Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
My car does not have it.

Of course its a GT350. :thumbsup::crackup:
Hahah! I wish I could have afforded a 350...Totally happy with my GT though! I had an 11 GT500 and loved it too, couldn't corner for crap but man did it plant you in the seat, and the supercharger whine......and now I need a cold shower

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
The "2k rattle" on the 2018+ 5.0s is the DI system kicking in. Unlike other cars with both direct and port injection, the Gen 3 Coyote is fully port injected at low RPM and transitions to full DI at higher RPM, rather than being blended together most of the time. The high pressure fuel pump is mechanical and runs off one of the passenger side camshafts with a small arm. It's actually a pretty ingenious solution and better than having an electric system imo. However this creates some resonance off the cam and what is known as the "2k rattle." Calling it a rattle is a bit harsh to me. It's more like a faint fluttering sound but is completely normal operation for this engine.

As far as the tick, it's a little harder to pinpoint but I believe its mild oil cavitation and only more prevalent on the 2018+ due to the higher 12:1 compression. Normal variances within tolerance are why some engines do it more than others.

Hope this gives some perspective and helps put some at ease.
I like all of this but it still leads me to question why the sound doesn't progress past 2800ish RPM? Are you also saying tolerance is why some don't hear the 2k sound too?

I did put in a bottle of MoS2 last night and no BBQ tick this morning. The 2k sound seems to be a little quieter too but could be placebo. Makes me feel kinda dirty though, I'm usually not the guy to put in additives and heavier oil to stop sounds. Would rather fix them.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I think the discrepancy for people saying they have or not have the rattle (or tick) is because it is a normal sound characteristic of the engine. Those that say they don't have the rattle are not paranoid and trying to listen to every sound their engine makes and thinking it is a problem. Every engine from every car ever made makes noises. Anyone could find a noise in any engine and claim it is a problem. I'm not saying that there are no engines that have problems, but there are distinct signs that the engine is running badly and would need to be replaced. Those signs and sounds would not be what 99% of the posters on this site are talking about. Stop wasting your time with listening for gremlins in your engine and go and enjoy the darn thing.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
At least your car doesn't sound like mine did last year!!!

Holy crap that’s nasty.

I would be so pissed off. New Mustang 5.0 should not sound like that. The people here saying just get over it and enjoy your car must have taken some bladder acid and never recovered.

Has anyone done a poll here on the tick for 2018 + motors to see what % have this ?

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I think the discrepancy for people saying they have or not have the rattle (or tick) is because it is a normal sound characteristic of the engine. Those that say they don't have the rattle are not paranoid and trying to listen to every sound their engine makes and thinking it is a problem. Every engine from every car ever made makes noises. Anyone could find a noise in any engine and claim it is a problem. I'm not saying that there are no engines that have problems, but there are distinct signs that the engine is running badly and would need to be replaced. Those signs and sounds would not be what 99% of the posters on this site are talking about. Stop wasting your time with listening for gremlins in your engine and go and enjoy the darn thing.

My 16 don’t sound like that. That’s not normal. I want to smoke what your smoking !!!

Also, some of us buy the 5.0 for the sound of the motor. Ecoboost is plenty fast but it don’t have that V8 sound. That tick is horrible. Sorry but I could never enjoy a motor like that. Part of the fun is lifting up your engine hood and “check this out” and you hear that ? No way.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
This is my 24th car and I did a ton of ride alongs with my dad at his work (retired mechanic) growing up. While not a mechanic myself, I do 90% of my own work on my vehicles. I admittedly know just enough to royally ruin something lol. I like to think I know what normal engine sounds are but this is my first Coyote. It's not paranoia when an unfamiliar sound jumps out at you. Again though, it can be argued the seeds were planted since I was reading about this stuff before I took delivery. I don't think it's a waste of time to share experiences and maybe uncover a likely natural sound and/or learn stuff along the way. I enjoy it every time I drive it, park it, and look back at it as I walk into work. Internet can't confirm or deny any attitude from your post so I'll just reply that if you don't like what you're reading, nobody is forcing it upon you. Hopefully it's a misread on my part and we both have a great day. Actually we should have great days no matter what we read on a car forum lol.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Does createc have to in the oil a minimum amount if mileage before it's affective.i just put 2000 miles between oil changes,it's an extra car so really just drive it on weekends if it's nice out and I can out top down.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
The "2k rattle" on the 2018+ 5.0s is the DI system kicking in. Unlike other cars with both direct and port injection, the Gen 3 Coyote is fully port injected at low RPM and transitions to full DI at higher RPM, rather than being blended together most of the time. The high pressure fuel pump is mechanical and runs off one of the passenger side camshafts with a small arm. It's actually a pretty ingenious solution and better than having an electric system imo. However this creates some resonance off the cam and what is known as the "2k rattle." Calling it a rattle is a bit harsh to me. It's more like a faint fluttering sound but is completely normal operation for this engine.
This has been my theory for awhile. It's too predictable and repeatable IMO.

Now, that video posted a above, that's definitely a bad one. Hopefully, you got a new long block, with just the "normal" sounds.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
This is my 24th car and I did a ton of ride alongs with my dad at his work (retired mechanic) growing up. While not a mechanic myself, I do 90% of my own work on my vehicles. I admittedly know just enough to royally ruin something lol. I like to think I know what normal engine sounds are but this is my first Coyote. It's not paranoia when an unfamiliar sound jumps out at you. Again though, it can be argued the seeds were planted since I was reading about this stuff before I took delivery. I don't think it's a waste of time to share experiences and maybe uncover a likely natural sound and/or learn stuff along the way. I enjoy it every time I drive it, park it, and look back at it as I walk into work. Internet can't confirm or deny any attitude from your post so I'll just reply that if you don't like what you're reading, nobody is forcing it upon you. Hopefully it's a misread on my part and we both have a great day. Actually we should have great days no matter what we read on a car forum lol.
So a couple things....yes you were brainwashed prior to getting your car that there was/is an issue. No worries, since there isn't one. On sharing experiences...there is no problem with that, however on this subject it was played out with the horse being beaten so badly there was nothing left to identify. In the end, it was shown that there was/is no issue with the "noises" the Coyote makes as they are natural harmonics of this particular engine. In the course of the horse being unmercifully beaten, no one was able to show a relation to any engine replacement (some I think were made up to further their false point) or problem they had. That is why you rarely see this subject come up anymore (it was very overwhelming for a several months). Anyone that was trying to prove these noises were/are a problem, have stopped and gone on to other things. So my feelings at this point is that you and anyone else bringing this subject up now is wasting their time. You should first go read the hundreds of posts that ultimately ended thankfully. I am just trying to save you some time by saying ignore the "noises". Not sure what you meant by the internet and the attitude of my post, but I said what I said to try to help you. Lastly, if people did not read anything they did not like or agree with and just ignore it, they would be doing themselves and others a disservice. Never shy away from speaking up because you don't like something someone said. Agree or disagree, always stand up for what you believe is right.

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
This has been my theory for awhile. It's too predictable and repeatable IMO.

Now, that video posted a above, that's definitely a bad one. Hopefully, you got a new long block, with just the "normal" sounds.
Agreed, that engine has an issue. It does not sound like a good Coyote....or any good engine for that matter. If every Coyote sounded like that, then there would be a reason to be pissed off.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
My 16 don’t sound like that. That’s not normal. I want to smoke what your smoking !!!
Your '16 doesn't have the port/direct injection. Now, anything that sounds like that video is a problem, but that's not the sound some are referring to as normal.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
At least your car doesn't sound like mine did last year!!!

This was from your 2016 you have now? Did they replace the engine? How many miles on it when it was replaced?

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Every GT I've driven has had the 2k rattle. Brand new, and use during demo drives. I really think a lot of owners say they don't have it because of the way they drive, and the very specific spot on the throttle that causes this harmonic noise.

I'm convinced It's a harmonic noise in the HPFP/DI system.
100% agree with you.

On my PP2 the tires are noisy, but at between ~68-75 mph, they develop a "hum". It is just the harmonics of that particular tire. Changing PSI will slightly alter the mph the hum develops. Same can be said for certain exhaust systems, the drone some hear will show up at different engine speeds, all thanks to harmonics.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Not sure what you meant by the internet and the attitude of my post, but I said what I said to try to help you.
Just trying to keep it civil, seen plenty of threads where things get escalated because someone reads something the wrong way. Sounds like a misread on my part so nothing to worry about.

In the end, it was shown that there was/is no issue with the "noises" the Coyote makes as they are natural harmonics of this particular engine.
I get this but maybe it's my thick head that can't get around to not all cars making the same noises. The BBQ tick started after my first oil change and is now seemingly gone after an oil additive. How can it be a normal sound if it's not consistent? I really do wish I took the blue pill.
Sponsored