Sponsored

Ferrari People Here?

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
So I’ve been rolling the idea around in my head for a bit... I’ve wanted a Ferrari since I was a kid.

New ones are out of this world crazy money here in Ontario, but used I can find some good buys and even import from the USA. Looking at the ‘16-18 California T model because it’s my style. Hardtop convertible in a GT type style. Yes, the 458 or 488 may be a tad quicker, but this is just more my style.

I’ve been perusing the Ferrari chat forum (similar to this forum) looking at info and history and finding out what to look for before buying used.

Wow! I can tell you in my search, when these things break - more frequently than not, they are ridiculously expensive to fix! Kind of scares me really... spend 100k for a car and then have an issue and another 40k to fix. Yearly service by Ferrari about 5k. I’m still trying to find out if any DIY can be done as I like to tinker and do things myself.

So my questions; anyone here owned a newer Ferrari? What were your experiences? I know the Mustang can nickel and dime us, whereas the Ferrari is likely to k and 5k me.

Performance speaks for itself. It’s a Ferrari. Twin turbo 3.9 V8. Cali T 0-60 in 3.5 and 1/4 in the 10s. So fast enough. Sound is amazing. But man oh man, the repair bills would kill me!

So after the limited information I have so far, I’m totally rethinking this now... as much as my boyhood dream car is a Ferrari, there’s really no other car I would want as my “toy” than my mustang, so not wanting ideas of other cars. The mustang and Ferrari are not in the same class or league whatsoever. Hard to compare one to the other if you know what I mean. My mustang has better acceleration than the Cali T, but as far as handling etc, not even close. But I don’t use this car to carve corners...

The Ferrari is car I drooled about as a kid. But as I delve deeper into this, I am realizing that ownership may have a price and that price isn’t just admission or purchasing the car but the cost to own, upkeep and repair it because when things go wrong, the zeroes add up in a hurry! So even scratching up entry cost, the worry would be driving it and something happening... sure if you buy a certified Ferrari by Ferrari of America you can get a warranty for a tad under 5k per year, but that’s crazy to even think about.

Tell me I’m nuts and this is a stupid move. My wife has already lol.

I don’t know... thoughts and ideas? Call a spade a spade here folks.

The last thing I want is a garage queen that I’m afraid to drive for fear of it breaking or putting miles on it because the cost upkeep and brakes etc.
Thanks!
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've always wanted a Ferrari since I was a kid. Still do, but judging about how anal I am about my non-driver Mustangs, I think I'd drive myself nuts having one. I had a chance once to buy a nice 328 at a decent price but maintenance and parts expense scared me off'; I should have done it since the values have jumped and I could have made a nice profit. The newer stuff is above my pay grade, unfortunately, but are much more reliable cars. I'm going to have to settle for my display case of a couple dozen of the red (there is no other color, IMO) beauties from Italy.

Porsches are another one I've lusted after since I built a model of a yellow '70s Carrera as a kid, and a Cayman GTS has been an attraction lately I could reasonably afford to buy new. They're also in another league than the Mustang, much higher build quality all around.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I've always wanted a Ferrari since I was a kid. Still do, but judging about how anal I am about my non-driver Mustangs, I think I'd drive myself nuts having one. I had a chance once to buy a nice 328 at a decent price but maintenance and parts expense scared me off'; I should have done it since the values have jumped and I could have made a nice profit. The newer stuff is above my pay grade, unfortunately, but are much more reliable cars. I'm going to have to settle for my display case of a couple dozen of the red (there is no other color, IMO) beauties from Italy.

Porsches are another one I've lusted after since I built a model of a yellow '70s Carrera as a kid, and a Cayman GTS has been an attraction lately I could reasonably afford to buy new. They're also in another league than the Mustang, much higher build quality all around.
You are absolutely right... RED is the bomb!

the reliability and cost of repairs scares the crap out of me as well...

8DC5FC02-5329-4E03-A211-D8736FCE3F90.jpeg

-RAC-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
I use to hang out with a lot of Fcar and Lcar owners. I was very close several times on buying a Fcar. That world is filled with traps and honestly I can't afford it. There is no such thing as a cheap Fcar. Buying is the easiest part. You need some deep pockets when things go wrong. IF you buy right and a GOOD car yearly cost is low. BUT, that day will come when the big bill is due. Like when you need to change out the belts. That is an engine out service on most older cars. Big bill every five years. Easy $20,000.

A dear friend of mine has a large collection of cars and I helped him build it. He has several Fcars and Lcars. Last year his 430 Scud and his 2010 Murci SV both needed a hydraulic pump rebuild. He did not use the dealer and scoured a company that was able to do the work. $15,000 and $18,000 just to rebuild the pumps.

Then there was a day when a mechanic forgot to lock tight the fastens to his carbon fiber rear diffuser after an oil change. Well, driving down the road at 80 mph one side of the fasteners vibrate lose. That was a $35,000 mistake, at least the shop stood behind their work and paid for it. Or there is the time when a mechanic drain the wrong oil out and forgot to replace it. My buddy drove two mile and it destroyed the gear box. He spent $25,000 on a gear box that would not work on his Testarossa. Another mistake from a mechanic. It has been over 6 years and the car is still not fixed. But that is another story altogether. Or when the time when his 67 Lambo GT400 lost the exhause tip. $5000 to replace it. that was just one side.

On the new cars good luck if a computer goes out. you will not find a replacement. Which is why there is no Aventador SV in the collection.

Then there are the Ferrari people. There are a few good people but most are people i don't want to spend time with. I remember being at a Ferrari club BBQ, I was a club member, I was talking with a guy who had a new F430 but did not drive it to the event. Why? It would put a 100 miles round trip on the car. Why bother buying the car then? Then there is FChat. Don't know if RL still runs the site but I have a special place for that POS. I have had a few run ins with that piece of work.

So I never bought the Fcar. Honestly if I had the money now I would be spending it on a Lambo. But I did buy a few Porsche 911's. One thing I noticed at the track was most of these Fcar guys never ran the Fcar on the track very long. Most of these guys use a Porsche 911 as their track toys and I know why. You can beat the crap out of the 911 all day long on the track and then drive it home and take your lady out for dinner. Can not do that with a Fcar.

I can go on and on.

-RAC-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Funny, In a way my Shelby is a poor man Ferrari or Lambo. My Shelby sounds better then the F355. The F355 was my favorite sounding car. Now it's number two.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Truly appreciate your insight. Sounds like what I’ve been reading on the Ferrari Chat forum. Not sure who’s running it though.
I had a 91 911 C2 back in 93 when I lived in Florida. Fun car but clumsy and small. My wife was not a fan or the quirky shifter and floor mounted gas pedal lol. Went to one auto cross with it with the Miata club and then actually sold it and got a new Miata lol. That was a fun car! Likely the funnest (maybe one of the slowest though) cars I’ve ever had. I’m sure the newer Porsche’s are nothing like that relic though. But not soul moving. But Ferraris, well I’ve always loved them since I was a kid. The heart says do it. The head says it’s a silly idea. The wife just shakes her head. My investor says buy it and park it. That’s exactly what I don’t want to do. I have no interest in buying it to say I have it but don’t drive it because of fear of repairs and maintenance.
The more I read the F-Chat forum the more I realize that it may not be the right thing to do.
I’m not settling though and don’t feel that way. I love my Mustang. It’s a sweet car. I completely enjoy driving it.
It moves my soul... maybe not like a Ferrari though lol.

-RAC-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
I heard you 5x5.

I would love to have one too. A 308 GTB or 328 GTB I would love to have but mom in her mini-van will kick your ass from the light. But, it's a Fcar. I was temped by a F355 awhile back. But my eye are wide open and that is the key. You better understand what you are buying and what can happen. Can be wonderful experience or a hellish nightmare if you don't understand.

I will say this; my Shelby is as every bit of fun as any of the Fcars I have ever driven. Not joking at all. It also gets more attention than any Porsche I have ever had. I also do not get boxed in by other drivers with their damn cell phones out like when I drive one of the Lambos or Ferraris.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Buy the car, put car in a nice clean garage (showroom style), don't drive.

On the weekends open garage door, sit in cheap lawn chair with a cooler beside you and look at it.

2-5 years install new battery and sell.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS

On the weekends open garage door, sit in cheap lawn chair with a cooler beside you and look at it.

These cars lose value if the maintenance isn't kept up. Things need to be done according to Ferrari even if the car isn't driven.

Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
So I’ve been rolling the idea around in my head for a bit... I’ve wanted a Ferrari since I was a kid.

New ones are out of this world crazy money here in Ontario, but used I can find some good buys and even import from the USA. Looking at the ‘16-18 California T model because it’s my style. Hardtop convertible in a GT type style. Yes, the 458 or 488 may be a tad quicker, but this is just more my style.

I’ve been perusing the Ferrari chat forum (similar to this forum) looking at info and history and finding out what to look for before buying used.

Wow! I can tell you in my search, when these things break - more frequently than not, they are ridiculously expensive to fix! Kind of scares me really... spend 100k for a car and then have an issue and another 40k to fix. Yearly service by Ferrari about 5k. I’m still trying to find out if any DIY can be done as I like to tinker and do things myself.

So my questions; anyone here owned a newer Ferrari? What were your experiences? I know the Mustang can nickel and dime us, whereas the Ferrari is likely to k and 5k me.

Performance speaks for itself. It’s a Ferrari. Twin turbo 3.9 V8. Cali T 0-60 in 3.5 and 1/4 in the 10s. So fast enough. Sound is amazing. But man oh man, the repair bills would kill me!

So after the limited information I have so far, I’m totally rethinking this now... as much as my boyhood dream car is a Ferrari, there’s really no other car I would want as my “toy” than my mustang, so not wanting ideas of other cars. The mustang and Ferrari are not in the same class or league whatsoever. Hard to compare one to the other if you know what I mean. My mustang has better acceleration than the Cali T, but as far as handling etc, not even close. But I don’t use this car to carve corners...

The Ferrari is car I drooled about as a kid. But as I delve deeper into this, I am realizing that ownership may have a price and that price isn’t just admission or purchasing the car but the cost to own, upkeep and repair it because when things go wrong, the zeroes add up in a hurry! So even scratching up entry cost, the worry would be driving it and something happening... sure if you buy a certified Ferrari by Ferrari of America you can get a warranty for a tad under 5k per year, but that’s crazy to even think about.

Tell me I’m nuts and this is a stupid move. My wife has already lol.

I don’t know... thoughts and ideas? Call a spade a spade here folks.

The last thing I want is a garage queen that I’m afraid to drive for fear of it breaking or putting miles on it because the cost upkeep and brakes etc.
Thanks!
For me it is not the 'entry price' it is the cost of ownership. Puts Ferrari off my list. I have a buddy with one. It's been sitting 3 years because he doesn't have the $$ to rebuild/repair the top end, and transaxle/clutch work it needs, and he can't do it himself.

Food for thought.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
For me it is not the 'entry price' it is the cost of ownership. Puts Ferrari off my list. I have a buddy with one. It's been sitting 3 years because he doesn't have the $$ to rebuild/repair the top end, and transaxle/clutch work it needs, and he can't do it himself.

Food for thought.
Exactly my fear and realization.

Lol. Not going to happen. Kind of like having a beautiful piece of art I guess... nah. I’d feel guilty if I didn’t up my lawn chair game as well.
What’s a specialle battery worth? 10k?

Found these... not bad for 3k each...

DB0662A6-6EAA-4868-8FA8-15D9344528BE.jpeg

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Then there are the Ferrari people. There are a few good people but most are people i don't want to spend time with. I remember being at a Ferrari club BBQ, I was a club member, I was talking with a guy who had a new F430 but did not drive it to the event. Why? It would put a 100 miles round trip on the car. Why bother buying the car then?
You get those types with every marque. When I owned my '07 GT500, I met more than a few fellow owners that were utter and complete douchebags. It's a Mustang, and just a fucking car. I never understood that mentality, and never will. The great thing about the latter point on not driving a car is there are always a lot of nice examples available when these guys move on to the next big thing.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Rule of Thumb: Don't buy a Ferrari unless you can afford 2 Ferraris.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Love the “two ferraris” comment. The truth scares me...
Sponsored