Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
The temp skyrocketed here the last few days. It's almost 90° out. IATs still seem to stay within 4° when moving but if I'm stopped for a while the temps definitely climb a fair bit. I think I hit 130° today. The tune is definitely very dependent on the quality of gas and temperature. 93 e10 would be the best from a pump, especially during the summer. I just dumped in 4 galons of e50/e85 (says it's within that range) to help a bit.

Another recommendation I have is to make sure advanced traction control is off. Even with the stock tune, this made a noticeable difference in the low end torque. It just doesn't give it to you. Although, if you do, make sure your tires are warmed up or you'll lose the rear end real quick.

I did take it out two nights ago when it was a bit colder and first gear, especially, is insanely fun. There's absolutely no hesitation like the stock tune. Some kids in a modded wrx chased me down (they actually followed me for quite a while). You know the type, bigger turbo, decals everywhere, rap music blasting... passenger yelled out the window that he wants me to tell him if I like the new tail lights at the next light and I just smiled. That poor little thing was obliterated. We got to the next light and the windows roll up LOL. Before the tune I know I would've lost off the line and had to quickly play catch up. That lag being gone is so nice.
Sponsored

Pandajoshy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The temp skyrocketed here the last few days. It's almost 90° out. IATs still seem to stay within 4° when moving but if I'm stopped for a while the temps definitely climb a fair bit. I think I hit 130° today. The tune is definitely very dependent on the quality of gas and temperature. 93 e10 would be the best from a pump, especially during the summer. I just dumped in 4 galons of e50/e85 (says it's within that range) to help a bit.

Another recommendation I have is to make sure advanced traction control is off. Even with the stock tune, this made a noticeable difference in the low end torque. It just doesn't give it to you. Although, if you do, make sure your tires are warmed up or you'll lose the rear end real quick.

I did take it out two nights ago when it was a bit colder and first gear, especially, is insanely fun. There's absolutely no hesitation like the stock tune. Some kids in a modded wrx chased me down (they actually followed me for quite a while). You know the type, bigger turbo, decals everywhere, rap music blasting... passenger yelled out the window that he wants me to tell him if I like the new tail lights at the next light and I just smiled. That poor little thing was obliterated. We got to the next light and the windows roll up LOL. Before the tune I know I would've lost off the line and had to quickly play catch up. That lag being gone is so nice.
Do you have manual or automatic? When you raced the WRX you had advance traction control off and on what drive mode?

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Do you have manual or automatic? When you raced the WRX you had advance traction control off and on what drive mode?
Manual. Advanced traction off is pretty much my default after I noticed the big difference it made when I first got the car. So yes, it was off. And standard. I don't have track mode and using sport mode prevents me from turning off advanced traction control.

Pandajoshy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Manual. Advanced traction off is pretty much my default after I noticed the big difference it made when I first got the car. So yes, it was off. And standard. I don't have track mode and using sport mode prevents me from turning off advanced traction control.
Ohh ok. That's crazy how much the traction control will cut the torque down. But as long as you know how to handle the power and not end up like those mustang driver's in the YouTube videos that go crashing into crowds, more "power" to you lol. I'm tempted to try it out myself but don't want to end up in a ditch haha:cwl:

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ohh ok. That's crazy how much the traction control will cut the torque down. But as long as you know how to handle the power and not end up like those mustang driver's in the YouTube videos that go crashing into crowds, more "power" to you lol. I'm tempted to try it out myself but don't want to end up in a ditch haha:cwl:
My biggest gripe is that it's doing something whether you're losing control or not. I also get nasty wheel hop with it on. I turn it off and it's gone. Tires just spin. I see no need for the "stop the hop" stuff if all I have to do is hold down a button to prevent it.

The 2019 is the first car I've owned that has had ABS brakes and traction control so I do have experience. I also was an idiot in my youth and learned a bit from it. The trick is just knowing when to let off. As soon as you spin and start to lose the rear back off of the throttle 100% and this usually is more than enough to straighten back out. It happens really quick, and often you can mash the pedal back down once you're straight.

Where people, at least from the videos, really screw up are a couple of things. For one, cold tires won't grip. They just won't. The idiots gassing it after a couple hour long cars and coffee are just asking for it. Another is to keep your foot off of the brakes. For many this seems counter intuitive but if you slam the brakes you'll just lock up and end up in a ditch. If you're going to lose the car and you know this 100%, you're better off flooring it and cranking the wheel in the direction you're spinning to try and pull a 180° and stop in place. This move saved me from careening into a ditch when I spun out, in my old mustang, in the snow. The third is when someone does what they should do but then they over compensate where they turn and cause the car to snap in the opposite direction. Now you're frantically fighting a swerving butt and this genuinely scary. I had this happen to me in the middle of a dual left hand turn. I'm amazed I didn't hit the person on my left, and if it weren't for the right turn lane that opened up, I'd have hit the curb.

I'll mirror what's often said and that's to take it into an empty parking lot and see what happens. If you're new to it then that first gear pull, without any traction control, will be terrifying in the best kind of way.

Sponsored

mjr1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Do you have a picture? I looked it up but not sure exactly how it is mounted. If it is tight near the throttle body sensor, then you might just put some thermal tape around the hose to protect the sensor.
It fits without the bracket. The separator housing still fits in the same spot as before, it just now rests on the throttle body connector. It's pretty secure, I was just hoping someone figured out a way to finagle the bracket back in.

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
^^do what we did with the JLT catch can. You switch or reverse the hoses. The JLT catch can has a nut holding the hoses. It may make more room for you. Maybe the FP catch can has same where you can switch the hoses.

andrewzander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It fits without the bracket. The separator housing still fits in the same spot as before, it just now rests on the throttle body connector. It's pretty secure, I was just hoping someone figured out a way to finagle the bracket back in.
I asked FP about fitment of the air/oil separator and the tune kit and they said that the two would fit together.

mjr1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I asked FP about fitment of the air/oil separator and the tune kit and they said that the two would fit together.
I'll contact Ford Performance and see if there is a way to get the bracket to fit. My guess is that the bracket will not fit, judging by the design of it and where it bolts to the valve cover.

SDAMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Does anyone know how this compares against the Roush performance pac 1? (the one that includes tune and intake only)

Sponsored

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know how this compares against the Roush performance pac 1? (the one that includes tune and intake only)
Yeah so few reviews or anyone who sports the Roush Level 1 Pac. I see AM doing a video and dyno, but actually did the dyno with an incorrect install, due to running the Roush Tune on the CAI with insert removed. Roush states the insert is not to be removed, the instruction sheet is badly written and does not say to remove or leave insert, no idea if dyno would be worse or better if ran the correct way?

Roush CAI can be run either stock or with Roush tune.

But compared to the Ford one, you can flash back to stock, but would have to remover the whole thing to run properly stock.

Roush has to be done with a dealership pass through device and overwrites the stock tune, I do not think you can get a back up of your stock tune?

However every customer review I see is like 5 stars on the Roush one.

Last edited:

mjr1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are the chances that this tune would support E85? I know the stock fuel system is capable of it, just that the car would need a tune. Is the Ford Performance tune up to snuff to run E85?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
What are the chances that this tune would support E85? I know the stock fuel system is capable of it, just that the car would need a tune. Is the Ford Performance tune up to snuff to run E85?
0% chance lol. You can add a small amount of e85 to 91/93 mix to help with knock (at least stock you can) but your AFR would be way off if trying to run full e85.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
No and have to return tune back to stock and load a custom e85 / flex tune from Lund or something to do E85. This is a 91-93 only FP canned tune.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
No and have to return tune back to stock and load a custom e85 / flex tune from Lund or something to do E85. This is a 91-93 only FP canned tune.
Wrong. The tune itself won't work with e85 but you do not have to return to stock. At most you'd have to load your stock tune and then the custom tune. Any custom tuner can account for the throttle body and air intake.
Sponsored