Sponsored

Ford buy back attempt 2018 Mustang GT “typewriter tick/rattle.”

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
When people on the sidewalk look at that car like 'what's wrong with that thing'. Or you're riding a buddy and he asks what's wrong with that engine. Those things are not normal. And I'm not talking about injector tick.
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Just trying to keep it civil, seen plenty of threads where things get escalated because someone reads something the wrong way. Sounds like a misread on my part so nothing to worry about.

I get this but maybe it's my thick head that can't get around to not all cars making the same noises. The BBQ tick started after my first oil change and is now seemingly gone after an oil additive. How can it be a normal sound if it's not consistent? I really do wish I took the blue pill.
Ok I get that you can't let it go, but I already told you why some "think" they don't hear a tick or rattle.

If you must, carry on, but you won't get a lot of support here now. Four or five months ago and you would have had a lot of convo on this.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
This has been my theory for awhile. It's too predictable and repeatable IMO.

I've been saying the same thing too. If it were a mechanical issue it would be more prevalent throughout the broader RPM range not in just a few hundered RPM.

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
When people on the sidewalk look at that car like 'what's wrong with that thing'. Or you're riding a buddy and he asks what's wrong with that engine. Those things are not normal. And I'm not talking about injector tick.
I am guessing your car sounded like tomnelsonii posted? If so, yeah I can see where people would be talking a look. If you car sounded like 99% of all other coyotes, they were looking because you car most likely looked bad ass. Do you still have your Mustang?

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I like all of this but it still leads me to question why the sound doesn't progress past 2800ish RPM? Are you also saying tolerance is why some don't hear the 2k sound too?
The sound isn't present past ~2800rpm because the DI system is fully engaged and done "ramping up" at that point. All Gen 3 Coyotes will make the sound because they all have DI... Owners saying they don't hear it just aren't listening closely enough. Hell, I would've never heard it on my car if it wasn't for this damn forum.

My comment about tolerance was in regard to the BBQ tick. I guess it's possible that variance within tolerance can affect the severity of the DI flutter, but I'm not sure. You'd have to ask a Ford powertrain engineer.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
The sound isn't present past ~2800rpm because the DI system is fully engaged and done "ramping up" at that point. All Gen 3 Coyotes will make the sound because they all have DI... Owners saying they don't hear it just aren't listening closely enough. Hell, I would've never heard it on my car if it wasn't for this damn forum.

My comment about tolerance was in regard to the BBQ tick. I guess it's possible that variance within tolerance can affect the severity of the DI flutter, but I'm not sure. You'd have to ask a Ford powertrain engineer.
I laid on the engine block, with a stethoscope while someone drove it at exactly 2799.99 rpms and still didn't hear it.

jhammy49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
heard the tick so I upgraded my exhaust and added a noisy supercharger that happens to scream like a woman who just had a mouse run over her foot. Problem went away... I think.
THIS! THIS is the best answer I've ever heard! WINNING!

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
I am guessing your car sounded like tomnelsonii posted? If so, yeah I can see where people would be talking a look. If you car sounded like 99% of all other coyotes, they were looking because you car most likely looked bad ass. Do you still have your Mustang?
The Mustang was bought back by Ford. Finished up the process in January. My engine didn't sound like the one members that you mentioned. Mine had a rap to it. Many call it the rattle. Mine progressed across more of the rpm range and had gotten louder. Then misfires on number 8 started. Then I started the buy back as soon as I met PA laws. I got tired of going to the dealership to visit my car.

Sponsored

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
The engine rattle or rap is still present past 2800 and into 4 5 6 gears. It's just harder to hear because the car is moving faster producing more wind and tire noise. Listen closely and you will hear it.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The Mustang was bought back by Ford. Finished up the process in January. My engine didn't sound like the one members that you mentioned. Mine had a rap to it. Many call it the rattle. Mine progressed across more of the rpm range and had gotten louder. Then misfires on number 8 started. Then I started the buy back as soon as I met PA laws. I got tired of going to the dealership to visit my car.
Very interesting....yes very interesting.

Karavel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kara
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack Ruby Red
Bring on the replies and blah blah blah I don't care I am going to say it.
The "ticks" bbq or typewriter are a result of the AC belt on ALL 2011 - 2019 mustangs.
I have had a 2013 GT and now a 17 GT both ticked. You can hear it more next to walls esp at drive throughs. On my 17 I can hear it randomly tap when revving idle at about 2000 rpm.
There was a TSB years back for an AC tensioner pulley and belt but you think Ford is going to spend millions to add them to future mustangs just because of a noise, no.
The Air Conditioner belt has more slack on some Mustangs and not as much on others.
Cut the belt and I bet it all goes away.
People been trying rebuilds, new engines, oil thicknesses etc lol.
It's the damn AC belt.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
The "ticks" bbq or typewriter are a result of the AC belt on ALL 2011 - 2019 mustangs.
I have had a 2013 GT and now a 17 GT both ticked. You can hear it more next to walls esp at drive throughs. On my 17 I can hear it randomly tap when revving idle at about 2000 rpm.
There was a TSB years back for an AC tensioner pulley and belt but you think Ford is going to spend millions to add them to future mustangs just because of a noise, no.
The Air Conditioner belt has more slack on some Mustangs and not as much on others.
It's the damn AC belt.
Wow.. Interesting you posted this. I just tested this after reading your post. Sure enough when I turn my AC or heat (yes even the heat) on I hear a tick if I’m next to something. Turn it off it goes away, turn on it comes back on...

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
It's the damn AC belt.
Wow.. Interesting you posted this. I just tested this after reading your post. Sure enough when I turn my AC or heat (yes even the heat) on I hear a tick if I’m next to something. Turn it off it goes away, turn on it comes back on...
A few have tried your suspected cures without success. What should they try next?
Sponsored