Fnck Ford!

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Got a message in my FordPass the other day that a Sync3 Nav map update is available. The options are: 1) download to a USB, or 2) pay '$40 + shipping' for a USB drive from Ford (shipping cost not stated, but I'd bet it's at least twice what is really costs). The process should be simple, download the large map file and a license, start the car and plug in the thumbdrive; Sync should do the rest. I plugged the thumdrive in the USB port in my Bullitt, Sync recognized the drive then ... nothing. I updated Sync a few months ago and the process went as advertised (why the car needs to be running makes no sense but, hey, whatever).

So I called the support number given, the tech is, of course, clueless (sounded like he was talking to his supe in the background). Did a hard reset on Sync involving the volume control knob--he kept calling it a 'knab,' even after I corrected his pronounciation--tried the upload again with same result. He gives me a case# and an 800 number which I called today. Right off-the-bat they (a recording) tried to upsell to the Ford-supplied disc (the update is supposed to be free, and $40 for a $10 thumbdrive--really Ford???!!!). I 'pressed zero' for an operator; no answer and after a couple minutes the call gets dropped. I can see Ford trying to squeeze customers in these 'trying times,' but this is beyond the pale.

Anyone else tried to update their Sync nav maps?
Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure the 2019 needs the update....? not sure but I think I read 2018 was the cutoff.

This could be a clue, :Sync recognized the drive then ... nothing. "

Read the code and did not launch cause your update is current.

Was all working as it should, still doing the same ?

Software guys always blame the hardware ...LOL the on going battle in the IT arena.

Cheers

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Are you sure the 2019 needs the update....? not sure but I think I read 2018 was the cutoff.

This could be a clue, :Sync recognized the drive then ... nothing. "

Read the code and did not launch cause your update is current.

Was all working as it should, still doing the same ?

Software guys always blame the hardware ...LOL the on going battle in the IT arena.

Cheers
I've got rev# 17 of the maps ... some have 18, 19, I believe is the latest. I got the update to start, then got ERR003 after about 20 minutes ... grrrrrrr (will try again later). At any rate there is a long thread going (noted earlier).

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I've got rev# 17 of the maps ... some have 18, 19, I believe is the latest. I got the update to start, then got ERR003 after about 20 minutes ... grrrrrrr (will try again later). At any rate there is a long thread going (noted earlier).

The USB from Ford or you put the file on the drive.... posable corruption ?
If you downloaded the file just for grins. Format the drive try again?

Multitask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 MKZ Hybrid
I've read that the ERR003 , means you don't have the updated licence file.... see if you can DL it again... I read that the name might not be right.

BTW, it's not Ford that makes the maps it's a 3rd party... so maybe it's the 3rd party that hung up on you. 8)

hope this is where you got them.
https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
The USB from Ford or you put the file on the drive.... posable corruption ?
If you downloaded the file just for grins. Format the drive try again?
I did a hard format on the USB drive before I copied the files over. I'd like to get the latest maps; current is wrong in some places. I rented an Edge in Rhode Island, it kept wanting us to cross a river to get to the Navy base (no bridge). Google Maps got us there.

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I've read that the ERR003 , means you don't have the updated licence file.... see if you can DL it again... I read that the name might not be right.

BTW, it's not Ford that makes the maps it's a 3rd party... so maybe it's the 3rd party that hung up on you. 8)

hope this is where you got them.
https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home
I will (download the license again, if I can get it). Even if it's 3rd party, Ford shouldn't allow this (makes them look bad, and I'm a fanboi).

Multitask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 MKZ Hybrid
I did a hard format on the USB drive before I copied the files over. I'd like to get the latest maps; current is wrong in some places. I rented an Edge in Rhode Island, it kept wanting us to cross a river to get to the Navy base (no bridge). Google Maps got us there.
Current will never happen... 3rd party maps are usualy 2-3 years behind (Ford, Kenwood etc...) Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze, those are most current because they use your phones data line to update maps. Garmin is only as up to date as you do the updates... but are better than 3rd party....

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
... Garmin is only as up to date as you do the updates... but are better than 3rd party....
I used to do the updates on our Bonanza's Garmin GPS; every 3 months if you wanted to be current for IFR. IIRC, you had to use a 'special' smart card; off-the-shelf wouldn't do and, of course, it required a trip to the airport (no simple feat given the security requirements at San Jose International at the time). Kind of a PITA, and the airway info didn't change nearly as much/often as roads (but notifications, etc. came fast and furious).

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Guys please switch over to the main map thread. We need your input and you may need ours.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Current will never happen... 3rd party maps are usualy 2-3 years behind (Ford, Kenwood etc...) Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze, those are most current because they use your phones data line to update maps. Garmin is only as up to date as you do the updates... but are better than 3rd party....
Google may be doing updates all the time but they are far from being current. A new development went in near my sons house and a friend purchased a house in another new development. In both cases it was about a year and a half after the first houses were built before the roads showed up in Google Maps. Also, my wifes factory nav uses Garmin maps and neither of the developments show up.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Google may be doing updates all the time but they are far from being current. A new development went in near my sons house and a friend purchased a house in another new development. In both cases it was about a year and a half after the first houses were built before the roads showed up in Google Maps. Also, my wifes factory nav uses Garmin maps and neither of the developments show up.
Dave, this conversation went over to the main thread. Please delete and repost.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
I just don’t get this. Use car play. Google maps and be done. Who cares about sync.
Sponsored