Factory Paint Flaw

mldonovan82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Hey guys, as you can see I have a small flaw on my 2021 Mach 1. It was like this from the factory/dealer. I purchased it brand new with 9 miles on it. Can any of you check your cars to see if you have a similar issue? I don’t want to have it painted, but I’m curious if anyone has similar luck to myself. This is the base spoiler as you can see.

1CD8B095-D535-4526-8A6E-620BF14761AA.jpeg

8041C60D-1DBB-4603-8147-F89BFD404D05.jpeg
Sponsored

FlatRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N0404
Checked on mine, didn’t see any issues. Keep us posted.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Good here. Not enough resolution to see the details, but is it something on or in the paint? I can’t tell from the pics. Looks like trapped dried paste wax.

OP
OP
mldonovan82

mldonovan82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
It looks like delaminated paint to me. You can see what I believe is gray primer underneath. I’d like to believe it’s something on the surface, but I don’t think so. Not sure if I should try cleaning it. I don’t want to make it worse. The other side has a little bit too. Much harder to see though. Probably won’t get picked up on my camera. I just assumed it was an issues with when they installed the wing. Maybe the paint wasn’t fully cured. I’m speculating thought…

Sponsored

TruckandRoll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 1964 Mercury Comet, 1995 GMC Sierra
Not the same issue but on my 2021 Mach 1 (velocity blue) I've been a bit underwhelmed by the paint, fit, and finish. I'll have to try and get a picture of the hood but I swear it's not blended right in one spot. Almost appears darker than the rest of the blue. Definitely a bummer when you spend this kind of coin on a new vehicle.

gfitzge2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mach 1 M1545
Good here. Not enough resolution to see the details, but is it something on or in the paint? I can’t tell from the pics. Looks like trapped dried paste wax.
It could be that. Maybe some leftover from the dealer prep.

I think that is foam tape

The wing is held on with 4 bolts but also some double sided foam tape. I think that is what you are seeing. They got it a little too close to the edge.

I would probe the area with a piece of paper Like a business card that should help you figure it out. It doesn't look like paint flaw to me.

Dealer should remove the wing, clean it up and re apply the tape a little further inboard.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The wing is held on with 4 bolts but also some double sided foam tape. I think that is what you are seeing. They got it a little too close to the edge.

I would probe the area with a piece of paper Like a business card that should help you figure it out. It doesn't look like paint flaw to me.

Dealer should remove the wing, clean it up and re apply the tape a little further inboard.
Now that you mention that it does look raised, and the edges of the foam tape would catch the wax like a magnet.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
kinda looks like 3m tape that got too close to the edge. looks darker than the paint but lighter than the spoiler paint.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mldonovan82

mldonovan82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1

425E68FE-FD95-4B1D-8254-3B5E4E784E6E.png

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
It does appear to be tape. Clicking on the photo, the item has a hard edge, like there is something in-between the wing and the deck lid.

OP
OP
mldonovan82

mldonovan82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Sort of an update— I spoke to another M1 owner in the Facebook groups and apparently this is a common issue with the M1 base spoiler. He knows of more people with the same issue. Ford has paid for repaint in at least one case, but the issue seemed to resurface (no pun intended) again. Maybe the spoiler is a bad design? Maybe the paint was too soft when the spoiler was installed?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They’ve been putting the same spoiler on since my 2016 GT and maybe 2015 as well. Not sure why suddenly an issue.
Sponsored