Sponsored

First time in Summit Point doing TrackCross

umarov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CO Premium PP
GetFast events organized a TrackCross at Summit Point. Similar to AutoX, but no cones, no work assignments and you drive in a chunk of a track. It's timed the same way. There are vehicle classes too.
Coming into this event, I was a bit nervous. Weather forecast was showing rain all day initially. Then it moved to the afternoon. As I was driving to Summit Point from Northern VA, it was very foggy the last 40 minutes of the drive.
As I arrived, I met few S550 drivers. Passed inspection and registered. Then soon after, there was a drivers meeting and we lined up for the first heat. I put my self in the Street RWD Over 2.5L NA + All FI class. Since I have already done an HPDE (in NCCAR) and another TrackCross (in Dominion Raceway), I didn't put myself in the novice group.

Morning heat's track was pretty tight. Not a very high speed track and it was still slippery. I kept the car in Sport+ mode. Here is my personal best run:

As you will see in the video, I missed the second gear shift :doh::doh::doh:. It happens to me pretty frequently when I am trying to shift fast lol. In my afternoon runs, I was better about it.

Between the heats, I was able to get on the skid pad. Here is the short video of my non-embarrassing parts.

That was my second try. First try, I tried the skid pad with Track Mode. I was getting intense vibrations from the rear. Probably ABS. It didn't let me spin, but it didn't let me drift either. It would cut the power once it sensed that I was sliding at an angle.
Then in my second time around, I turned AdvanceTrac off. I started spinning out lol. But in that video, I had two attempts where I was able to hold the drift for a few seconds, but I was getting the vibrations and power cut off again. It's weird.

Afternoon track was higher speed and definitely more fun. Track dried up more, so I put the car in Track mode. Since it's my first time here, my first few runs were pretty slow. I was learning the track. Then my last two were pretty good runs.

After watching the video multiple times, I can see that I could definitely shave off some time. But that will be for the next time.

Here are the results of the times:
Round 1 Morning: all times by class / by fastest overall
Round 2 Afternoon: all times by class / by fastest overall

This event look at the last bits of the stock Pirellis. I am upgrading to a square 285/35R19 Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires all around with 19x10 SVE GT7 wheels.

I am already looking forward to the next track day.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
I totally left my gopro at home that morning

dharts9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
GetFast events organized a TrackCross at Summit Point. Similar to AutoX, but no cones, no work assignments and you drive in a chunk of a track. It's timed the same way. There are vehicle classes too.
Coming into this event, I was a bit nervous. Weather forecast was showing rain all day initially. Then it moved to the afternoon. As I was driving to Summit Point from Northern VA, it was very foggy the last 40 minutes of the drive.
As I arrived, I met few S550 drivers. Passed inspection and registered. Then soon after, there was a drivers meeting and we lined up for the first heat. I put my self in the Street RWD Over 2.5L NA + All FI class. Since I have already done an HPDE (in NCCAR) and another TrackCross (in Dominion Raceway), I didn't put myself in the novice group.

Morning heat's track was pretty tight. Not a very high speed track and it was still slippery. I kept the car in Sport+ mode. Here is my personal best run:

As you will see in the video, I missed the second gear shift :doh::doh::doh:. It happens to me pretty frequently when I am trying to shift fast lol. In my afternoon runs, I was better about it.

Between the heats, I was able to get on the skid pad. Here is the short video of my non-embarrassing parts.

That was my second try. First try, I tried the skid pad with Track Mode. I was getting intense vibrations from the rear. Probably ABS. It didn't let me spin, but it didn't let me drift either. It would cut the power once it sensed that I was sliding at an angle.
Then in my second time around, I turned AdvanceTrac off. I started spinning out lol. But in that video, I had two attempts where I was able to hold the drift for a few seconds, but I was getting the vibrations and power cut off again. It's weird.

Afternoon track was higher speed and definitely more fun. Track dried up more, so I put the car in Track mode. Since it's my first time here, my first few runs were pretty slow. I was learning the track. Then my last two were pretty good runs.

After watching the video multiple times, I can see that I could definitely shave off some time. But that will be for the next time.

Here are the results of the times:
Round 1 Morning: all times by class / by fastest overall
Round 2 Afternoon: all times by class / by fastest overall

This event look at the last bits of the stock Pirellis. I am upgrading to a square 285/35R19 Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires all around with 19x10 SVE GT7 wheels.

I am already looking forward to the next track day.
just came across this...ive heard some great things about Summit Point. I'm currently looking to do my first HPDE soon just trying to decide on one.

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP (x2), 2016 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
just came across this...ive heard some great things about Summit Point. I'm currently looking to do my first HPDE soon just trying to decide on one.
Come on out!!! Oct 13-14 will be on the Jefferson track. I really like it, not as fast as main and less technical, less tight turns than Shenandoah. The paddoc is all grass over there, so it tends to be cooler as well....Friday evening meal is also provided.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Come on out!!! Oct 13-14 will be on the Jefferson track. I really like it, not as fast as main and less technical, less tight turns than Shenandoah. The paddoc is all grass over there, so it tends to be cooler as well....Friday evening meal is also provided.
Which org is that with ? I am looking for an event soon .

Sponsored

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Like the TrackCross concept. One thing I hate about AutoX is it's in parking lots, which are often poorly maintained (i.e., lots of cracks and patches) and very needlessly rough on the car and the driver for just a short thrill.

As for the driving, I haven't driven this course myself so my feedback has a degree of unqualification but, from what I can see, you are leaving some easy time on the table -- do you get instruction? Also raise up that camera! :)

Don't launch the car like a drag strip, first of all... there should be no wheel hop. Better to launch quick but smooth and be fully prepared and settled for the first turns at a higher speed than having to process launch grip/wheel hop and prepare.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Llike the concept. I haven't driven this course myself so my feedback is a little bit unwarranted but, from what I can see, you are leaving time on the table -- do you get instruction? Also raise up that camera!

No instruction , the course is different each time . Yes there is time left on the course . I can see if in the video as well , but I wasn't reviewing the video while I was there .

I was also taking it quite easy after the morning session yielded this for an unfortunate driver.
56847849369-09-F3807-F-ACB0-4579-922-F-DB166-DF5-E1-BF.jpg

First time with that camera setup too .

Last edited:
OP
OP
umarov

umarov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CO Premium PP
Like the TrackCross concept. One thing I hate about AutoX is it's in parking lots, which are often poorly maintained (i.e., lots of cracks and patches) and very needlessly rough on the car and the driver for just a short thrill.

As for the driving, I haven't driven this course myself so my feedback has a degree of unqualification but, from what I can see, you are leaving some easy time on the table -- do you get instruction? Also raise up that camera! :)

Don't launch the car like a drag strip, first of all... there should be no wheel hop. Better to launch quick but smooth and be fully prepared and settled for the first turns at a higher speed than having to process launch grip/wheel hop and prepare.
Not sure if this comment this for me. I think it was my first time at summit point. I really want to go an HPDE there. But I don't think I have the budget for it. I didn't commit to full season in Summit Point in 2018. I did a full season in Dominion Raceway, though.

This season I will be doing an HPDE at Dominion Raceway (and maybe VIR). I won my class in the Track Cross championship at Dominion Raceway in 2018, but I feel like I can be faster. Hopefully with an instructor, I can improve some of my weak points.

Sponsored

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You get 4-5 runs per session (morning / afternoon)
This looks like fun...Shenandoah can be a very challenging track. Driving that bowl is both scary and fun at the same time!

https://www.wdcr-scca.org/hpde

Come out with us and drive the whole track! My understanding is that there is a more favorable 'work & play' setup this year. Previous years have been work 3 events and get a free track day. I did that several times not only to get the free track day but working a corner (any corner), you get to watch people do it right and wrong. Most cost effective way to drive faster IMHO....

dharts9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This looks like fun...Shenandoah can be a very challenging track. Driving that bowl is both scary and fun at the same time!

https://www.wdcr-scca.org/hpde

Come out with us and drive the whole track! My understanding is that there is a more favorable 'work & play' setup this year. Previous years have been work 3 events and get a free track day. I did that several times not only to get the free track day but working a corner (any corner), you get to watch people do it right and wrong. Most cost effective way to drive faster IMHO....
That’s great to know! How do you go about signing up to work? Are you going to any events soon?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I've found that the best way into the bowl is to approach it about 1/4 or 1/3 over the high side and wait for the exit bump before getting liberal with the gas.

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That’s great to know! How do you go about signing up to work? Are you going to any events soon?
Heading to the track today!! HPDE tomorrow and Sunday...on Summit Main!!! FAST TRACK!!
You can sign up at www.motorsportsreg.com
Sponsored