Sponsored

For '18 & '19 owners: Anyone running a drop in Air Filter?

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
I know the discussion is always beaten to death....this is more geared to the '18 & '19 owners.

Is it a complete waste to do a drop in K&N or aFe filter on these cars? Will it lose power?

I don't want to really invest in a CAI being in California and all. I want to Whipple up at some point, but in the meantime I was wondering if it was worth it to do a drop in?

Any thoughts or experiences?
Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I know the discussion is always beaten to death....this is more geared to the '18 & '19 owners.

Is it a complete waste to do a drop in K&N or aFe filter on these cars? Will it lose power?

I don't want to really invest in a CAI being in California and all. I want to Whipple up at some point, but in the meantime I was wondering if it was worth it to do a drop in?

Any thoughts or experiences?
Shouldn't lose anything. May get a tad better response. If I didnt have a k&n new in box sitting around from last xmas I would have gotten the afe dry flow after installing stock intake back on following another cai experiment recently.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I've done back to back testing on a range of applications ranging from an LS1 in a Monaro (GTO for US folks) to a 2.0 Turbo Liberty (Legacy) and a 550 whp Nissan GTR and found negligible difference between the stock element and a K&N. This includes dyno runs, and vacuum drop measurements before and after the respective filter. I saw no discernible or repeatable differences that would justify either the price or the hassle of cleaning/reoiling the K&N.

I'd have preferred to find free horsepower, and would welcome evidence that weighs conclusively in favour of the K&N in a stock application, but suggest it's unlikely that the results would be different with respect to K&N vs the OEM Ford element. Can't comment on any other brands as I haven't tested them.

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
my stock paper filter wasnt even close to the K &N When i tried to suck and blow through both of them... the stock paper filter was horrible compared to the K&N... just my experience

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I've done back to back testing on a range of applications ranging from an LS1 in a Monaro (GTO for US folks) to a 2.0 Turbo Liberty (Legacy) and a 550 whp Nissan GTR and found negligible difference between the stock element and a K&N. This includes dyno runs, and vacuum drop measurements before and after the respective filter. I saw no discernible or repeatable differences that would justify either the price or the hassle of cleaning/reoiling the K&N.

I'd have preferred to find free horsepower, and would welcome evidence that weighs conclusively in favour of the K&N in a stock application, but suggest it's unlikely that the results would be different with respect to K&N vs the OEM Ford element. Can't comment on any other brands as I haven't tested them.
The stock air filter or any paper disposable filter will actually do its intended job better than a K&N filter. While a K&N filter allows for more air to pass through which equates to a little more power, it also doesn't filter as well because this very reason. The K&N allows more contaminates into the engine itself. How harmful is this? No idea, but it may cut a few thousand miles off of the lifespan of the car. I'd call that negligible.

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
I did a K&N drop in filter at the same time I did the Steeda x-pipe and the butt dyno seemed to sense some additional pull at higher RPM's, it was marginal at best though.

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
Do you have a video of this?
No I don’t but if I find my old filter I’ll make one. I have no reason to lie.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Did not see a PM. Thanks!
My bad. I asked someone else to handle it for me but we got swamped with calls and he wasn’t able to get to it in time. I just sent the PM myself. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks!

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Check out this video where stock OEM dirty, stock OEM new, aftermarket cheapo and finally a drop in K&N, all compared on a dyno...Interesting results:

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
A little dirty secret is...if you take your OEM paper filter out and lightly tap it on hard surface (dirty intake side down) most of the crap/dirt etc will come right out... Do that every 1000-2000 miles your good. Lol.
Sponsored