55Tele

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
Background:

2021 GT with 1100 miles…..totally understand that the trans has the adaptive / learning feature. Earlier this week, at about 40 to 45mph (not sure what gear, but probably 10th), had vibration……added throttle and vibration got worse…more vibration than engine lugging (in my opinion). Added more throttle and it finally down shifted with a light “clunk”. No warning lights came on…Have now driven another 150 miles without incident. This happened in Drive / Normal mode.

I know nobody likes this behavior, but anyone experienced a similar condition?…….Nothing like this happened prior to this incident……engine was at normal operating temp, but trans was probably not totally up to temp………I was not leaning into the throttle…I had about 15 min into the ride and I know the trans takes a good 30min min to get to 150F….

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
55Tele

55Tele

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
What specifically does it do when it acts ”possessed”? And do you mean Sport or Sport +?

87txag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium / 2021 Bronco Wildtrack
Interesting. My normal mode is a dog. It feels like I’m running bad gas. Put some throttle to it and it just acts like it has no power. Sport, sport + modes seem fine.

Sponsored

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Background:

2021 GT with 1100 miles…..totally understand that the trans has the adaptive / learning feature. Earlier this week, at about 40 to 45mph (not sure what gear, but probably 10th), had vibration……added throttle and vibration got worse…more vibration than engine lugging (in my opinion). Added more throttle and it finally down shifted with a light “clunk”. No warning lights came on…Have now driven another 150 miles without incident. This happened in Drive / Normal mode.

I know nobody likes this behavior, but anyone experienced a similar condition?…….Nothing like this happened prior to this incident……engine was at normal operating temp, but trans was probably not totally up to temp………I was not leaning into the throttle…I had about 15 min into the ride and I know the trans takes a good 30min min to get to 150F….

Thoughts?
This does happen to me. Maybe once a month. I have an ecoboost mustang so if it were engine related, I would think it would happen more easily to me.. To me it feels like the car is bogged down and lugging. EXCEPT, I don't think its the engine producing that feeling. Because the revs and exhaust note hold steady and normal. I cant seem to figure out when or under what conditions it happens. Its hard for me to reproduce.

Also, I think the biggest problem with the 10R80 is how fast - or rather how slow - it gets up to temperature. And I think this is where most of my problems with the 10R80 come from. 200F is NORMAL operating temperature according to Ford. I personally have never seen my temps get above 160F and that's with with hours worth of driving on an 80 degree day (tested just last week!)

Going to work, or putting around town my 10R80 simply does not warm up. Going to work, a 45 minute trip, I might not even get to 130F, and in the winter I never get above 100F. Water and Oil get fully up to temperature. I will say, once it gets to 150F or higher, the behavior improves a lot. Its actually strange how much of a difference the temperature affects it. Its like flipping a switch from awful shifting to okay shifting. But as I said, at least with mine, it is very difficult to get there.

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I am not a fan of the 10R80. I have had my car for 10k miles now and we are still not getting along too well.

Interesting. I have a 2021 as well and my normal mode is smooth as silk.. even when cold. Its when I go into sport that the car acts possesed at times. I have learned to live with the sport mode because my normal mode is such a pleasure.
Lucky.

For me, the 10R80 is the worst transmission I have ever used. Clunky as hell, harsh downshifts in normal mode. Absolutely hate it. My local dealers tell me this is normal behavior. Sport mode sounds similar to what I have. Normal and sport, I feel this transmission has no idea what its doing.

Yes, the 10R80 accelerates faster, but all of its other drawbacks, issues and oddities, I feel the 10R80 is a downgrade form the 6R80.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
This does happen to me. Maybe once a month. I have an ecoboost mustang so if it were engine related, I would think it would happen more easily to me.. To me it feels like the car is bogged down and lugging. EXCEPT, I don't think its the engine producing that feeling. Because the revs and exhaust note hold steady and normal. I cant seem to figure out when or under what conditions it happens. Its hard for me to reproduce.

Also, I think the biggest problem with the 10R80 is how fast - or rather how slow - it gets up to temperature. And I think this is where most of my problems with the 10R80 come from. 200F is NORMAL operating temperature according to Ford. I personally have never seen my temps get above 160F and that's with with hours worth of driving on an 80 degree day (tested just last week!)

Going to work, or putting around town my 10R80 simply does not warm up. Going to work, a 45 minute trip, I might not even get to 130F, and in the winter I never get above 100F. Water and Oil get fully up to temperature. I will say, once it gets to 150F or higher, the behavior improves a lot. Its actually strange how much of a difference the temperature affects it. Its like flipping a switch from awful shifting to okay shifting. But as I said, at least with mine, it is very difficult to get there.

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I am not a fan of the 10R80. I have had my car for 10k miles now and we are still not getting along too well.

Lucky.

For me, the 10R80 is the worst transmission I have ever used. Clunky as hell, harsh downshifts in normal mode. Absolutely hate it. My local dealers tell me this is normal behavior. Sport mode sounds similar to what I have. Normal and sport, I feel this transmission has no idea what its doing.

Yes, the 10R80 accelerates faster, but all of its other drawbacks, issues and oddities, I feel the 10R80 is a downgrade form the 6R80.
Never had the 10R, but I can say my 6R in my 2016 GT was a GREAT transmission.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

Lucky.

I totally agree that this transmission is night and day from cold to warmed up. Mine usually takes 15 minutes to get warm. I have the gauges in the digital dash show me and as soon as the gauge gets a 1/4" into the red its good to go into Sport + mode.
I am seriously contemplating a Lund 93 tune for $800 just for the A10 tune which everyone says they do the best with.

OP
OP
55Tele

55Tele

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the responses!!! Yes, I suspect coming up to temperature helps. Another common denominator to my “one” issue is that it had a gas fill with 87 octane prior to the occurrence….I’m back on 93….really makes no sense, but ????

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I noticed an unhappy 4-3 downshift late this winter when coasting up to a traffic light. Never had it before for during 35K km of driving. Have noticed an improvement since the weather has warmed up and the trans is getting up over 150 degrees. Considering that my wife has driven car, like, 3 times since purchase, I sometimes wish I'd gone with a manual (she can drive a stick but prefers not to).

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP
55Tele

55Tele

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Out for a 2 hour ride this afternoon......just trying to "learn my girl" here......I am the OP of this thread.......In normal mode only, I am observing that when the car is not under a lot of load, i.e. going slightly downhill....It will shift to 10th gear pretty early.....about 40mph is the lowest speed. If I apply throttle under these conditions and increase the "load", I feel the first indications of vibration and I immediately paddle downshift into 9th gear and no problem.

No problems in Sport+ because it doesn't shift into 10th until about 50mph......

Would clearing the adaptive learning table help this? Was I too "easy" on it when learning the first time? Why the premature shift to 10th? Or is this "normal"?

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Out for a 2 hour ride this afternoon......just trying to "learn my girl" here......I am the OP of this thread.......In normal mode only, I am observing that when the car is not under a lot of load, i.e. going slightly downhill....It will shift to 10th gear pretty early.....about 40mph is the lowest speed. If I apply throttle under these conditions and increase the "load", I feel the first indications of vibration and I immediately paddle downshift into 9th gear and no problem.

No problems in Sport+ because it doesn't shift into 10th until about 50mph......

Would clearing the adaptive learning table help this? Was I too "easy" on it when learning the first time? Why the premature shift to 10th? Or is this "normal"?
It's the same on my 21 Mach 1
I'm taking mine in on Tuesday to have the newest calibration loaded in the CPU. TSB on harsh shifts. Probably won't fix that but I will see what it improves before I dump $800 on a Lund Tune to fix it all.