Final gut check - about to buy a GT350

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
C'mon bro, seriously? We could all be driving Camaro's or Fat cat's.. S550 is around for all of us to enjoy.. Eco to Predator.
Sponsored

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Your profile says 2017. By then, FoMoCo figured out that you can't make a car like this without coolers.

Keep knocking on wood, because you have one of those Gen 1 engines that can blow at any time...... At least according to the Mach 1 trolls.
Nope, Gen 2 now... The Gen 1 didn't blow, just gulped oil. My Gen 2 has no oil appetite, but it does have piston slap until it is warmed up.

Love the 350, best car I've ever owned. Best handling, best sounding, and best looking mustang ever. It makes me smile. I don't need it to be faster than the next car, I just enjoy driving it. That said, I am knocking on wood on the engine longevity.

And, FWIW, the Mach 1 guy needs to go away. I/we don't need his 350 opinions.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Nope, Gen 2 now... The Gen 1 didn't blow, just gulped oil. My Gen 2 has no oil appetite, but it does have piston slap until it is warmed up.

Love the 350, best car I've ever owned. Best handling, best sounding, and best looking mustang ever. It makes me smile. I don't need it to be faster than the next car, I just enjoy driving it. That said, I am knocking on wood on the engine longevity.

And, FWIW, the Mach 1 guy needs to go away. I/we don't need his 350 opinions.
I was kidding. I still have gen 1 engines. My 2017 TY R I used to track didnt owe me anything. I have a friend who tracks his 2018 like crazy and he has no issues.

Its funny how stuff on the internet gets spun.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Guilty. But it's nifty when a publication takes some air out of the Shelby sails. But then again you can say the same for ALL the so-called rank orders that are within half a second. So now everyone can trot out the old saw about not same day same driver to pretend their car of choice didn't really lose.

I would like to see a proper heads up and didn't begrudge either car losing.
Just trotting out facts. Journalism today no matter the area is about clicks views and likes, not about a true comparison. Many journalists are lazy and dont want to take the time to do their homework. This story is the prime example. They had an opportunity for another story here. Hey look what we found. Lets get a Shelby and put them both on track together.

I'm not sure what air you are talking about. Maybe your perception but I haven't met an owner who thinks about their car in relation to others choices. I know they are out there but its rare and they would be the same no matter what they choose to own.

PS Congrats OP, you are going to really enjoy that car

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350, 57-tbird, 61 Galaxie, 2014 Wrangler unlimited rubicon, and a 1999 F150
Also if you plan on really beating on the car i'd get the '17+ oil filter assembly
Faster in what way? 0-60 or lap times? Everyone knows the voodoo doesn't wake up until about 3500 RPM
Lap times at the ROVAL Charlotte motor speedway.
It was close, had i have been on the same tires it probably would have been a different story... i would gain on him down the straight and in the banked turns. it was the infield he'd pull on.

Sponsored

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350, 57-tbird, 61 Galaxie, 2014 Wrangler unlimited rubicon, and a 1999 F150
I have a little over 50k miles on mine. She's a daily.

Consumes no oil gets taken to redline every chance i have enough clear road to do so (and the oil is up to temp.)

Concretevol

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thought I'd add my opinion since everyone has one. lol I have a 2016 "Tech Pack" (scare quotes) that is a track car and weekend driver. Yes I added a transmission cooler after a limp mode day at Road Atlanta. No you do not need one if you aren't tracking the car, no matter how spirited a driver you are on the road. It will do 15 to 20 minutes of track driving before getting too hot and you never ever will do that on the road. I did not go with Ford's solution of new transmission and cooler kit. I built my own with an external pump and it has worked like a champ. Gen 1 engine, around 28k miles and no issues. I say buy the damn car and have a blast!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Also if you plan on really beating on the car i'd get the '17+ oil filter assembly

Lap times at the ROVAL Charlotte motor speedway.
It was close, had i have been on the same tires it probably would have been a different story... i would gain on him down the straight and in the banked turns. it was the infield he'd pull on.
Was this at the track attack?

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Nope, just another event. I was familiar with the track though from track attack.

Sponsored

Homebrw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR,18 EB Vert,12 GT500 Vert, 05 V6 Vert
I'm think I'm out of here on this thread. In my opinion calling anyone else's Mustang a POS is just mean and elitist.. I like them all. Includes Ecoboost, and I would never tell someone that they are stupid for buying the Mustang they like and can afford. I like cars, car people and especially Mustangs. Just because I wouldn't buy the new new GT500 because I want a manual tranny doesn't mean my lowly convertible GT is a worthless "piece of crap," nor does it mean GT500 owners are dumb for spending 2x what I did. If we go that route, GT500 owners should look down on everyone including GT350 owners. I love seeing the younger generation driving the new S550 EBs BTW! There is hope.

We can all enjoy what we have without saying "my car is greater than yours!". I think they are all great and everyone has a Mustang soul-mate.

Last edited:

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Yes, post 115. It’s been a shit show since. I’m going to pm OP to ask him to start a new thread when he gets it. This thread is dead.
okay thanks. fwiw in my hard earned wisdom (1980 VW Wagen was one..) some folks "psych" themselves into a car so much it just doesn't matter what red flags there are, they're "too far in" to see it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Did the OP buy the 350?? Whole lotta shit talkin' goin on I got lost.
Yes, he did. This thread has been over for a long time. It has turned into some kind of amusement park.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.