22GT

22GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2020 f150 xlt, 2013 avenger 3.6l, 2017 f350 srw xl
Oh no. Is that scheduled shutdowns I'm assuming?
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The Feb/March shutdown is for scheduled maintenance apparently.

gjbroder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
The shift from a just-in-time inventory approach toward a just-in-case system, means demand could be sustained as extra inventories are built up. Resilience and national security are also part of the equation. The chip-foundry side of the business is extremely concentrated: Taiwan’s TSMC accounts for 54% of total global chip production and 90% of the advanced chips, with South Korea’s Samsung producing the remaining 10% share. As the cliché goes, “semiconductors are the new oil.” There are obvious geopolitical risks associated with such a concentration in one region, to say nothing of natural-disaster risks. To mitigate these risks, many U.S. companies are planning to build their own foundries and/or buy more of their chips from foundries located outside of Asia—including in the United States.

Quoted from Schwab investment news about chip supply .

Sponsored

Call_Me_Bruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, Toyota Avalon,
The shift from a just-in-time inventory approach toward a just-in-case system, means demand could be sustained as extra inventories are built up. Resilience and national security are also part of the equation. The chip-foundry side of the business is extremely concentrated: Taiwan’s TSMC accounts for 54% of total global chip production and 90% of the advanced chips, with South Korea’s Samsung producing the remaining 10% share. As the cliché goes, “semiconductors are the new oil.” There are obvious geopolitical risks associated with such a concentration in one region, to say nothing of natural-disaster risks. To mitigate these risks, many U.S. companies are planning to build their own foundries and/or buy more of their chips from foundries located outside of Asia—including in the United States.

Quoted from Schwab investment news about chip supply .
This is a smart move, but it will be at least a year or two before these foundries come online. The current national leadership needs to review their history books on how FDR got American industry spun up to support the war effort. That needs to be duplicated quickly.

Call_Me_Bruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, Toyota Avalon,
Man that is really going to suck for the late availability colors. Purple and green. They start 2/7
Yep, I ordered the Eruption Green on 11/15. I have not gotten my production date as of yet. Looking more and more like March at the earliest.

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium

Quoted from Schwab investment news about chip supply.
I'd be willing to bet that US companies fuck it up since they never understand JIT manufacturing and fucked that up.

The main driving force of a lean system is to reduce waste and some corporate slapdicks browsed over a PowerPoint and saw that inventory is a source of waste so they all decided to cut inventory so basically nothing not realizing that
  1. Japan is a very small landmass compared to the United States so Toyota is able to get inventory from any corner of Japan relatively quickly (at least prior to car manufacturing being as global as it is now).
  2. There are different kinds of inventories. Having a million bolts or plastic clips on hand that can be made 1000s of different companies is a source of waste. But having a 6month backup of super specialized silicone that can be made by only 2 or 3 companies and whose manufacturing time needs to be scheduled a year in advanced is not waste.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Taiwan’s TSMC accounts for 54% of total global chip production and 90% of the advanced chips, with South Korea’s Samsung producing the remaining 10% share.
TSMC does the advanced chips (on advanced process). The automotive segment is supplied by the companies like Samsung, NXP, ST, TI, Renesas ...

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
This is a smart move, but it will be at least a year or two before these foundries come online. The current national leadership needs to review their history books on how FDR got American industry spun up to support the war effort. That needs to be duplicated quickly.
Shame a certain party is holding that bill hostage and the other party is too spineless to do anything about it.

Sponsored

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
Thanks. Kind of strange that it list the other Ford products as 2022 but the Mustang continues to be 2021. I guess 2022 Mustangs don’t exist at all

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thanks. Kind of strange that it list the other Ford products as 2022 but the Mustang continues to be 2021. I guess 2022 Mustangs don’t exist at all
I'm sure this is just a typo. Just like the configurator says the Mustang has a moonroof. :facepalm:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Man that is really going to suck for the late availability colors. Purple and green. They start 2/7
So if this is actually a scheduled closing it shouldn't impact any existing orders. Their system is already taking the closing into account.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
So if this is actually a scheduled closing it shouldn't impact any existing orders. Their system is already taking the closing into account.
Well it means a lot of those orders get pushed back 3 weeks and then the HP cars are scheduled start of march right? A lot of the HP cars have a better priority code from being reorders, etc. That could easily mean a couple month delay depending on how long the HP orders take to catch up. I assumed they'd have plenty of time to crank out non HP cars before production started up again. If your car is already scheduled the closing might just push you back the 3 weeks.

OP
OP
22GT

22GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2020 f150 xlt, 2013 avenger 3.6l, 2017 f350 srw xl
I found a few videos on YouTube of 2022mustangs. They are out there on dealer lots already.
Sponsored