Flat Rock Assembly Plant Trip Report

Mustangchief

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kona Blue GT
Enjoy the time there Tony, as much as we all would like you to be our newshound, there is so much to take in during a short tour. Don't miss opportunities to see cool things because you are looking through a lens.
Sponsored

mitchell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Couple of quick comments...

The line is not running.
There are many body parts racked.
There are convertible bodies assembled but not painted.
Dave Pericak is here.
Not surprising the line is not running. It's down for this week and they are using the time for tours etc.

Enjoy yourself, lots to see there.

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
you'd think there would be some kind of notice that was happening lol.

how'd it sound?

the instagram video that someone posted (topnotch i think? maybe you) is almost all tire sound and no engine :/
It sounded amazing :)

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Don't miss opportunities to see cool things because you are looking through a lens.
Yes...Enjoy, then take Pictures.

I like going to Concerts. I wonder to myself, why are all the clowns recording it with cellphones instead of enjoying the show...I swear, at a Roger Water's concert (The Wall) over half of the people were looking at & through the phone instead of the incredible show taking place-->:crazy:

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I've got a lot of photos that I need to re-size, but I am posting the ones that include things that I haven't seen in person until now.

Here are a few things that were new to me -
1) inside the glovebox of the Ruby Red EB, there was a little yellow button that opened up a small glovebox within the glovebox

2) I had a chance to sit in the Recaros. They are very nice and will be a joy to those who like the extra bolstering of a performance seat. I still prefer the standard seats for daily driver duties, based on my size.

3) I had a chance to feel the shifter. Dave P. described as "satisfying and precise". I agree with that assessment. I do not have a comparison basis with the '11-'14 shifters. What I felt was very positive gates, very easy to slide into and find each gear, no significant "looseness" in the shifter action, and reasonable travel. Some might like a shorter throw, but I definitely did not see a need to swtich out to something else from the immediate feel.

4) the saddle color looks darker than the early version I saw back in January

5) the 18" optional "foundry wheels" look really good in person to me; I won't immediately change them to a 19" wheel like I had thought I would do earlier

6) competition orange is excellent in person; I liked the way it looked in both the brighter and dimmer lights (saw it inside the plant): someone posted "tomato orange" but I think it is less "tomatoey" and more "orange", similar to the 2004 hue

7) the seat straps have a little magnetic attachment point so you can easily loop the seat belt in and then secure it without "threading the needle"

8) the base cloth interior seats are great; they benefit from the same form construction of the leather-covered ones, and they are grippy

Every single plant person I talked to was pumped and aware of the legacy of building this car. Several of them remarked about the responsibility they had, knowing this car would be sold around the world. Everyone was committed to building the best Mustang ever. They have been preparing with tons of training, build process finalization, the multiple waves of cars we have seen.
DSC00737[1].jpg
DSC00740[1].jpg
DSC00742[1].jpg
DSC00804[1].jpg
DSC00833[1].jpg
DSC00835[1].jpg
DSC00839[1].jpg
DSC00759[1].jpg
DSC00747[1].jpg

Sponsored

Robinson02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black 5.0
man that is really nice! Thanks Tony!
I am not sure if i like the prior saddle better or the darker, but both sure look nice.

Also,
+1 for those amazing black pictures. I am not sure why people say that the black washes out the lines. They all look amazing.

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
Great pics and writeup, Tony. It's great having so many people here to provide us with all these early peeks and info.

I'm glad to hear the base cloth is good quality. Maybe base GT with PP, or base EB with PP are a good way to go then.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
were there any Mustang pony's in the windshields?

and robinson, that is one of the better pictures of black I have seen :thumbsup:

Sponsored

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
Nice, a cubby for the Owner Manual.

I hate my jetta, every time I open the glove box, the owner manual slides out of its holder onto the seat.

Of course, I don't lose sleep over it. But still...

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
Oh, and the base radio shows a clock icon on that one, so it seems no Satellite for base radio.

SLVRBACK

Tuna on white, no crust
Threads
Reaction score
Nice, a cubby for the Owner Manual.

I hate my jetta, every time I open the glove box, the owner manual slides out of its holder onto the seat.

Of course, I don't lose sleep over it. But still...
Plus, Jettas smell like crayons. Or was that just mine?