MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Seriously thinking about one to replace our 4Runner. Seems like a terrific mix of road manners, sporty-ness, performance and really nice features.

Years ago we had a BMW 4.4i, sport package, I really dug on it. The T4R is clearly more capable offroad, but we're pretty light in that usage (mostly some beach where cars like Subaru wagons have no issues).

We had one rented for about a week, it was a Limited so it had chrome and finishing details I wasn't a fan of, but the Sport model seems to resolve all those (black/red stitched interior, blacked out exterior trim).

The V6 TT seems pretty fantastic, good mix of performance and MPG, I know it's also easily tuned, though I'd keep it stock for maximum family dependability.

The '17s have Sync 3 like my '16 GT which I really like, but without any other significant changes, a leftover '16 might be a good deal. In fact, we'd probably just lease, as I like keeping the family ride refresh and under warranty.

Thoughts? Experience?

:cheers:
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a good amount of time in them and it would be my choice if I needed a larger SUV. That said, I'd probably get a lightly used one to chop the initial depreciation hit off the price tag.

bumada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
I've been comparing 4runners to Explorers lately. The biggest thing for me is how well 4runners hold their value. Compare the price of some older models, and it's a huge difference.

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
The sport is an awesome vehicle. I'm still confused why Ford went backwards on the headlights and no longer offer the HID Projector anymore though. Other than that it's a solid vehicle.

Similarly priced, the Grand Cherokee High Altitude offers a lot more though IMO.

No experience besides seeing a few on the road, when I was at the dealership yesterday they had a Sport in the showroom and it was gorgeous, but for $50,000?!?! Geeze.
Sticker may have been 50k, but at a good dealer you can easily get up to 7k+ off with rebates, invoice pricing etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The sport is an awesome vehicle. I'm still confused why Ford went backwards on the headlights and no longer offer the HID Projector anymore though. Other than that it's a solid vehicle.

Similarly priced, the Grand Cherokee High Altitude offers a lot more though IMO.

Sticker may have been 50k, but at a good dealer you can easily get up to 7k+ off with rebates, invoice pricing etc.
So the '16 do have HID and the 17's lost them?

I did check out the Grand Cherokee HA, nice package, the Explorer seems a little "sportier" vs. the Jeep being a little more "off-road-ier".

Hmm, with 0% financing currently being offered, those couple of 2016 Explorer Sports left over at the local Ford dealer are looking pretty good.

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Gen II 3.5 TT EB is also coming to the EXSport.

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
So the '16 do have HID and the 17's lost them?
So, I'm not sure if they offer "HID" lights, but I'm 90% positive there hasn't been a model of the latest gen Explorer to offer HID Projector Headlights. The previous Gen however, did.

2016MADFordExplorer-01.jpg

2015-ford-explorer-A.jpg

I did check out the Grand Cherokee HA, nice package, the Explorer seems a little "sportier" vs. the Jeep being a little more "off-road-ier".
This is exactly how I would put it. :thumbsup:

BigEasyGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Ford got rid of HID and are making the switch to LED headlights, like in the new F-150.

From ford's site (on the base model explorer):

Exterior Features
Black exterior door handles
Black lower front and rear bumpers, wheellip moldings and bodyside cladding
Body-color liftgate spoiler
Dual Chrome Exhaust Tips
Grille, Dark Foundry Gray with chrome bars
Headlamps – Autolamp Auto On/Off, LED Low Beams, Halogen Reflector High Beams
LED taillamps
Automatic LED Low-Beam Headlamps
Liftgate Appliqué - bright
Mirrors - Black (MIC), power electric remote, manual folding with integrated blind spot mirrors (integrated blind spot mirrors not included when equipped with BLIS)
Roof rack side rails, black with black end caps
Acoustic-laminate windshield glass
Privacy Glass, Second and Third Rows
Solar tinted front door and windshield glass

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
Ford got rid of HID and are making the switch to LED headlights, like in the new F-150.

From ford's site (on the base model explorer):

Exterior Features
Black exterior door handles
Black lower front and rear bumpers, wheellip moldings and bodyside cladding
Body-color liftgate spoiler
Dual Chrome Exhaust Tips
Grille, Dark Foundry Gray with chrome bars
Headlamps – Autolamp Auto On/Off, LED Low Beams, Halogen Reflector High Beams
LED taillamps
Automatic LED Low-Beam Headlamps
Liftgate Appliqué - bright
Mirrors - Black (MIC), power electric remote, manual folding with integrated blind spot mirrors (integrated blind spot mirrors not included when equipped with BLIS)
Roof rack side rails, black with black end caps
Acoustic-laminate windshield glass
Privacy Glass, Second and Third Rows
Solar tinted front door and windshield glass
Makes sense. However, IMO HID or LED Projector Housings will always trump traditional reflective ones with a LED bulb or not. Wish they would have kept it. Is it a deal breaker? Not really, but just one of those things..

Sponsored

BadGTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Auto, 1400HP GTR

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
We have a '14 ExSport and love it. Two kids (13 & 15) so the 2nd row captains chairs were a must. Lots of cargo room, plenty of pep (and several companies doing tunes for them as well). Great road trip car, we did 3000 miles at the end of June - Des Moines to Yellowstone and back in comfort. We have had literally 0 issues, only time its been in the shop is for oil changes and the time I hit a chunk of re-bar and bent a rim. 50k miles in 3yrs and still going strong. :ford:

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
We have a 2014 Ex Sport. It is my wife's. Bought it because of how much we loved my 2013 SHO.

Have done several (4) - 2,500 round trip road trips and countless 700 mile weekends. The Ex Sport is the perfect family hauler. Even with a hard plastic roof top carrier, it gets 20-21 mpg @ 70mph. when you get above 75mph, it will quickly drop down into the 17-18 mpg because you are getting into the boost. This SUV rides like a dream at speeds up into the triple digits is you are so inclined.

Handles 10 inches of snow with zero problems on the stock all season tires.

We just hit 50,xxx miles and I am due for brakes.

Had a bit of a gremlin in the wiper system that took 5 trips to the dealer to resolve, but have had no problems since (12 months).

You can do a bunch of things to the car to make it "faster", but since it is my wifes, I have just left it alone. it is a great car for 4 and occasionally 7 people.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
We have a '16 Ex Sport and really like it. It gets decent mileage compared to the 2002 Expedition we traded in and it has impressive acceleration. It's great for traveling and around town.

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Thanks everyone! Based on this feedback, it's way ahead as my #1 option for the next family ride.
Sponsored