Ford 'Big Data Community'

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Anybody else been pitched this by Ford (well, a data gathering outfit working for Ford)? They install a data collector that transmits to Ford, and you take a survey once a month. They give $100 to start, and you get entered in some sort of lottery for (unspecified) goodies. The $100 is no big deal; I did it out of curiosity. I don't believe Ford would sell a 480 HP car then squawk when someone drove it as intended. And, if Ford uses it to build a better 'Stang, well y'all owe me ;)
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Nope. If I get in trouble for driving it's cause a cop did their job not cause I volunteered the info.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Why in the hell would anyone want to participate in this?

"Yes, please stick your nose in my business"

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
^ Now thats funny.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm out of warranty already, so bring it on. I'd look forward to blowing up the bell curve.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I work with in business intelligence and analytics. Is there a document or agreement or something they have? I'm curious as to what they're trying to accomplish with their data acquisition. I'm gonna guess they're not out to "get anyone" as popping a small fish here and there is just a huge waist of time/resources/money. While Big Brother is definitely big, they are GENERALLY selective at what they're going big about.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I've thought more about it, if Ford waived my monthly payment for each month they collect data then sign me up. I'll drive like a responsible adult for a free car, I mean science, errr I mean the children.... Meh fu#k it just give me a free car lol

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Chances are - if it involves data and analytics - it's about customer base and profit.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Chances are - if it involves data and analytics - it's about customer base and profit.
True but they can also track everywhere you go and how you drive and when push comes to shove this data- information can and would be used against you. It's like 23 and me and anyone else wanting your dna, anyone who sends their dna to them is a idiot after they get your dna there's no place you can hide and nothing you can do to not be identified. All this data - information gathering is ultimately about control.

Last edited:

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
True but they can also track everywhere you go and how you drive and when push comes to shove this data- information can and would be used against you. It's like 23 and me and anyone else wanting your dna, anyone who sends their dna to them is a idiot after they get your dna there's no place you can hide and nothing you can do to not be identified. All this data - information gathering is ultimately about control.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'd personally never do it - the Ford data collection deal - to each their own. As far as the DNA testing, I don't feel sorry for anyone who does that. They list their terms and conditions up front and customers must agree to it before purchasing / submitting the test. Fact is most people today don't pay attention to terms and conditions. I think many people might be shocked by the things they legally agreed to - say when installing software on their phone / computer - and how it could effect them.

That being said.

There is no hiding from data collection without dropping off the grid completely and that in and of itself (not defending it at all) is likely to draw more attention to someone. Facial recognition, cameras, automated home devices (see the article about Alexa accidentally sending records of conversations to a person on a user's contact list without their knowledge) they are out there. Ultimately all that money to implement these systems - for the most part - is purely about marketing, customers, data analytics and profit.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Do you want a chip implanted in your body next? C'mon man... This is as bad as that safe driving module one of the insurance companies wants to install for a better rate. Just say no...

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Do you want a chip implanted in your body next? C'mon man... This is as bad as that safe driving module one of the insurance companies wants to install for a better rate. Just say no...
Funny you mention that safe driving module. A buddy of mine used an old OBD 2 adapter plug and told his two teenage kids it was a "safe driving" deal from their insurance company and it would transmit speed, driving habits etc. LOL
Sponsored