crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I really need to drive someone's car that doesn't have the 2k rattle thing...lol
I mean. I've really only driven mine, so I guess I don't really know. However, people seem to say that it's a rather loud sound. At 2k rpm I don't hear any rattling or ticking from the engine. Am I supposed to be listening for a different rattle from something else? All I hear is wind noise, just about.
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I mean. I've really only driven mine, so I guess I don't really know. However, people seem to say that it's a rather loud sound. At 2k rpm I don't hear any rattling or ticking from the engine. Am I supposed to be listening for a different rattle from something else? All I hear is wind noise, just about.
I have a theory that it's not heard by everyone because it's only there with a pretty light pedal input. 2nd or 3rd gear in a residential area doing 25-30 is where I hear it worst. Around 2k-2800 light on the pedal to maintain speed and it's a rattle that sounds like DI from the engine compartment. Being that it goes away, I want to think it's a vibration making something rattle but wouldn't the frequencies change at different gears causing different vibrations and therefor not making the thing rattle? Also, if DI, why isn't it heard after 2800ish? To conclude my theory would be to say every car does it, but it's more a matter of how light/heavy footed you are. I'm not so much concerned about damage it's may or may not be doing as it's driving me nuts that a "normal" sound isn't heard from every car. Maybe I'll go test drive some and see. The BBQ tick however, didn't show up till after the first oil change like many have also realized.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Where does one find this engine timer you mentioned?
I don't know if that is what it's called. But there is a little timer that counts engine on time(i think only counts while the engine is on, but haven't checked), it is in the "trip1" page(trip 2 as well). The one that lists Run time(engine hours), miles till empty, miles traveled and avg MPG.

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Around 2k-2800 light on the pedal to maintain speed and it's a rattle that sounds like DI from the engine compartment.
Huh. Yeah, I don't have it. Just driving around with light footing and heavy footing, I just don't have any rattling or anything. Sometimes my glove box does a little rattle on bumpy roads but I just open and close it and it shuts up.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Huh. Yeah, I don't have it. Just driving around with light footing and heavy footing, I just don't have any rattling or anything. Sometimes my glove box does a little rattle on bumpy roads but I just open and close it and it shuts up.
In my mind that means the sound I hear can't be "normal" lol. Oh well.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I have a theory that it's not heard by everyone because it's only there with a pretty light pedal input. 2nd or 3rd gear in a residential area doing 25-30 is where I hear it worst. Around 2k-2800 light on the pedal to maintain speed and it's a rattle that sounds like DI from the engine compartment. Being that it goes away, I want to think it's a vibration making something rattle but wouldn't the frequencies change at different gears causing different vibrations and therefor not making the thing rattle? Also, if DI, why isn't it heard after 2800ish? To conclude my theory would be to say every car does it, but it's more a matter of how light/heavy footed you are. I'm not so much concerned about damage it's may or may not be doing as it's driving me nuts that a "normal" sound isn't heard from every car. Maybe I'll go test drive some and see. The BBQ tick however, didn't show up till after the first oil change like many have also realized.
An interesting theory!
I drive that way in my neighborhood: 25 mph; 3rd gear; light throttle; exhaust in quiet mode. I have not heard any rattles but I will listen more carefully for them now. I changed the oil at about 600 miles, still Motorcraft 5w-20.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Every GT I've driven has had the 2k rattle. Brand new, and use during demo drives. I really think a lot of owners say they don't have it because of the way they drive, and the very specific spot on the throttle that causes this harmonic noise.

I'm convinced It's a harmonic noise in the HPFP/DI system.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The 2K rattle is very easy to hit if you drive in track mode in e.g. around town. I find myself being in that range often which leads to that I take it of track as it sounds like the car is about to blow up :D.
My new motor has it all, power, typewriter tick that has become a bit louder, 2K machinge gun and the lift of rattle.

I have chose to live with it, no point in going back anymore as more or less all of it is deemed to be normal characteristics. However the lift off rattle I believe is still an open point.

Last edited:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have a rattle and I drive in the 2k rpm range for extended period of time. I also have heard what sounded like a tick 1 time but I was in a line of cars so not even sure it was mine. I’ve had my oil changed also.

Sponsored

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
The "2k rattle" on the 2018+ 5.0s is the DI system kicking in. Unlike other cars with both direct and port injection, the Gen 3 Coyote is fully port injected at low RPM and transitions to full DI at higher RPM, rather than being blended together most of the time. The high pressure fuel pump is mechanical and runs off one of the passenger side camshafts with a small arm. It's actually a pretty ingenious solution and better than having an electric system imo. However this creates some resonance off the cam and what is known as the "2k rattle." Calling it a rattle is a bit harsh to me. It's more like a faint fluttering sound but is completely normal operation for this engine.

As far as the tick, it's a little harder to pinpoint but I believe its mild oil cavitation and only more prevalent on the 2018+ due to the higher 12:1 compression. Normal variances within tolerance are why some engines do it more than others.

Hope this gives some perspective and helps put some at ease.

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Every GT I've driven has had the 2k rattle. Brand new, and use during demo drives. I really think a lot of owners say they don't have it because of the way they drive, and the very specific spot on the throttle that causes this harmonic noise.

I'm convinced It's a harmonic noise in the HPFP/DI system.
No I literally do not have it. I drive light, I drive hard. I go on the highway, I drive a lot through residential areas. My car just doesn't have the rattle.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Your car is not normal then :cwl::devil:
No I literally do not have it. I drive light, I drive hard. I go on the highway, I drive a lot through residential areas. My car just doesn't have the rattle.