipe. I agree that a muffler will have an affect on the sound but 'rasp' is typically going to be introduced and ultimately magnified by an X pipe.

You want easy proof? Stock mufflers, no rasp with factory resonator. Introduce the X-pipe and well...listen for yourself.

And if you want more examples look at the Corsa systems- The sport catback and the touring axleback utilize the same muffler- but once that crazy x-pipe is introduced in the catback, things go from mild to rasp-city quickly. The xtreme is this, just on steroids.

Stock mufflers will rasp with a h-pipe too if you remove the cats. Same with the Corsas when under WOT acceleration. The x-pipe isn't the cause, it is the increase in overall volume of the exhaust. I too have done back-to-back-to-back-to-back x-pipe vs. h-pipe setups on my personal 2011 5.0, first with factory headers/cats and again with longtube headers. The worst rasp was of course with the headers but even after switching to a custom made h-pipe(not available with the headers) it still had a ton of rasp. I had to install mid-mufflers to cut down the rasp.