OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
The Ford Pass customer rep told me I needed to have the dealer install the hardware on my 18 GT Premium then pay for the service. Pricing is through the dealers, so I guess there is no set amount - just what you can negotiate. My GM cars all have similar features included in the purchase price for several years . . . makes me wonder why Ford is charging for it.
I believe 18s built prior to (approximately) January 2018 do not have the hardware pre-installed.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
When was your car built? My 18 GT Premium came with the LTE modem. As far as the data service, you are paying it through AT&T. It's $20 a month for unlimited data. If you already have AT&T, I believe it's $10/month.

How would someone know if their 2018 has the modem or not - is there a place in the vehicle to look for it, or some other method of determine it is or is not in their vehicle?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible / 2018 Mustang GT
According the the 2018 Mustang brochure, it's only the Premium Plus (201A, 401A) cars:

Premium Plus Package
(Equipment Group 201A) 12" configurable LCD digital instrument cluster with MyColor; heated steering wheel; SYNC Connect 3 embedded 4G LTE modem powered by FordPass™ App (includes Wi-Fi hotspot capability)

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Naw, I got a Dec '17 and it's there.
That’s why I said “approximately”, the initial few months definitely didn’t have it. :p

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
When I got my car in April the dealer staff seemed confused about the Smartlink feature. I had to point out it was on the window sticker.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
As far as data goes I don't see any use to getting the data/WiFi services if you already have AT&T. Sync 3 still requires everything route through your phone's connection and the system itself can't use the LTE connection outside of Ford Pass functions.

So if you connect you phone to the WiFi hotspot it has to pass from the car, to the phone and then back to the car again. That just seems stupid.

Also, my AT&T phone gets faster connection speeds than I was able to get through the trial WiFi hotspot.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible / 2018 Mustang GT
Does anyone have a 2018 Premium car without the electronic dash (200A/400A, not 200A/401A) that has built-in LTE?

Based on the brochure, it would seem that only 201A/401A cars should have it.

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
How would someone know if their 2018 has the modem or not - is there a place in the vehicle to look for it, or some other method of determine it is or is not in their vehicle?
Look on your window sticker. It should say Sync Connect in red. From my understanding, early MY2018 builds didn't come with the LTE modem.

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
As far as data goes I don't see any use to getting the data/WiFi services if you already have AT&T. Sync 3 still requires everything route through your phone's connection and the system itself can't use the LTE connection outside of Ford Pass functions.

So if you connect you phone to the WiFi hotspot it has to pass from the car, to the phone and then back to the car again. That just seems stupid.

Also, my AT&T phone gets faster connection speeds than I was able to get through the trial WiFi hotspot.
How else is it going to work? The car is a WiFI hotspot so of course you are picking up the signal from the car to your phone, then back. I subscribe to the hotspot feature and think it works great. I supplement it with my Verizon plan since I don't have a lot of data. I always do app updates when I'm in the car.

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
How else is it going to work? The car is a WiFI hotspot so of course you are picking up the signal from the car to your phone, then back. I subscribe to the hotspot feature and think it works great. I supplement it with my Verizon plan since I don't have a lot of data. I always do app updates when I'm in the car.
Some cars have telematics systems that work with native apps, so a phone isn't even required. You can stream Pandora, google maps, etc. directly to the car.

Sync requires the cell phone to run the apps, which adds a layer of complexity. So Sync with LTE will download the data, then send it to the phone through WiFi for processing and then route it back through USB or BT. All of this complicates things and often causes a big covfefe.

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Some cars have telematics systems that work with native apps, so a phone isn't even required. You can stream Pandora, google maps, etc. directly to the car.

Sync requires the cell phone to run the apps, which adds a layer of complexity. So Sync with LTE will download the data, then send it to the phone through WiFi for processing and then route it back through USB or BT. All of this complicates things and often causes a big covfefe.
I've seen cars with built in Pandora, but never seen a car with built in Google Maps. I did read Volvo is going to have built in google maps. I prefer using carplay since I never have issues with that. I don't really find any use for app link since the apps I use the most are already in Carplay. With iOS 12 releasing soon, I won't ever use app link again. It's going to be nice having Waze, Sygic, and Google Maps as native CarPlay apps.

Aldopena

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aldo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
Is there anyways to have modicum installed into 2016 mustangs. I’m sure it could be transferred from one mustang to another. Some one please help since I have another mustang that I’m able to get the parts from.
Sponsored