Sponsored

Seriousy Ford Service cant even tighten an oil filter....

Chris796

Ford CFO
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost
Took my car in about two and a half weeks ago for its very first service, today I had a co-worker tell me he thinks my car has been dripping oil in the parking lot. About 2 blocks from home the oil pressure light comes on and I hear a slight ticking. Parked and looked under the car and it looks like oil is leaking out for sure, checked the dipstick and I am under the lowest dot. Jacked it up and sure enough oil is leaking from the oil filter, spun it to see if it was tight and, well, see for yourself...

(Edit: Removed video)

Called Berge Ford where it was serviced (and bought) and explained what was going on and they told me to call Ford Roadside to have the car towed in so they could look at it.

Why didn't an oil light come on sooner? Not sure how low the oil level has to get for a light on the dash to come on but it would've been nice to know I was low. I drive the crap out of my car so I'm hoping no damage was done, poor thing only just turned 5,000 miles....
Sponsored

Last edited:

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Yikes, that's a pretty blatant example of not checking your work. I imagine the tech was interrupted while he was doing the change and forgot where he was in the service. That's why you always check your work.

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
That's weird. It looks like they put a wrench on it to tighten it too. Very strange that it would be loose like that. Hope it ends up well for you! It sounds like the dealer is trying to stand up and do the right thing so far.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
The Lesson learned here, don't take your car to a dealer unless absolutely necessary.

DeLorean17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
We had this happen on our 2013 V6. Ever since then, we always check cars after having dealer services.

We shouldn't have to, but we don't want serious damage that the dealer can claim they weren't at fault for, because like OP of the thread, we didn't notice for a few weeks, only after an oil spot appeared in the driveway where it was parked. With the air dams on these cars, there's room for the oil to pool instead of just dripping.

It's one of the things that I have been paranoid about with this new car, so far the dealer has done my oil changes, but the free ones my dealer gave have run out, so at least after this, I'll be doing them myself on this car.

If something goes wrong, (I've changed the oil myself on every car I've ever owned before this, so probably not) I know who to blame.

Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Try to do the service yourself, and if you're not able to or don't have the time then bring it to a TRUSTED shop. The only reason why I'd bring it into the dealer is for warranty work and even then I would weight my options to see if it's even worth fixing the issue with the possibility of other new "dealer" installed issues.

Fredboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Camaro Super Sport
Why didn't an oil light come on? No sure how low the oil level has to get for a light on the dash to come on but it would've been nice to know I was low.
It's a low oil pressure light, not an low oil level light.

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Ford really has to clean up their act, the same thing happens on the assembly line, hence body panels unaligned, etc.

I guess we have to go behind them before we leave the dealership. . .unbelievable.

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
That's weird. It looks like they put a wrench on it to tighten it too. Very strange that it would be loose like that. Hope it ends up well for you! It sounds like the dealer is trying to stand up and do the right thing so far.
I'm sure somebody interrupted the tech and he came back not knowing where he was in the service. It's not uncommon but if you don't go back and check your work this will happen.

The Lesson learned here, don't take your car to a dealer unless absolutely necessary.
Especially oil service, but lately I've been getting push back from Autozone claiming their used oil drum is full. So I have to go back over and over again.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I had a free oil change so I let the dealer do the first oil change. I had some issues with them scratching my car by dragging the dirty, grit coated bulk oil line across the front of my car. Anyway, I already had a rant about that so back to this post. When I changed the oil 5k miles later the filter spun off by hand, I'm still amazed it wasn't leaking. Bottom line, do it yourself if you have the ability and the place to do it even if the dealer offers the service for free. "DIY tip, for GT PP" I use a paper plate and fold it and wedge it behind the filter to act as a funnel to keep oil from running all over the place.:thumbsup:

Sponsored

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
And this is why I do my own oil changes on my GT350. Due to the nature of the flat-plane crank (vibrations), the oil filter has to be torqued to 18ft/lbs, "hand tight" just won't cut it.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
have to remember to that the lowest ranked monkey/FNG is the one doing oil changes, very unlikely some ASE/experienced Mech is doing oil changes. Nonetheless lots of stories like this. I do my own shit, I have that luxury and many don't but this is why.

Also, every time you get an oil change, check the level every other day or 2-3 times in a week, just to make sure.

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
have to remember to that the lowest ranked monkey/FNG is the one doing oil changes, very unlikely some ASE/experienced Mech is doing oil changes. Nonetheless lots of stories like this. I do my own shit, I have that luxury and many don't but this is why.

Also, every time you get an oil change, check the level every other day or 2-3 times in a week, just to make sure.
Once upon a time I was that grunt that did oil changes and a tech 2 came behind me and checked the fill, fill cap, filter torque, drain plug torque and buttoned up any access panels. Then signed the checklist, gave it back to me and said from now on you do what I just did and sign your name on the checklist. You get to fck up exactly zero oil changes so check it everytime like it's your first time.

or at least that's how they did it in 1986

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Especially oil service, but lately I've been getting push back from Autozone claiming their used oil drum is full. So I have to go back over and over again.
Do what I do, leave your old-oil-filled jugs in front of the Autozone door at night. Then you don't have to wait 5 hours for the usual no-nothing scrub to pay attention to you when you go there. Or just walk in, walk to the back, drop the jugs off, and leave. I have done that numerous times and NOBODY takes mind of me walking to the back. It's hilarious...
Sponsored