Sponsored

For those who installed your catbacks yourself...how bad was it on jackstands?

STangfan44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
I know the DIY vids make things look easier than they are sometimes, and when it comes to exhausts, having the car on the lift makes things really easy and accessible, but I don't have a lift. I've called around and no one will install my catbacks for less than 150 and given what I've seen on the videos for these borlas, I can't see it being more than a 45 min job on a lift, so that's too much money.

I have seen a few vids of people doing it themselves with their car on jackstands or ramps, but they often don't show it all. How bad was it to put the borla catback system on yourself? Heck, how bad was it trying to get the factory one piece off? I might be trying to do this myself, so anyone who did it that way, any tips are appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
I paid $50 for a shop to install mine. It looked super easy for them to do it.

fordxgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 XLT 5.0L V8
Vehicle Showcase
You definitely need someone to help get the stock exhaust out because it is large and heavy. I did my catback with a friend on jack stands and it isn't bad at all with 2 people.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I did it by myself on jackstands. Never had replaced exhaust on a car before. Was definately a little awkward and on the heavy side, but doable obviously. It wasn’t dangerous heavy, just awkward.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Backed the car up on to race ramps and did it myself. I'm barely 5ft tall and had no issues doing it myself.

Sponsored

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
Totally do-able on jack stands or ramps by yourself with a bit of forethought...

I did the same as DarkestHour, put the rear wheels on ramps and did the work with supervision from my wife :) As with all things involving a saw, measure many times first, and if possible go with the least extreme cut possible. You can cut more if needed, but re-adding it allot harder! Also, the stock muffers are heavier than I expected! I squirted some WD40 on the hanger based on the videos I'd watched. As soon as I finished cutting (axle back install) the muffler basically fell out. I caught it, well... sorta... it more or less smashed my hand as I tried to catch it. For the other side I put a box under it to avoid a repeat incident :)

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Did mine on jack stands. One of the easier installations done versus things like suspension or removing the entire front bumper for lighting/grille mods.

Hardest part is all the tomfoolery to get the tips perfectly lined up.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty easy, although I honestly prefer to back the car up on ramps to do it, and put the front on stands if you need more room, or while backing onto the stands, drive the front wheels up over some plywood. Most of the clearance you need is behind the rear wheels or near the rear wheel center.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the MBRP cat back on my car by myself on jack stands - and that was before I installed jacking rails. I've had it out several times working on other things.

Not hard at all. Hardest part is getting to tail pipes to sit exactly where you want them and that wasn't bad.

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
That's odd you can't find anything cheaper. I think a lot of places expect to do more than you really have to with these.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Easily done on jackstands. Used the jack (with a towel on the end so it doesn't scratch) itself to prop up the mufflers in the right position before tightening the clamps further up the pipe. They haven't moved in several months, almost a year now. Installed the Corsa Sport for reference.
Sponsored