Sponsored

Factory Wheel Bros

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
When I first got the car and it had the factory AS 255s, I didn’t think the car was very fast.

Bought some PP wheels and tires and come to find out it just has a really good traction control system.

Get some meat and go fast.
Sponsored

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Some of the options out there are very good looking but...I wonder how many of the larger diameter and broader width aftermarket wheels out there are truly lighter than the smaller sized factory wheels.

Strength and durability also probably vary a bit depending on price. Having to use spacers or hub rings is also a discouraging factor for me personally.
PP1 wheels are 32lbs a piece. My 19x10.5" Japanese-made wheels are 9.8kg (21.56lbs) a piece. A lot of the common ones are lighter. Ford makes a heavy OEM wheel. And I'm confident mine are stronger than OEM.

Extended studs slip-on spacers is no issue as is evidenced by the large amount of folks who run them on track. And I've personally never had an issue with hub rings.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Some of the options out there are very good looking but...I wonder how many of the larger diameter and broader width aftermarket wheels out there are truly lighter than the smaller sized factory wheels.

Strength and durability also probably vary a bit depending on price. Having to use spacers or hub rings is also a discouraging factor for me personally.
My summer set are 20x10 from SVE (flow formed, not forged) with 285/35r20 Continental ECS. I save +/- 5lbs on the wheels compared to the stock wheels and the tires are about a pound lighter than the Blizzaks that I run on the stock wheels. So I’m saving +/- 6lbs per corner in the summer. Not a ton but you can save a little weight going bigger than stock. You’ll see even greater weight savings in the 19” aftermarket wheels.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform

Hello there. You are correct about there being some good-looking options out there. And like the rest of us, trying to find a wheel that has the right balance to suit your specific needs is a tough one. I often wondered why the car makers just don't "do it right" from the start. And what I mean by this is, to equip these cars with a great-looking wheel from the factory. But, then there would be no need for aftermarket wheels. And then there is the topic of trying to find a wheel that provides Strength and Durability. There are many out there, and the prices vary. A lot of enthusiasts love the idea of getting a good wheel that checks off many boxes on their lists, but the sticker price can be very high. But you know, there are some options out there. And I say that because I have explored some. And the one wheel that stood out to me was the Project6GR Wheel Brand, it provided me with everything that I could ever want for an aftermarket wheel. I get it all with this wheel, Strength, Durability, Great Fitment, Custom Finishes, and the Price is right. It is a wheel that was designed specifically with your Mustang in mind and a lot went into its production. Decreasing the wheel's mass was a focal point, along with increasing the performance of your Mustang. The industry is heavily saturated with aftermarket wheels, and something speaks to us all. This makes personalizing your car and dialing in the perfect fitment an enthusiast's dream.

Stay Safe.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Thanks guys. Interestingly all 3 sets of wheels posted here appear to have small variations in design.

Also, is it just me or do these vaguely have a small resemblance to the old Mach1 wheels?
1994-2004-mustang-mach-1-style_9f2647dc.jpg
Those really look like 2003-4 Mach 1 oem wheels.

Sponsored

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
On the factory wheel boat as well. I really disliked the refreshed black accent 5 spoke wheels at first, but after owning them I really like the look they have. As said by others, I just wish they were a bit wider. I have a set of 4 rear PP1 wheels that I need to put some sticky rubber on as well..hopefully to do some track time at some point.

IMO it's hard to find aftermarket wheels that really complement a car/designed for that car. If you're really deep into racing/autocrossing though then it becomes more function>form.

Also can't help but to say that Ford has really recycled their S550 wheels too - the HPP base wheels are pre-facelift black accent wheels/50th anniversary wheels and the "new" 5 spoke black accent wheels are black painted optional 5 spoke wheels.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
PP1 wheels are 32lbs a piece. My 19x10.5" Japanese-made wheels are 9.8kg (21.56lbs) a piece. A lot of the common ones are lighter. Ford makes a heavy OEM wheel. And I'm confident mine are stronger than OEM.

Extended studs slip-on spacers is no issue as is evidenced by the large amount of folks who run them on track. And I've personally never had an issue with hub rings.
Doubt they are stronger unless you bought true foraged wheels at 1500-3000 dollars per wheel. Those flow forged wheels (fancy word. Play for a cast wheel run on a mandrel. ) Are "special." But sell well.
Marketing department What if we call cast wheel " flow forged"

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

Spacers are often used with OEM wheels for cosmetic reasons, while many aftermarket wheels are designed for these cars with offsets that give a more flush fitment without them. Project 6GR, Apex, Steeda, and SVE are some examples. Not a discouraging factor at all if you pick the right wheels.

While the smaller OEM wheels are indeed lighter than PP1, an 18x8 wheel is just too small to accommodate tire sizes these cars deserve.

Deleted member 35644

I strayed to aftermarket (Niche Targa) once on my first '17 V6, but ended up getting tired of them quickly. These particular Ford wheels just check all my boxes and they're it for me. Haven't seen anything else I like better on this car.
Screenshot_20220808-101149-456.png