Sponsored

Ford Ditching Cars For SUV's Has Cost Them Loyal Customers

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I look at that picture of the blue Focus and see a 2028 Mustang.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I look at that picture of the blue Focus and see a 2028 Mustang.

Good to know, my 2 door coupe just doubled in value. ..

Pep

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
I imagine Ford took this very thing into consideration before they took
this step.
They've been in business a long time.
Besides, car manufacturers aren't noted for doing smart things.

My younger Brother went to buy a new Stepside 4x4 Ranger in 2005.
The salesman asked the SM why he couldn't find any reference to them.
The SM said, 'oh, Ford quit making them.'

The salesman asks the SM why Ford would quit making the most popular
truck that Ford makes?

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
The problem Ford had with the Ranger was it was a lot like many of the small cars today. Low domestic demand because it was designed for the overseas market. The NA market is not the way the rest of the world buys cars. And the new Ranger then was so close in size to the F150 that they feared losing F150 sales and not gaining enough Ranger sales to make it work. Since then, the F150 has gotten even bigger, so Ranger makes more sense now. I think Ford is getting ready for a possible big leap in battery storage technology that will create totally new chassis development and they will design cars that will work with that. If there is enough demand, cars will return to the lineup.

OP
OP
EcoVert

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of people may not remember the last Ranger all though updated and refreshed was a product of the early 1990's it needed replaced. Ford thought it could convert Ranger sales to F150 much like they (Ford) think they can convert car buys to SUV's . Didn't work then and it's not going to work now.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Agreed ^

My sister in law absolutely despises SUVs. She is one of the few that hates sitting higher up in a bigger wider vehicle. If there are no cars from Ford when she looks to get a new car she will look elsewhere.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I imagine Ford took this very thing into consideration before they took
this step.
They've been in business a long time.
Besides, car manufacturers aren't noted for doing smart things.

My younger Brother went to buy a new Stepside 4x4 Ranger in 2005.
The salesman asked the SM why he couldn't find any reference to them.
The SM said, 'oh, Ford quit making them.'

The salesman asks the SM why Ford would quit making the most popular
truck that Ford makes?
My guess is that a big part of the issue was that the UNION employees in the St. Paul Minnesota Ford Plant made a lot of money and also had agreements with Ford that would make it difficult or expensive for Ford to move the Ranger production to a different location. So, the Ranger was costing Ford too much money and they weren't making as much as they wanted to on it.

So they took a long range view and got out of the bad contract by shutting down the Ranger production completely. Too bad, as IMO it was cool having a Ford plant here in town. But the people assembling Rangers were making a lot of money and the plant is in the middle of town on very expensive real estate.

Just another example of the impact that collective bargaining can have on a company and on the public. I always liked the Ranger too and I was sad to see Ford stop making it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Agreed ^

My sister in law absolutely despises SUVs. She is one of the few that hates sitting higher up in a bigger wider vehicle. If there are no cars from Ford when she looks to get a new car she will look elsewhere.
Easy solution.......

Mustang!!!

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
My guess is that a big part of the issue was that the UNION employees in the St. Paul Minnesota Ford Plant made a lot of money and also had agreements with Ford that would make it difficult or expensive for Ford to move the Ranger production to a different location. So, the Ranger was costing Ford too much money and they weren't making as much as they wanted to on it.

So they took a long range view and got out of the bad contract by shutting down the Ranger production completely. Too bad, as IMO it was cool having a Ford plant here in town. But the people assembling Rangers were making a lot of money and the plant is in the middle of town on very expensive real estate.

Just another example of the impact that collective bargaining can have on a company and on the public. I always liked the Ranger too and I was sad to see Ford stop making it.
Yep.

I toured the St. Paul plant back in the late 1980s, and it stands out as one of the most impressive industrial tours I've been on to date.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yep.

I toured the St. Paul plant back in the late 1980s, and it stands out as one of the most impressive industrial tours I've been on to date.
I went on a tour there as well and thought it was awesome.

I knew a guy who worked on the assembly line and he was making good money at the time. He could also choose to do the most basic jobs (his example was picking up cardboard) rather than being required to earn his high pay by doing one of the more difficult assembly tasks. Didn't seem right to me, but he must have loved it.

I always enjoyed going to the Ford car show that they would hold in the parking lot every spring as well.
Sponsored