first bolt on mods help

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
This is my first car that I can actually mod and I have tried to do intensive research on increasing performance without going forced induction.

Bolt ons that I have in mind are:
- Ford Performance Borla Sport Cat back
- C and L Racer CAI
- GT350 intake manifold & TB
- LT Headers.

I am open to any suggestions especially on the headers selection. I know the headers are suppose to match up with the the manifold so does that mean if I do the 350 manifold, I would need 350 headers? if so Is it worth the money to do the bigger manifold? Also, with the headers I know they are going to be loud but if there are ones that won't be as loud I would like to know or if I could put a muffler on it will that decrease performance?

sorry for the basic questions, just trying to make sure I have this build plan right.

Side note: I live in Virginia/Maryland so temps are not too bad and 93 fuel is everywhere.
Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
One consideration when doing LT headers is the exhaust. Corsa extreme exhausts are nice with factory exhaust manifolds. My son did Corsa extreme catless with LTH and they are NASCAR loud. If that's what you want great. Just something to look at in your research. Do you have E85 around there along with 93?

Eperuza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Biggsy,

First thing I would try to consider are the goals for your car to avoid backtracking on parts. Do you want to keep the car N/A (naturally aspirated) or do you want boost?

When it comes to headers, don't cheap out. Some will tell you they had "Speed Daddy" ebay headers work great, and good for them, but if you are trying to mod the car yourself, investing in quality headers will make installing them easier (no fitment issues). I personally went with the Corsa LT Headers. They fit great and install wasn't as bad as what people make them say. Love the sound paired with Corsa Sport Catback. The intake manifold you pick has no influence on the headers. Turbocharged vehicles use shorties though.

The bigger manifold is worth it for sure for both boosted and naturally aspirated applications. Cobra Jet is king for naturally aspirated cars. I personally have the gt350 manifold and stock tb because I'd like to eventually throw on a Procharger. Again, making your decision should be based on the goals for YOUR car.

As far as the CAI, PMAS and JLT perform the best.

You have a decent amount of options for custom tunes as well: Lund Racing, Palm Beach Dyno, AED, Sai Li... I personally chose Lund Racing. They will get you squared away very quickly.

If you're trying to avoid boost, I'd get a Cobra Jet Manifold, PMAS CAI, VMP dual throttle body, long tube headers of your choice and a full catback of your choice with a custom tune from one of the vendors mentioned above.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang 5.0
Biggsy as mentioned above, if you have plans to even go boost in the future, it might be a good idea to hold off on headers till you decide on what direction you want to ultimately go with the car.

If your run a Gt350 manifold, you can still run GT headers. upgrading your manifolds are a good upgrade either direction you go down the line. Whether you go gt350, 18 manifold, boss or cobra jet. If you port the 350, 18 or boss manifold it will be close to the gains that stock CJ setup would yield.

We can set you up with any of these modifications and a Lund tune here at Lethal Performance, just shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
One consideration when doing LT headers is the exhaust. Corsa extreme exhausts are nice with factory exhaust manifolds. My son did Corsa extreme catless with LTH and they are NASCAR loud. If that's what you want great. Just something to look at in your research. Do you have E85 around there along with 93?
No e85 within driving distance. Just 1 according to department of energy. But what you said makes sense. Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Biggsy,

First thing I would try to consider are the goals for your car to avoid backtracking on parts. Do you want to keep the car N/A (naturally aspirated) or do you want boost?

When it comes to headers, don't cheap out. Some will tell you they had "Speed Daddy" ebay headers work great, and good for them, but if you are trying to mod the car yourself, investing in quality headers will make installing them easier (no fitment issues). I personally went with the Corsa LT Headers. They fit great and install wasn't as bad as what people make them say. Love the sound paired with Corsa Sport Catback. The intake manifold you pick has no influence on the headers. Turbocharged vehicles use shorties though.

The bigger manifold is worth it for sure for both boosted and naturally aspirated applications. Cobra Jet is king for naturally aspirated cars. I personally have the gt350 manifold and stock tb because I'd like to eventually throw on a Procharger. Again, making your decision should be based on the goals for YOUR car.

As far as the CAI, PMAS and JLT perform the best.

You have a decent amount of options for custom tunes as well: Lund Racing, Palm Beach Dyno, AED, Sai Li... I personally chose Lund Racing. They will get you squared away very quickly.

If you're trying to avoid boost, I'd get a Cobra Jet Manifold, PMAS CAI, VMP dual throttle body, long tube headers of your choice and a full catback of your choice with a custom tune from one of the vendors mentioned above.

Really appreciate the explanation. I was wondering what people meant by CJ manifold. But I think I'll so the 350 manifold because I can keep my hood for the time being until decide to go SC probably next year. Was leaning toward Lund Racing because I've seen good reviews including you. Thanks again

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
List looks solid, I would opt for the JLT or PMAS for a CAI though over the C&L. For tuning I'd take a look at Lund racing and as far as exhaust, as already noted, extremes are LOUD with headers with or without cats.

As for the Manifold, a ported 18 manifold is a solid 400 dollars less and will net you close to the GT350, for the TB, I'd stick to the stock TB though. The FRPP Catback, we've tested and personally didn't like the sound with headers. Corsa sports, AWE Touring, MBRP Streets, Thermal R&D are a few I personally found appealing with headers but that's subjective.

Hopefully that helps, if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact us and bend our ear a little.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
for the TB, I'd stick to the stock TB though.
Thanks for your input but you guys said I should stick to stock TB. Are you talking about using my 5.0 TB with an adapter vs the GT350 87mm? If so, why would I go with the smaller TB?

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
Thanks for your input but you guys said I should stick to stock TB. Are you talking about using my 5.0 TB with an adapter vs the GT350 87mm? If so, why would I go with the smaller TB?
Tuning, many tuners had had drivability issues with the gt350 TB.

Eperuza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
[MENTION=9610]jayman33[/MENTION] can get you squared away with any purchase. I'm team Hypermotive all day. I think you just need to look around the internet and find an exhaust tone that you enjoy because it is indeed subjective.

The 350 Manifold makes good gains, pricier than the 18 manifold, but still outperforms it, up to you which route you want to take. Stock TB is easier to tune and has better drivability. When I inquired with Lund initially, I was provided a dyno graph comparing the two and stock made 3 more RWHP and had better drivability than 350.

I made through an auto car, 3.55 gears on Lund's FF tune (E85) a solid 437RWHP and 378TQ with a 350 Manifold, Stock TB, Roush CAI, LU47 injectors, full Corsa exhaust (headers to tips). I'd recommend PMAS or JLT like [MENTION=9610]jayman33[/MENTION] suggested for your CAI as they have proven themselves on the track and the dyno.

-Jeremy

Sponsored
OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
[MENTION=9610]jayman33[/MENTION]

I made through an auto car, 3.55 gears on Lund's FF tune (E85) a solid 437RWHP and 378TQ with a 350 Manifold, Stock TB, Roush CAI, LU47 injectors, full Corsa exhaust (headers to tips). I'd recommend PMAS or JLT like [MENTION=9610]jayman33[/MENTION] suggested for your CAI as they have proven themselves on the track and the dyno.

-Jeremy
Thanks! I was dead set on the FRPP Borla but I did a couple listening sessions and now I prefer the Corsa Sport and I'm leaning towards them for hers as well. How is the noise? I can't be too obnoxious because I leaves for work at 5am.

Also what do you use for TB adapter?

Eperuza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I got the blowfish throttle body adapter form CJ pony parts but I think the MMR one is built better. You can order it off their website directly or from the top vendors.

I have the corsa sports with the corsa headers. Its not that loud and doesn't drone at all. My cold start isn't too loud and the car is tamed pretty well under 2k RPM and opens up a bunch under WOT. Again, I'm sure there are tons of videos out there for you to listen to.
Sponsored