Ford Ditching Cars For SUV's Has Cost Them Loyal Customers

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The American market has spoken. The want SUV's & CUV's. They are not rushing in droves to buy performance cars. Sucks for us but it is what it is.
Since when is a family sedan or economy car a performance car? They gave away that market to Toyota, Honda, Hyundai & Mazda, not to themselves in a different vehicle segment.

So your wishing that the company that made your car, the GT350, the GT500. the Bullitt, and the EB HPP should go under. They took our cars name not our children. I think we need to take a breath.
Go under? No. Feel enough pain to figure out how to make more products that people want besides low volume Ford Performance cars and Pickups? Yes.
Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Since when is a family sedan or economy car a performance car? They gave away that market to Toyota, Honda, Hyundai & Mazda, not to themselves in a different vehicle segment.
My Focus RS would beg to differ and I'm pissed that the next generation RS isn't coming to America. Fiesta ST is another example of an economical hotrod

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Agreed, I'd probably have an RS for a driver also if they hadn't been so expensive. Despite their greatness, I couldn't see dropping that much on a hatch.
The RS isn't cheap but you get a lot for your money - mine splits DD duty with the GT. And I got mine well under invoice.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The cars were ugly and low margin. Apart from the Focus RS the only thing that was decent was the Taurus SHO. Pretty low success rate in sedans over the last two decades in the US I’d say so why waste resources? No one grows up aspiring to own a Ford Fusion so is anyone really going to miss it?

It’s a business and I’d rather they have focus on profitability and creating value for shareholders than waste resources making cars that don’t excite anyone.
And the SHO was not exactly fantastic. For the money, you could get a Charger Scat Pack which is a far far far superior vehicle. And I'm not going to be sorry for saying that. Better front interior space, better rear interior space, more powerful engine, WAY better transmission, better styling, obviously sounds better, and has some actual character.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I'm so glad I bought my car when I did. And a convertible to boot. On retiring in a few years, it will become a garage queen and hopefully over the next ensuing 20 years parts will not become a problem. We have a 2015 Rogue which will do the not so daily driving and, to the extent that we need to replace it at some point, it will depend on what our activities are (and where we end up living) as to whether we go electric, which I would not have a problem doing, provided whatever we buy has sufficient range to handle our needs.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
And the SHO was not exactly fantastic. For the money, you could get a Charger Scat Pack which is a far far far superior vehicle. And I'm not going to be sorry for saying that. Better front interior space, better rear interior space, more powerful engine, WAY better transmission, better styling, obviously sounds better, and has some actual character.
The SHO needed either a manual or much less weight. It felt just as heavy as it was. It also didn't help that for such a big car it felt cramped.

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Got rid of my 2011 Fusion in the spring. Hated the look and feel of the current Fusion, plus no trunk space. Couldn't find a decent Focus on a lot around here (wanted an ST). Jumped to Kia, got an Optima EX Premium and love it. In my opinion, a much better car than the Fusion I got rid of.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
The cars were ugly and low margin. Apart from the Focus RS the only thing that was decent was the Taurus SHO. Pretty low success rate in sedans over the last two decades in the US I’d say so why waste resources? No one grows up aspiring to own a Ford Fusion so is anyone really going to miss it?

It’s a business and I’d rather they have focus on profitability and creating value for shareholders than waste resources making cars that don’t excite anyone.
I understand that but does that strategy work when the customer leaves and goes to a different brand like I did?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Apparently the F in Ford stands for f$%& you! As in they fisted their most loyal customers. The top guys at Ford must be friends with the government as neither are competent. Hopefully I stopped short of breaking any forum rules lol.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
Ford has to deal with a public that has no clue about cars. For over ten years, the Flex has been a steady seller with few changes. Now it is gone, with no replacement. It is the way of the car business. Value is not what sells to the average buyer. In a few years, electric cars are going to be common. Are they any better than the gasoline powered cars.....NO. But the public thinks they are more ecological and practical, so they ignore reality.

Sponsored

GasPedal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium | Race Red
I understand that but does that strategy work when the customer leaves and goes to a different brand like I did?
Yeah it works fine since you said nothing about the Fords excited you anyway so you got a Mazda. Ford understood people were making that choice more often than not so they killed off sedans in America so they can focus on F-150s and crossovers which are more expensive, make them more money, and people want them since the average transaction price has gone up in an otherwise miserable year for them.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Yeah it works fine since you said nothing about the Fords excited you anyway so you got a Mazda. Ford understood people were making that choice more often than not so they killed off sedans in America so they can focus on F-150s and crossovers which are more expensive, make them more money, and people want them since the average transaction price has gone up in an otherwise miserable year for them.
I also said the wife has an SUV already and we didn't need two. That is where there strategy IMO is backfiring. Also think of it this way. Say the wife and I have a few more kids and decide we need two SUVs now. but my Mazda dealer has treated me like royalty so far(a story for another day) and I am really impressed with my car I might consider a Mazda SUV instead of going back to Ford

GasPedal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium | Race Red
I also said the wife has an SUV already and we didn't need two. That is where there strategy IMO is backfiring. Also think of it this way. Say the wife and I have a few more kids and decide we need two SUVs now. but my Mazda dealer has treated me like royalty so far(a story for another day) and I am really impressed with my car I might consider a Mazda SUV instead of going back to Ford
Sure but you see Mazda evolved to that point. I’m sure people that were fans of the RX-8 were upset when that was discontinued but they focused on making better cars and it’s paid off because you picked them over Ford or any other Asian manufacturer. I’d rather Ford specialize and adapt rather than try to make one of everything.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sure but you see Mazda evolved to that point. I’m sure people that were fans of the RX-8 were upset when that was discontinued but they focused on making better cars and it’s paid off because you picked them over Ford or any other Asian manufacturer. I’d rather Ford specialize and adapt rather than try to make one of everything.
ehh, if they don't make something I want to buy, what good are they?

I'd rather that Ford makes something interesting to me even if it isn't perfect rather than making the absolute most money possible on every product they sell. I just don't see alienating your customers as a good long term strategy.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I'd rather see Ford not turn away customers. I understand the market is changing but to completely abandon sedans IMO is a bad move.

I could see ditching some cars but keep one besides the Mustang. They are literally saying if you want a car go ahead and buy it somewhere else we don't need your money. I mean, yeah maybe if my Focus didn't die on me and I had more time to look I could have found the right Fusion for me and I wouldn't be as passionate about it but I have been a ford guy since I could drive. Or if my Focus survived until they completely dropped cars I would have had to go elsewhere becuase I didn't need an SUV but that's all they want to offer. Between me, my sister and my parents we have bought 19 Fords since 2003. It was weird to not buy a Ford when I needed a vehicle and when the lease on the Mazda is up it will be weird not looking at Ford again....(unless I can swing a Mustang then hahahaha)
Sponsored