First wash

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
We also have fairly hard water, Mark, and I installed a treatment system about fifteen years ago that knocks the TDS down to about 300ppm. That still wasn't soft enough to my liking so I picked up a DIC20 and the additional softener brought it down to about 100ppm. That did the trick and now after blow drying, I rarely find a water spot. HIGHLY recommended.
We have a softener system for inside the house but I didn’t hook it up to the outside lines. Probably should’ve done that 🤦‍♂️.
Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
We have a softener system for inside the house but I didn’t hook it up to the outside lines. Probably should’ve done that 🤦‍♂️.
I guess I shouldn't gripe. My TDS is sub 100 out of the tap (like 75 I believe), but it sure does spot if I don't dry quickly. My cheap filter system brings it down to virtually zero :)

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Just saw this thread..I applied Gyeon Pure a couple months back and just washed my car 2 days ago and the soap and water was beading like crazy and it was almost dry after the rinse..Put it this way used a cheap walmart blower ( barely did anything ) to get around the corners and dried the rest of the car with 2 microfiber towels.

C-WOODS-70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'65 A-Code coupe, '67 A-Code coupe, '22 GT PP 6MT
Hybrid Ceramic Detailer is one of Meguiar's absolute best products! Use that as a drying aid after the wash and you will keep the coating maintained and help limit towel induced swirls.

IMG-2587.jpg
Does this product add ceramic to paint that last any significant amount of time, or will it wear off pretty quick? If my paint is perfect will this add much shine factor to it?

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Does this product add ceramic to paint that last any significant amount of time, or will it wear off pretty quick? If my paint is perfect will this add much shine factor to it?
It's an Si02 Quick Detailer, so any "ceramic" it adds will only be short lived. Having said that, its super easy to apply and achieves great gloss and slickness. Not Bead Maker slick, but pleasant.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
..but I didn’t hook it up to the outside lines.
I just checked and water softeners first made the scene in the early 1900's with Mr. Culligan. Back then, no one was even remotely thinking about washing vehicles and water spots. <smile> Consequently, they came up with the idea to bypass the exterior spigots in order to reduce the consumption of salt by avoiding things like lawn and shrub watering with softened water.

We are on septic in this part of town and have a water well for lawn irrigation so, when I put in our treatment system back in '08, there wasn't anything I could do about the internal plumbing but not needing to irrigate with City water and knowing that it would help with vehicle washing, I wasn't worried about additional salt usage.

BUT, dang sorry your outdoor spigots are bypassed, Mark. No way to put a garden hose adapter on a faucet in the house?

I guess I shouldn't gripe. My TDS is sub 100 out of the tap (like 75 I believe), but it sure does spot if I don't dry quickly. My cheap filter system brings it down to virtually zero
First off, I can't tell you how envious I am of your 75ppm, Alex! (lucky bastid) <grin> @WD Pro is another fortunate car washer with a sub 100 TDS water supply.

But what is this "cheap filter system" that reduces it to near zero? I assume you meant an additional softening device, not a filter per se, since filters only remove sediment, not dissolved solids.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
First off, I can't tell you how envious I am of your 75ppm, Alex! (lucky bastid) <grin> @WD Pro is another fortunate car washer with a sub 100 TDS water supply.

But what is this "cheap filter system" that reduces it to near zero? I assume you meant an additional softening device, not a filter per se, since filters only remove sediment, not dissolved solids.
It's made by Enviq. I got from Scamazon. It's uses resin just like a CR spotless. But way cheaper.

Envig CarShine Deionized... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNY28WKJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
No way to put a garden hose adapter on a faucet in the house?
I could. I have a tub sink in the basement that has a basic faucet that I can screw the hose right to. And I do use 100’ hoses so that could work. I may give it a try now that you put the idea in my head…

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
It's made by Enviq.
Yep, figured it had to be another softener rig, Alex, well done. Definitely cheaper and I see that it uses cartridges which is the only way to go. Loose resin is a huge PITA because refilling cannisters with it inevitably results in a spillage and those tiny round balls turn a surface like a garage floor into a skating rink! <grin>

I didn't do the volume calculations for the three cannister model but they are ten inchers while the DIC20 only has two but, they're twenty inchers. Rough math tells me that the Enviq rig would not deliver enough softening for my 300 TDS water but, it should be perfect for the smaller drop in TDS your water needs. Excellent choice as the DIC20 would have probably been overkill for your situation.

I may give it a try now that you put the idea in my head…
Growing up in Ohio Mark, my Dad and I washed our cars in the garage during the winter. Unlike here where homes are on concrete slabs, we too had a basement and oh do I miss it! So, we had hot and cold water in the garage with a big drain, and we hooked the hose directly to the laundry tub spigot.

That's what made me suggest connecting somewhere in the house. It will be a semi PITA dealing with the hose and stairs but with a lightweight, flexible hose, it shouldn't be too bad.

Do let us know how it works out if you try it.

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Most of the discussion in this post has been regarding the "chemistry" of washing. On another issue, I would suggest, that to avoid "swirl marks," you always work in straight line fore-and-aft motions when doing anything that touches painted surfaces, whether washing or drying.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Most of the discussion in this post has been regarding the "chemistry" of washing. On another issue, I would suggest, that to avoid "swirl marks," you always work in straight line fore-and-aft motions when doing anything that touches painted surfaces, whether washing or drying.
To be fair, you’re not really seeing swirls. The reason they show up as swirls is due to the light source being round. Flashlights, sun, headlamps…all round. If you use a flat square light they won’t show as swirls. So it’s less about how you wash and dry and more about what’s contaminating your media when you’re doing both.

Watch this video from around the 8:00 mark:

Last edited:

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
check out the washing detailing section of the forum.
Otherwise Ammo NYC Academy or Obsessed Garage
Sponsored