Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Ford GT Specs Finally Released

From Ford Performance

DEARBORN ā€“ Delivering the highest output of any EcoBoostĀ® production engine to date, the all-new Ford GT couples its extraordinary power with impressive aerodynamic efficiency and advanced active dynamics to achieve a maximum speed of 216 mph ā€“ making it the fastest Ford production vehicle on the track ever.

Capable of an exceptional top speed, Fordā€™s all-new supercar is designed and optimized for track performance to honor its racing heritage. In 2016 development testing, with all contenders track-prepped with new fluids, fresh tires and optimal suspension settings, in identical conditions and with the same driver behind the wheel, Ford GT bested both the McLaren 675LT and Ferrari 458 Speciale at Calabogie Motorsports Park in Canada.The numbers speak for themselves:

Ford GT: 2:09.8

McLaren 675LT: 2:10.8

Ferrari 458 Speciale: 2:12.9

SAE-rated at 647 horsepower and with 550 lb.-ft. of torque, Fordā€™s new high-output 3.5-liter V6 powerplant produces the most horsepower of any EcoBoost production engine ever, making Ford GT the fastest production car ever to wear the Blue Oval badge. The engineā€™s wide powerband produces 90 percent of its peak torque from 3,500 rpm.

ā€œOur expectation has always been that the EcoBoost V6 would perform exceptionally well in the Ford GT ā€“ both in terms of power as well as aerodynamic efficiency,ā€ said Dave Pericak, global director, Ford Performance. ā€œWe tested and developed this powertrain through the Daytona Prototype race car that ran in IMSA for two seasons, last season racing with Ford GT. We are extremely pleased with how it performs, both on the track and on the road.ā€

Ford GTā€™s dry weight just tops 3,000 pounds, which places the supercar between its two primary competitors, the McLaren 675LT and Ferrari 488. Ford GTā€™s power-to-weight ratio is 4.72 pounds/horsepower.

ā€œThe Ford GT is all about performance,ā€ said Raj Nair, Ford executive vice president, global product development and chief technical officer. ā€œWe achieved considerable weight savings with the carbon fiber architecture. We then reinvested some of that savings into where it counts most ā€“ performance, specifically, the active dynamics. The result is an even faster car.ā€

The active dynamics systems ā€“ for both suspension and aerodynamics ā€“ are designed to make the car perform with optimum downforce, drag and balance at any speed, creating a faster setup regardless of driver skill level.

Ford GT, with no excuses to give, has proven itself time and again, racing to class wins at Le Mans and numerous other tracks in both IMSA and WEC last season. The production Ford GT shares a great deal with the high-performance track version, with advanced aero and suspension features added that take it to another level.

For more information on Ford GT, please visit www.fordgt.com.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I was really sold on getting one of these but the 0.4 cu-ft of cargo space is a deal breaker for me. :lol:

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Anyone else disappointed by the numbers, particularly the curb weight? They touted as it having "the best power/weight ratio of any car on the road"... I really expected it to be 2800-2900lbs wet weight, with closer to 700hp.

Just doesn't make sense to me, to create such a hype (even if it did win LeMans), charge so much, when it is really only in the same ballpark as a 675/488. American made cars have always had a "bang for your buck" angle worked into them, but you can buy a 488 that is probably nearly as fast on track and faster in a straight line, for a lot less money... makes no sense to me.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on it, but I was expecting hypercar performance, aka P1/918/LaFerarri performance out of the new GT based on their claims and hype. I honestly don't know if it'll even take away some of the laptimes from the Viper ACR... and then they test it on some relatively unknown track up here in Canada lol guess the Nurburgring or Laguna Seca or VIR or Chuckwalla or any number of other tracks that people can instantly recognize weren't available :shrug:

PS. Anyone see the EPA fuel ratings? 11 city/ 18 highway LOL so much for being efficient... Honestly can't grasp how a turbo vehicle that is that light can suck down so much fuel. But at least it sounds decent for a V6 :lol:

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I'm even more suprised at the poor fuel economy. Final drive is a 3.66:1 and 7th gear OD is 0.634. 5th is as close as it gets to 1:1. Very odd. My GT500 with 725hp weighing just shy of 3,900 lbs would get 22-23mpg long highway drives.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Anyone else disappointed by the numbers, particularly the curb weight? They touted as it having "the best power/weight ratio of any car on the road"... I really expected it to be 2800-2900lbs wet weight, with closer to 700hp.

Just doesn't make sense to me, to create such a hype (even if it did win LeMans), charge so much, when it is really only in the same ballpark as a 675/488. American made cars have always had a "bang for your buck" angle worked into them, but you can buy a 488 that is probably nearly as fast on track and faster in a straight line, for a lot less money... makes no sense to me.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on it, but I was expecting hypercar performance, aka P1/918/LaFerarri performance out of the new GT based on their claims and hype. I honestly don't know if it'll even take away some of the laptimes from the Viper ACR... and then they test it on some relatively unknown track up here in Canada lol guess the Nurburgring or Laguna Seca or VIR or Chuckwalla or any number of other tracks that people can instantly recognize weren't available :shrug:

PS. Anyone see the EPA fuel ratings? 11 city/ 18 highway LOL so much for being efficient... Honestly can't grasp how a turbo vehicle that is that light can suck down so much fuel. But at least it sounds decent for a V6 :lol:

I'm not really surprised, the halo cars you describe are all 1MM some even pushing close to 2. At the end of the day Ford built this car the same way they built the original to compete at LeMans which they did. If you look at LeMans there was no P1/LaFerrari/918 counterpart.

Stat sheet comparo's i can see why some might be disappointed but i'm holding out to hear about the in car test drives and reviews. The active Aero and the on the fly suspension adjustments sound crazy. I think Raj said the car can change ride height by 2" between track and street mode, thats amazing. It could really be a supercar to enjoy on and off the track.

On the EPA side, i was surprised there as well, not what i was expecting. It would never stop me from buying the car (if i could afford it) but i was more surprised from a marketing perspective. Ford has branded ecoboost as a power and efficiency brand, this halo car seems to only checks one box.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I think they did over hype it a bit, but IMO the numbers are still pretty damn impressive. Let's not forget this is a Ford, the fact it got built is impressive to me. And no matter what, it is one damn sexy machine.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sometimes I feel like you spend your days actively planning and coming up with obtuse, asinine things to say.

To imply that there's really nothing different between the TTV6 in the GT and Raptor and "any other V6 shit box on the road" just indicates you're either utterly ignorant (and happily so) or an obnoxious troll.
OK. Thanks for the insults. :D

Maybe asinine is appropriate, but I disagree with obtuse. I do make strong statements sometimes, but they come from passion for cars... and especially passion for great engines. I think on a car forum I can be excused for that.

You like V6 cars; I don't. Maybe you spend your time on the road flaunting the law and driving 10/10ths in your 2011 Dodge Avenger (assuming you got the big V6 in it). Or maybe you are deaf or play the radio loud all the time. :cheers: Great. I don't.

If I'm spending a bunch of money on a performance vehicle, no way am I buying something with a 6 cylinder that sounds like garbage every time I step on it. At least not a straight or V6. I would grant an exception for the flat sixes that Porsche makes. Some of those are really great. I would still rather have a V8 or V12, but I can't deny that Porsche makes a great engine.

I'm not really surprised, the halo cars you describe are all 1MM some even pushing close to 2. At the end of the day Ford built this car the same way they built the original to compete at LeMans which they did. If you look at LeMans there was no P1/LaFerrari/918 counterpart.

Stat sheet comparo's i can see why some might be disappointed but i'm holding out to hear about the in car test drives and reviews. The active Aero and the on the fly suspension adjustments sound crazy. I think Raj said the car can change ride height by 2" between track and street mode, thats amazing. It could really be a supercar to enjoy on and off the track.
I would love to see the GT versus the 918 and LaFerrari on a track. I bet they aren't that far apart.

I'm interested to hear more about the driving experience as well.

Sponsored

azsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Raptor
Ok
I have to chime in here on the incorrect quoting of Ford. They NEVER said it would be the best power to weight ratios of a production vehicle. The said it would be one of the best power to weight ratios of any production vehicle on the market which it is. I've seen on multiple sites people cut that quote short by saying "the best power to weight ration of any production vehicle".
Here is the original statement
The GT will exhibit one of the best power-to-weight ratios of any production car
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/detroit-motor-show/meet-brand-new-ford-gt

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)

On the EPA side, i was surprised there as well, not what i was expecting. It would never stop me from buying the car (if i could afford it) but i was more surprised from a marketing perspective. Ford has branded ecoboost as a power and efficiency brand, this halo car seems to only checks one box.
I agree that the comparison between the hypercars and the GT may be extreme, but that is what I hoped for/expected based on the outrageous claims they made. When they said "we're chasing the best power/weight of any vehicle on the road", but claimed it only made "over 600hp", I was honestly initially expecting the GT to weight in the mid 2400-2600lb range in order to even come within reach of their claims. They made it seem like it was going to blow everyone's minds, but when it comes to the raw data, it just doesn't.

Then you take the repeated point that was driven home about lightweight materials, and how extremely lightweight the car is.... it is missing large portions of the back half of the car (buttresses) yet a 675LT is still lighter than it. Coming in at 3054lbs DRY is a fail IMO, considering it will weight near 3300 lbs once it is road ready.

If it was priced at 250K with these specs, I think I could understand it, but when you have offerings from exotic car makers like McLaren and Ferrari and Lamborghini that have cars that can very much so compete with the GT, while offering the exotic car brand experience and lets face it, MUCH more desirable engine options, the asking price of the GT is absurd. It is nowhere near as "ground breaking" as they would have lead us to believe. Rather it seems to be simply competitive in today's market in regards to performance.

I would take a 675LT/488 GTB/Aventador 750-SV any day of the week over the GT based on its specs if I had the money. At the end of the day, the performance numbers don't seem to justify the price, the brand logo doesn't justify the price, so what you are left with is basically Ford charging a ludicrous amount based on the history of the "Ford GT" knowing that they will get people to pay what they are asking.

I know that the performance isn't everything, that the driving experience plays a big role as well, but when something is touted consistently from a performance standpoint, I expect them to excel and over-achieve in that regard. I also believe that the cars I listed above would offer a more exciting driving experience, largely based on the types of engines they offer, which are simply more thrilling/exciting.

I think they did over hype it a bit, but IMO the numbers are still pretty damn impressive. Let's not forget this is a Ford, the fact it got built is impressive to me. And no matter what, it is one damn sexy machine.
Definitely is a gorgeous car, no one can take that away from it. I just expected it to be 300-500lbs lighter than it is (road-ready weight) and also have closer to 700 hp with over 600 torque.

Over-hyped is putting it mildly.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Ok
I have to chime in here on the incorrect quoting of Ford. They NEVER said it would be the best power to weight ratios of a production vehicle. The said it would be one of the best power to weight ratios of any production vehicle on the market which it is. I've seen on multiple sites people cut that quote short by saying "the best power to weight ration of any production vehicle".
Here is the original statement

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/detroit-motor-show/meet-brand-new-ford-gt
Thanks for the link, but Jamal Hameedi was quoted as stating the team was targeting "the best power to weight ratio of any vehicle on the market".

Even if you consider your statement, there are a lot of other cars out there that are faster and have better p/w ratios. It is still a misleading statement by Ford regardless, and wasn't an accurate portrayal of the vehicle's performance attributes.

azsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Raptor
I never heard or saw the interview with Mr. Hameedi, but I do know that was the official Ford statement I linked, and saw back in 2015 (the top gear link was the first one I saw on a search this morning that showed the entire quote) when the car was announce. I always predicted it would be close, but not the best, and "targeting" isn't saying they WILL be the best. Sure a lot of other cars have better p/w and are faster, but they are up near the million dollar mark or higher. Only a handful of cars, if that will be a faster car than the GT in it's relative price point.

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
I agree that the comparison between the hypercars and the GT may be extreme, but that is what I hoped for/expected based on the outrageous claims they made. When they said "we're chasing the best power/weight of any vehicle on the road", but claimed it only made "over 600hp", I was honestly initially expecting the GT to weight in the mid 2400-2600lb range in order to even come within reach of their claims. They made it seem like it was going to blow everyone's minds, but when it comes to the raw data, it just doesn't.

Then you take the repeated point that was driven home about lightweight materials, and how extremely lightweight the car is.... it is missing large portions of the back half of the car (buttresses) yet a 675LT is still lighter than it. Coming in at 3054lbs DRY is a fail IMO, considering it will weight near 3300 lbs once it is road ready.

If it was priced at 250K with these specs, I think I could understand it, but when you have offerings from exotic car makers like McLaren and Ferrari and Lamborghini that have cars that can very much so compete with the GT, while offering the exotic car brand experience and lets face it, MUCH more desirable engine options, the asking price of the GT is absurd. It is nowhere near as "ground breaking" as they would have lead us to believe. Rather it seems to be simply competitive in today's market in regards to performance.

I would take a 675LT/488 GTB/Aventador 750-SV any day of the week over the GT based on its specs if I had the money. At the end of the day, the performance numbers don't seem to justify the price, the brand logo doesn't justify the price, so what you are left with is basically Ford charging a ludicrous amount based on the history of the "Ford GT" knowing that they will get people to pay what they are asking.

I know that the performance isn't everything, that the driving experience plays a big role as well, but when something is touted consistently from a performance standpoint, I expect them to excel and over-achieve in that regard. I also believe that the cars I listed above would offer a more exciting driving experience, largely based on the types of engines they offer, which are simply more thrilling/exciting.

Definitely is a gorgeous car, no one can take that away from it. I just expected it to be 300-500lbs lighter than it is (road-ready weight) and also have closer to 700 hp with over 600 torque.

Over-hyped is putting it mildly.
i agree,there was no reason not to have over 700hp,and really make a big statement.:tsk::rant:
Sponsored