Sponsored

Ford is now referring to he Mach-e as "The Mustang" in its ads.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
One note on the high speed Sony format: both Sony's XQD and the CFexpress are a response to the upper limit being reached on SD cards. Modern camera's are getting faster drive modes, higher FPS 4K shooting, and wider dynamic ranges (especially in RAW). The new physical format is needed for the professional space. One example is the a7S III 4K/120 mode can't be used except on a CFexpress card. The fastest SD cards physically can't transfer enough data.
I hear ya, and you guys are being way more technical then I am > :) But sony does not have a good track record with trying to bring their own formats regardless of the qualities, speeds and so forth. The main issue they have is they try to make the stuff proprietary and its what kills most of their efforts.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
The points you mentioned certainly didn't help Beta, but it was the deal between Matsushita and RCA that sealed the deal. At the time RCA was #1 and Sony/Sharp camp could not compete with RCA & Panasonic camp. I know because I worked at Panasonic at the time and saw it all go down.

Hell yeah. Far more than I care to remember. Yes they were heavy but we also had rear projection in those days and they were far heavier. They did use more power but not 5 times as much and certainly not enough to make anyone choose one over the other. The killer was screen burn which really wasn't an issue but the LCD camp locked onto it and wouldn't let go. But performance is where the plasmas shined. Compared to a plasma the best blacks a LCD TV could produce were gray. And the screen lag was terrible. In both cases marketing and merchandising won out over product quality.
I never liked rear projection even when rear projection was the best :) Hated those tvs. Big ugly squares. And yeah I exaggerate sometimes, plasma was not maybe not 5 times but they were power hungry tvs in comparison. And the Burn in was awful truer blacks didnt matter if your tv was gonna look like an old repurposed pacman machine after a year or so LOL
np9jZ5z.jpg

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I hear ya, and you guys are being way more technical then I am > :) But sony does not have a good track record with trying to bring their own formats regardless of the qualities, speeds and so forth. The main issue they have is they try to make the stuff proprietary and its what kills most of their efforts.
Well there was the most famous TV name of all time.......Trinitron. This is what killed the TV business for American companies. I was in retail at the time and you couldn't give away a RCA, GE, or Zenith. Everyone wanted Sony.

Also let's remember 8MM videotape. Kind of made up for Beta. Kicked VHS's ass for portable use. And lastly Playstation.

I worked for their main competition for a quarter of a century. It was never easy. They were fierce and made great products.

1602710355372.png

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I never liked rear projection even when rear projection was the best :) Hated those tvs. Big ugly squares. And yeah I exaggerate sometimes, plasma was not maybe not 5 times but they were power hungry tvs in comparison. And the Burn in was awful truer blacks didnt matter if your tv was gonna look like an old repurposed pacman machine after a year or so LOL
np9jZ5z.jpg
That's not a plasma screen. It is a really bad CRT. Burn in was only an issue when a static signal was left on a screen for a seriously long amount of time. Also mild burn-in would disappear within a short time. Now pause a video and leave it on for a day or two and you had a problem. Fortunately users rarely got to this point. And by the way LCD's had burn in too.

Isn't this more fun than discussing the Mach-E?

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
That's not a plasma screen. It is a really bad CRT. Burn in was only an issue when a static signal was left on a screen for a seriously long amount of time. Also mild burn-in would disappear within a short time. Now pause a video and leave it on for a day or two and you had a problem. Fortunately users rarely got to this point. And by the way LCD's had burn in too.

Isn't this more fun than discussing the Mach-E?
LOL I know its not a plasma... I was just illustrating. :) same principal. Its kinda like when you look at a Mach-e the image is burned into your retinas like an old pac man game. HUmmm na trashing the MACH-E is more fun LOL

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I miss the Trinitrons. I had a monitor that was maybe 20inches (4:3 ratio), and at least 100 lbs. It was so sharp and bright. Only now have 4K HDR displays begun to match the fidelity of high end CRT's. I feel the same way about LaserDisc. My uncle had Star Wars, and it blew my mind. The detail and clarity were astounding.
Yeah talk about the weight of Plasma's my daughters last CRT TV was a 36" Panasonic. It weighed 220 lbs. My first 42" plasma "only" weight about 110 lbs.

The only TV's I would look at now are 8K OLEDS. I worked for a LG distributor when the first OLED's ones came out and I felt just like i did when I saw my first plasma set. The quality knocked me o my butt.

LaserDisc, another blast from the past. Insane quality, but no one wanted a 12" disc anymore since they were getting ride of their LP's for CD's.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Yeah talk about the weight of Plasma's my daughters last CRT TV was a 36" Panasonic. It weighed 220 lbs. My first 42" plasma "only" weight about 110 lbs.

The only TV's I would look at now are 8K OLEDS. I worked for a LG distributor when the first OLED's ones came out and I felt just like i did when I saw my first plasma set. The quality knocked me o my butt.

LaserDisc, another blast from the past. Insane quality, but no one wanted a 12" disc anymore since they were getting ride of their LP's for CD's.
Ahhh laser discs.... I loved those. they were to movies what flac is to audio.

But 8k TVs? Where are they gonna go after that? From what I have read 8k is at the end of the human visual range. IM sure that wont stop them we will get 16k 32k.... ita gonna be like the 80s all over. 8bit, 16 bit..32bit LOL ah the good old video game bit war...

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
np9jZ5z.jpg
I've had a 70" Panasonic plasma for around 15 years... I even use it as my computer monitor and it still doesn't have burn in to this day...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
8K is pointless. To have the same pixel density of a 65" 4K, the 8K would need to be 200". At that point the yields on the motherglass are terrible. That's why TV's over 80" rapidly climb into the 5-figure price range. They have to justify not selling twenty plus smaller screens with higher margins. You're much better off looking into short throw laser projecters.

https://www.pcgamer.com/samsungs-4k-triple-laser-projector-looks-amazing/
Your just to cheap to step up to the best.

OLED88ZXPUA
LG SIGNATURE ZX 88 inch Class 8K Smart OLED TV w/AI ThinQ® (87.6'' Diag)
$29,999.99

Your right of course, I was thinking 8K so that's what I typed. I meant 4K. At least for the foreseeable future.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Damn....in sane for a TV. As my eyes get older I think my needed TV viewing quality can decrease too? If it's fuzzy no matter what, why do I need all those K's and LCD's?

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Also, when you see a movie on a super 6000K better than real life TV, you lose the movie magic. I use the movie Faster as my example because it was the first one I noticed this with. Saw it low quality and was great, saw it on some new fancy TV and it looked like a made for TV B movie. Maybe it requires some adjusting? I'm obviously not into TV lol. Totally have a computer monitor that shows game graphics almost better than my eyes can see though. Is this TV thing I'm experiencing part of getting old?

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
As far as SUV's this ballgame started a long time ago. My wife's first was a 98' Explorer. She currently has a Escape and we may look at the Mach-E. The market took a long time to turn to them. Will we ever go back to sedans? Who knows. 2 door coupes? Highly unlikely. The Mach-E is the 4 door sedan for the 21st century.
Sedans are my favorite body style of vehicle, followed by coupes and hatchbacks. If they ever make a truly appealing sport utility sedan (the Subaru Legacy/Outback technically did this a while ago) that can be both practical/utilitarian and fun to drive slow or fast, they'll potentially have my attention. Either way, TLDR for me cars will always be more engaging and enjoyable to drive than SUVs, vans, or trucks. (Someday though...will a family van tailored for the driving enthusiast ever be made for the American market into a mainstream success?)

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Well after a 45 year career in sales and marketing I can tell you that to a degree you are both right, and wrong.

Examples, Beta vs. VHS video tapes. Beta was always better but lost to the marketing of the VHS camp. The consumer just wanted a compact videotape. They got what was pushed on them.

Plasma TV vs. LCD. Easy one, Plasma was significantly better, always was. Only todays OLED sets are actually better. So how did LCD win? Marketing. Screen frozen imaging. Sunk the plasma market.

Now marketing in reverse. VHS recorders in color. The factory pushed them on us. Marketing said consumers didn't want them. They were right. We took a bath closing them out.

As far as SUV's this ballgame started a long time ago. My wife's first was a 98' Explorer. She currently has a Escape and we may look at the Mach-E. The market took a long time to turn to them. Will we ever go back to sedans? Who knows. 2 door coupes? Highly unlikely. The Mach-E is the 4 door sedan for the 21st century.
But in that last scenario, marketing didn't fail. It sounds like a different department had an agenda and failed miserably. In either case, let me get back to you in two years once I get my MBA degree. Not to scoff at you, but there's probably something I need to learn that I am just not understanding right now.

But anyways, it's sad to see this muscle car die. I'm just glad I had the opportunity to be apart of that period.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Actually my bigger problem with the whole thing is they all look the same. its like one designer works for all the car companies. Different headlights and tail lights but basically everyone's suvs are all looking exactly the same. no creativity. here are just a few examples there are plenty more. Mach-e looks just like the rest of them...
Screenshot_1.jpg
Screenshot_2.jpg
Screenshot_23.jpg
Screenshot_25.jpg
It looks more like a Mazda. Especially in the red.
Sponsored