Sponsored

FFTEC EcoCore FMIC Special Introductory Pricing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Neo, we can get together and install both of ours at the same time if your down. I have only helped install a new intercooler on my focus st. It was a bit scary but we got through it. We can learn together.
Yeah, that'd be awesome. PM'd.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
That's what I used.

It's a little tricky actually getting the old one out, and there's a trick getting the new one in. But if you take your time it's easy.
Can you give more details on the trick? :)

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Can you give more details on the trick? :)
It'll make more sense when you are looking at it but here goes...

When you start raising the IC into place from the bottom you need to start with it slid to the drivers side of the car so the passenger side inlet on the IC has clearance to move upward. Once you are clear on the passenger side move it back towards the center of the car until you are in place. You will probably have to move the IC several times to see how much of the plastic wind deflector needs to be cut off in order to fit the IC.

Check my thread about the Stage 4 install to see what you have to cut.

Edit: I don't have a trick to get the old IC out, but there has to be one because it's a PITA.

Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Awesome, thanks!
Just remember, the IC doesn't have to tip forward or backward, it will slide straight up if you mess with it. That'll keep you from damaging your AC condenser.

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Just remember, the IC doesn't have to tip forward or backward, it will slide straight up if you mess with it. That'll keep you from damaging your AC condenser.
Yup, thanks for the advice. One question... What did you use to trim the plastic pieces?

And, did you have to add a lot of aditional coolant?

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Yup, thanks for the advice. One question... What did you use to trim the plastic pieces?

And, did you have to add a lot of aditional coolant?
I just used some metal shears, but you could also use some heavy duty scissors or anything like that. It's not really thick plastic.

Also not sure what coolant you mean. I didn't have to drain any fluid for the install.

Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
If the grill shutters have already been removed is there still stuff to trim?
Yeah, there's plastic that channels air into the the stock intercooler that's in the way of the end tanks on the upgraded IC. Need to cut it for clearance. It's not something you can see when everything is back together. You also wouldn't be able to see it if you returned the car to stock unless you took the bumper off.

OP
OP
David@FFtec

David@FFtec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1992 Eagle Talon, Porsche 944 Turbo
Yeah, there's plastic that channels air into the the stock intercooler that's in the way of the end tanks on the upgraded IC. Need to cut it for clearance. It's not something you can see when everything is back together. You also wouldn't be able to see it if you returned the car to stock unless you took the bumper off.
Yes, good info. After the lower shutters are removed there's just two 4x4 sections of flat, black plastic on either side of the fmic that need to be trimmed off. Like he said, you'll see it once you look at it. It's an easy, straight cut.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Yes, good info. After the lower shutters are removed there's just two 4x4 sections of flat, black plastic on either side of the fmic that need to be trimmed off. Like he said, you'll see it once you look at it. It's an easy, straight cut.
I actually just notched mine for clearance, but if I did it again I would likely cut them straight off as David suggested to save the trial and error when fitting the IC.

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I just used some metal shears, but you could also use some heavy duty scissors or anything like that. It's not really thick plastic.

Also not sure what coolant you mean. I didn't have to drain any fluid for the install.
I'm a noob, nevermind lol

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
A DREMEL or grinder with a diamond disc is doing a very good job to cut plastic too. My 2 cent.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.