Sponsored

Fixing those front plates on!!

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Would be possible to put a bend in a plastic plate with a vice, a heat gun, some patience, practice and confidence!
Sponsored

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
I'm sure you would have been pulled by now if the police had a problem with your plates, either that or they're blind ;)
Not really the police you'd have a problem with (unless they pulled you for something else and were being picky) it's more that non BS plates are an MOT fail so you may as well get proper ones for a few quid more (and it is only a few quid - the Ali ones I got were £28)

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Would be possible to put a bend in a plastic plate with a vice, a heat gun, some patience, practice and confidence!
I did think of trying that initially but decided that
A) I didn't want to be driving around with the dealer's name on my car anywhere and more importantly

B) I couldn't be arsed :D:D

Greg C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
Get a "sto n sho" from CJ Pony Parts. Mounts the plate lower down so you will see your stripes in full. Also you can then use whatever plate you like. They do a euro version now & can be removed for shows, pictures, washing car etc. Had mine on for two months now & very easy to fit. :)
image.jpg

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Not really the police you'd have a problem with (unless they pulled you for something else and were being picky) it's more that non BS plates are an MOT fail so you may as well get proper ones for a few quid more (and it is only a few quid - the Ali ones I got were £28)
Agree, I don't think the police are going to pull you for a slightly iffy plate on its own and if they did it would likely be a "get it sorted" situation. Regarding the MOT; that's nearly three years away and I already have about 4 sets of plates (couldn't decide on what I liked...). I say go with what you want.

Oh, and i'm also with Greg on the sto n sho but I get that they're not everyone's taste.

Sponsored

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Agree, I don't think the police are going to pull you for a slightly iffy plate on its own and if they did it would likely be a "get it sorted" situation. Regarding the MOT; that's nearly three years away and I already have about 4 sets of plates (couldn't decide on what I liked...). I say go with what you want.

Oh, and i'm also with Greg on the sto n sho but I get that they're not everyone's taste.
I would also have been with Greg on the Sto n Sho but my dealer ignored my instructions not to fit the horrible plastic mounts and drilled the bumper :frusty::headbonk::tsk:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I would also have been with Greg on the Sto n Sho but my dealer ignored my instructions not to fit the horrible plastic mounts and drilled the bumper :frusty::headbonk::tsk:
Man, that's annoying. I specifically asked them not to drill my front bumper as I had the bracket and they didn't, however I didn't say don't drill the rear one. You'd think they might ask...nah.

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Man, that's annoying. I specifically asked them not to drill my front bumper as I had the bracket and they didn't, however I didn't say don't drill the rear one. You'd think they might ask...nah.
They did however stick the plates to the mounts which is how they interpreted the instruction. :doh:

You can't fix stupid.

NornIron91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mine are aluminium plates stuck on with 3M dual lock pads. On the front I stacked a couple of foam pads on the plate where the bend is so it wouldn't rub on the car's paint.
IMG_1224JPG.jpg

Greg C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
That sucks. My dealer called me to tell me the car was in before being pdi'd etc so I could look at the car. I took away the plastic number plate holders with me so they could not use them. I also spoke to the workshop guy & told him on no account to screw plates to either the front or rear bumper & to use sticky pads or leave the plates off for me to fix myself. They used sticky pads on the rear plate & just put the front one inside the windscreen for me to fix myself once I decided what to do. I drove around for a couple of weeks until the sto n show arrived. I would have been very unhappy if they had messed up my bumpers.

Sponsored

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
That sucks. My dealer called me to tell me the car was in before being pdi'd etc so I could look at the car. I took away the plastic number plate holders with me so they could not use them. I also spoke to the workshop guy & told him on no account to screw plates to either the front or rear bumper & to use sticky pads or leave the plates off for me to fix myself. They used sticky pads on the rear plate & just put the front one inside the windscreen for me to fix myself once I decided what to do. I drove around for a couple of weeks until the sto n show arrived. I would have been very unhappy if they had messed up my bumpers.
Yep - I was very unhappy but the only things they could do are either fill and paint or get a new bumper and paint, neither of which I trust them to do without fking it up, so I've gone with the Ali plates and covered the holes :rant:

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Yep - I was very unhappy but the only things they could do are either fill and paint or get a new bumper and paint, neither of which I trust them to do without fking it up, so I've gone with the Ali plates and covered the holes :rant:
Its funny when i was at Henley on the Gowings stand, we got talking about the number plate holders as he said my front was so much thinner then the Euro ones. And he makes sure that he asks the buyer if they want them screwed on or not, as they are so dam horrible

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Or, don't bother fitting the front !!!

I have a private plate with 6 digits, I bought a 13" plate for front and rear, the rear is stuck to the car. The front however is sitting on the dashboard and has never been fitted to the car. I have been past the Police and owned the car since end March and had no problem since. Until I have a problem with the police I will not fit it, looks so much better and seeing as I'm in America at present and most of the cars I have seen have no front plate fitted.

Been thinking about a sto n go thing but at present am happy with it.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Or, don't bother fitting the front !!!

I have a private plate with 6 digits, I bought a 13" plate for front and rear, the rear is stuck to the car. The front however is sitting on the dashboard and has never been fitted to the car. I have been past the Police and owned the car since end March and had no problem since. Until I have a problem with the police I will not fit it, looks so much better and seeing as I'm in America at present and most of the cars I have seen have no front plate fitted.

Been thinking about a sto n go thing but at present am happy with it.
Just get a StoNSho. US GTPP version. Its what I have and it works well with a smaller plate.

Install takes minutes and it gives you the option over what to do with the plate.

Entick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Coupe
Get a "sto n sho" from CJ Pony Parts. Mounts the plate lower down so you will see your stripes in full. Also you can then use whatever plate you like. They do a euro version now & can be removed for shows, pictures, washing car etc. Had mine on for two months now & very easy to fit. :)
Greg - do you have any pics of this from the side? Want to see how much it sticks out.

thanks
Sponsored