Sponsored

Ford GT350 vs BMW M2

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 bmw m3
"so i'm looking at the Mustang GTPP. bigger back seats!"

That's not a comment one hears every day. I agree about the performance of the BMWs, but I still am not happy with their high prices/unreliability/cost of repairs.
I've had great reliability with the BMWs I've owned, but habe admittedly never owned one (or any car) for more than a couple years.

The back seats in the Mustang seem very spacious compared to the 2 series.... that's not saying much though haha
Sponsored

Boss Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C43C
From a daily driving perspective I am finding the m2 to be pretty damn interesting.

Comp Orange GT350
or
MG DCT M2

?????????

OP
OP
w3rkn

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
They are also reportedly going to release a M2 CSL which will be much more die-hard and lightweight. Add some R comp tires to that and you'll have yourself an amazing German track machine.

But you can ALREADY get that here in America... Buy a German high revving v8 FPC.. for $51,ooo in the Mustang GT350.

What exactly is "light weight"..?

I own lightweight & same engine. How is this M2 going to become a quintessential track star? Without options.. what does it deliver?

Oh... add another $20k to the price in CSL form..? :lol:

OK.. but look at the competition.

I bought my car in anticipation of the M2 being my next weekender. I wanted to learn the engine and the characteristics. That "feel" is really... really missing. Even with the best exhaust note BMW has ever made.

But for the money, I would rather have a GT350.

I see this new M2, being what the M235i should have been. Anyone can dial in a better suspension that stock BMW. If there has been no engine work and all those bits & pieces are just marketing and not advance in engine responses, and sharpness. Then who cares?

Heck.. Ford is offering two cars to compete on the track with the M2.

One of them is German made, the RS.
It will have 350ft-lbs of punch threw AWD. And is lighter than the BMW M2. Additionally, we already know you can dial up the 2.3 to have reliable 425ft-lbs of thrust. The price difference between the RS and M2 means you can buy tires every spring and fall. And a new helmet.

The other competitor to the 2017 M2 will be Ford Performance Racing's v6 twin turbo (variable vane), Mustang. Producing 450ft-lbs of thrust just off idle.. in a GT350 lightweight package, with MR and CF wheels, etc. Again, BMW has to compete with a 2.9 liter high revving v6, in a bi-turbo configuration in a Mustang with lightweight stuff, for the track... for $50k.

The CSL... the CSL... the CSL is coming.. ? Lately.. from BMW it has all been lip service & ATM.
In the mean time 10 years have past since the tossible, trackable E46 M3, or CSL. The CSL is a 2019 product, why bother tooting BMW's horn, when the M2 has not been vetted?

I hope the M2 is a hit, but there is a lot of stiff competition. It depends on how it feels in my hands, to know for sure.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
But you can ALREADY get that here in America... Buy a German high revving v8 FPC.. for $51,ooo in the Mustang GT350.
LOL a lot of what you're saying makes no sense. "GT350 lightweight package." The GT350 is not a lightweight car by any measure. It weighs a solid 3800lbs in non-R form so it's over 300lbs heavier than an M2.

Also, are you suggesting that your 135is is an indication of how the M2 will be?
Sorry buddy, you have a nice car but it is no M. It's missing the LSD, M suspension components, a subframe bolted directly to the body, extra cooling, body enhancements etc. I can go on and on. Also, not sure why you're saying the N55 has the best exhaust BMW ever made because that is a complete joke. S65, S85, S62, S54 all sound better than an N55.

OP
OP
w3rkn

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
LOL a lot of what you're saying makes no sense. "GT350 lightweight package." The GT350 is not a lightweight car by any measure. It weighs a solid 3800lbs in non-R form so it's over 300lbs heavier than an M2.

Also, are you suggesting that your 135is is an indication of how the M2 will be?
Sorry buddy, you have a nice car but it is no M. It's missing the LSD, M suspension components, a subframe bolted directly to the body, extra cooling, body enhancements etc. I can go on and on. Also, not sure why you're saying the N55 has the best exhaust BMW ever made because that is a complete joke. S65, S85, S62, S54 all sound better than an N55.
Not sure what you are on about. Check the GT350R weight again.

And no, if you do not understand the 135is/M235i connection to the M2's DNA.. then you are hopeless.

Secondly, I mention my car, because it has nearly the exact same tune as the M2 w/369tq overboost, etc. It comes stock with PPK2 and the very best sounding turbo exhaust BMW has made. If u have never heard one, u can't remark. And that was only a side point to saying the M2's engine better "feel" right.. and not just emotional trumpets.

And yes, the M2 is nearly 180lbs heavier than the 1-series. Was just making a point of how pure hydraulic steering and lighter means my car is close to an M2.. and obviously so is the 1M.

What more does the M2 give for $51k, than the GT350, or SV0 won't.

BMW is not what it once was.. U seem angry and threatened by that revelation.

I think the RS will offer more car in America. A new turbo stang will destroy it on the track. And that is what the M2 is..

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
A cool video..

[ame]

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My issue with the Mustang in general, not just the 350 is how big the car has gotten. So much overhang on these cars. Yes the Mustang is low and wide but they are also very long and it felt like a big car when I did my test drive with the 2015 GT PP. This is what is so neat about the M2, its such a nice compact package. I don't think the car compares well at all with the GT350. I also don't feel the Focus RS (which I absolutely love) will be much of a competitor to the M2. A AWD car to a RWD car. YMMV.

Dave

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Not sure what you are on about. Check the GT350R weight again.

And no, if you do not understand the 135is/M235i connection to the M2's DNA.. then you are hopeless.

Secondly, I mention my car, because it has nearly the exact same tune as the M2 w/369tq overboost, etc. It comes stock with PPK2 and the very best sounding turbo exhaust BMW has made. If u have never heard one, u can't remark. And that was only a side point to saying the M2's engine better "feel" right.. and not just emotional trumpets.

And yes, the M2 is nearly 180lbs heavier than the 1-series. Was just making a point of how pure hydraulic steering and lighter means my car is close to an M2.. and obviously so is the 1M.

What more does the M2 give for $51k, than the GT350, or SV0 won't.

BMW is not what it once was.. U seem angry and threatened by that revelation.

I think the RS will offer more car in America. A new turbo stang will destroy it on the track. And that is what the M2 is..
First of all, you said GT350 in your other post, not GT350R. An R is over $10k more than an M2..... regular 350 is a better comparison

Also, you don't seem to realize that the 1-series and 2-series ride on a completely different chassis. They are a different generation of car. You saying your 135is is like the M2 is like me saying my e92 335i will be like the new M4...:lol: Your car shares nothing with an M235i except for the engine. It shares even less with the M2...

And nah man, not angry at anything. Most likely buying a GT350 over an M4 :thumbsup:

OP
OP
w3rkn

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I was responding to the M2 CSL comment.. how much do you think a BMW M2 CSL is going to cost..? (Compared to a GT350R..)

Coincidentally, you do not seem to realize a N55 is a N55... or seemingly what PPK2 is? Not to mention, you also do not realize that the M2 is based off an M235i...? How do you miss that..? You seem to be dismissing the path and DNA between the 1M and the M2..!

Why are you going so far and stretching yourself, to make a non-point..?

Subsequently, the 135is is to the 1M, what the M235i is to the M2. If you do not understand this, then you are a mouthpiece. Further more, if you do not understand the importance of the 1M, to the M2... then you are even more of a thread crasher.

The 2-series brought longer wheelbase and wider stance, & although substantial, that is ALL it brought. Along with 170lbs. Everything else is not quintessential and can be purchased off the shelves.

The M2 on paper is the best BMW in 10 years... but for $51k it looses ground to it's competitors. The M235 is overpriced for what you get.. so was my car. Do you see the seats in the M2..? Horrid.

BMW has to deal with the market.

The M2 is not that good of an offering, that is why there is talk of a + $20K version called the CSL. So die-hard Bimmerboiz can pretend their part of the halo.

The M2 doesn't even loose weight... it just happens to be the right size. The M4 is too big, the GT350 wins out every time against the M4, if you are going to go that big.

Honestly, I don't see how the M2 will beat an RS...

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New M2 video..

[ame]

Sponsored

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
My issue with the Mustang in general, not just the 350 is how big the car has gotten. So much overhang on these cars. Yes the Mustang is low and wide but they are also very long and it felt like a big car when I did my test drive with the 2015 GT PP. This is what is so neat about the M2, its such a nice compact package. I don't think the car compares well at all with the GT350. I also don't feel the Focus RS (which I absolutely love) will be much of a competitor to the M2. A AWD car to a RWD car. YMMV.

Dave
Agree with everything here. The GT350 will whip the M2 on a track. But if you want a RWD car that is substantially smaller in all dimensions and extremely track capable, the M2 is going to be a good one.

I went through the similar comparison with the M235i and Mustang GT PP. Loved the looks and power of the Mustang, but the smaller size of the 2 series makes it much easier to drive and park on the street.

Both M2 and GT350 would make awesome dual-purpose street and track cars. The GT350 has significantly higher performance levels at the limit. Based on my experience with the M235i, the M2 should be much more nimble and agile in everyday street driving. Both cars would put a smile on any enthusiast's face.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree with everything here. The GT350 will whip the M2 on a track. But if you want a RWD car that is substantially smaller in all dimensions and extremely track capable, the M2 is going to be a good one.

I went through the similar comparison with the M235i and Mustang GT PP. Loved the looks and power of the Mustang, but the smaller size of the 2 series makes it much easier to drive and park on the street.

Both M2 and GT350 would make awesome dual-purpose street and track cars. The GT350 has significantly higher performance levels at the limit. Based on my experience with the M235i, the M2 should be much more nimble and agile in everyday street driving. Both cars would put a smile on any enthusiast's face.
Im glad you are enjoying your M235i. Cool little cars...

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)